Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,051 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Husband considering a job offer in midtown, moving the fam ( 10 yo, 13yo and dog) to Manhattan vs. boring old suburbs with brutal long commute. Looking at upper West Side. Question: Is is impossible to get the kids into a private school, competing against people that have been on the wait list since they were embryos? Are there any slots for older kids to move in to gifted and talented testing schools ( assuming they are as smart as we think they are, ha ha) UWS: what streets are districted to the "best" public elementary/middle/high schools? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefries View Post
Hi,
Husband considering a job offer in midtown, moving the fam ( 10 yo, 13yo and dog) to Manhattan vs. boring old suburbs with brutal long commute. Looking at upper West Side. Question: Is is impossible to get the kids into a private school, competing against people that have been on the wait list since they were embryos? Are there any slots for older kids to move in to gifted and talented testing schools ( assuming they are as smart as we think they are, ha ha) UWS: what streets are districted to the "best" public elementary/middle/high schools? thanks!
Before CD answers your question, we need some back info on you.

Where are you living now?
How much will you and your husband make?
How much money are you willing to spend on school for kids?
Is the Upper West Side the only section in NYC that you want to live in?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Default details

We are moving from Boston suburbs. Would plan to sell our house/cars and think we can budget about 8k/mo for rent, And could swing private tuition for the older child ( yeah I know, 35 k for day school) if we could find a place with openings. Upper West side seems like family friendly, relatively green, and decent commute for my husband, and I will likely be looking for hospital based job eventually, so good options there as well. Also would consider Battery Park, but seems a little to "planned community" to me....? any other suggestions?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM

You should consider buying a house in New Jersey, Westchester or Long Island. You could find a deal with all the foreclosure houses.

If you want an apt, Upper West Side is a pretty safe area. Also, Upper East Side and also Hoboken and Exchange Place in NJ.

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent

Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM

we would really like to be in the city vs. commuting from the burbs, as we feel there would be much to offer the kids from a cultural standpoint. hoping for input re: schools for 10 and 13 year old and best places to narrow our search in order to be near said schools

Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
we would really like to be in the city vs. commuting from the burbs, as we feel there would be much to offer the kids from a cultural standpoint.hoping for input re: schools for 10 and 13 year old and best places to narrow our search in order to be near said schools
Have you ever been to NYC?? What are the genders of the 10 and 13 year old? Also, do you want to send them to a private, public, co-ed or single sex school?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM

have I been to NYC? -yes- .......? I have family there ( but they don't have kids, so not much help with my question)
I want to send them to the best school I can get them into, that would realistically have openings for a 5th and 9th grader. I would consider any type of school, public, private, co-ed, single sex.
I was hoping for feedback along the lines of: " good luck lady, it will never happen" vs. "yes- you should look in these particular areas where you will find an excellent public elementary school, or "my cousin just moved here and got here children into such and so private school, so don't give up hope"..... anyone?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
What about a Satilite city like White Plains which has decent schools and a few private schools and is only a 25min ride from Grand Central Terminal via Express train... You can buy a house with a backyard , an Apartment , condo , or townhouse.....White Plains has a dense Business disrect with shopping , cafes and restaurants aswell as great bus service to most of Westchester and connecting Counties.... Theres also great parks and diversity in White Plains.....which is higher then most cities in this region...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I want to send them to the best school I can get them into, that would realistically have openings for a 5th and 9th grader. I would consider any type of school, public, private, co-ed, single sex.
If you have $$$, then anything is possible. Private Schools List

Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
You may need to keep at least one car in the city for private schools, depending upon the school and its location, relative to your home. Horace Mann, Fieldston, and Riverdale Country Day are in the Bronx, and are good schools, but you will have to drive to Riverdale twice a day from Manhattan, unless you were to live in Riverdale. The UES is home to many private schools, and also has some good zoned neighborhood public schools, as does TriBeCa. The problem with good public schools in NYC can be overcrowding, unless the children were admitted to a gifted program such as at the Lower Lab School. Private schools can be competitive, but talk to the admissions directors about schools in which you are interested, since while many are competitive, it may not be impossible, especially if you have any connection from the current school in Boston.

I would not necessarily recommend White Plains if you were to go to Westchester. The express trains from White Plains are 35-40 minutes, not 25, and if you wanted to have good public schools in Lower Westchester, you would want to look to areas like Bronxville (competitive), Pelham, and Larchmont/Mamaroneck that are 30-minutes or less to Grand Central.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City