Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM

323 posts, read 634,004 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Trying to gather information on homeschooling in New York City. It would seem an awesome place to do it! I saw one group on the internet, a kind of support group.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
kids in NY go to regular schools where they learn how to be with other people.
I do not believe in homeschooling. Seems like hicks in the sticks with 30 kids do homeschooling, while Mom and Dad, milk the cows.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
What are your reasons for homeschooling? I'm just curious.

My personal view is that it puts the kids at a disadvantage socially and intellectually. You learn so much just by the interaction with other children and people. And then what impact does it have on them when they enter high school and college? Would you homeschool for high school too?

And why would NYC be an awesome place to homeschool? I think the opposite. Growing up here, my best memories and learning experiences are all the class trips I had *with* my classmates and teachers to all the museums and even the occasional restaurant.

Would be interesting to hear your perspective on why you are pro-homeschooling. I don't personally know anyone that would consider it.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM

357 posts, read 727,597 times
I don't have any kids but I, too, would like to know more about homeschooling options in the city and the best ways to pull it off when that time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
What are your reasons for homeschooling? I'm just curious.

My personal view is that it puts the kids at a disadvantage socially and intellectually. You learn so much just by the interaction with other children and people. And then what impact does it have on them when they enter high school and college? Would you homeschool for high school too?

And why would NYC be an awesome place to homeschool? I think the opposite. Growing up here, my best memories and learning experiences are all the class trips I had *with* my classmates and teachers to all the museums and even the occasional restaurant.

Would be interesting to hear your perspective on why you are pro-homeschooling. I don't personally know anyone that would consider it.
Is school the only place where kids come into contact with others?

The same school environment where you sit in a class all day, get punished for speaking to your neighbor and only have time to talk during your lunch period?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
I don't have any kids but I, too, would like to know more about homeschooling options in the city and the best ways to pull it off when that time comes.

Is school the only place where kids come into contact with others?

The same school environment where you sit in a class all day, get punished for speaking to your neighbor and only have time to talk during your lunch period?

School is for learning, not talking to the kid sitting next to you.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM

357 posts, read 727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]School is for learning, not talking to the kid sitting next to you.

So you will agree (with me) that the view that homeschooling puts kids at a disadvantage socially is a silly one?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
I have a friend in Manhattan who homeschooled for several years (until finances forced her to return to work). It seems there's a whole homeschooling network so they do activities together etc. When she went back to work and her kids went to school they were actually pretty advanced.

I have another friend who goes to a born-again Christian church in Manhattan - apparently lots of the church members are also homeschoolers.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
As long as the point of the homeschooling isn't to raise children in an insular philosophical environment and they get an objective exposure to a variety of beliefs and cultures -- that perhaps even their parents disagree with then fine. However, I think that its nearly impossible to do--and its a big job.

I will say that I'd rather send my kids to private school than many public schools in NYC, but if I couldn't afford that I'd rather homeschool my kids if the only other choice was one of the bad NYC public schools. The only thing your children often learn at those places is how to be a good food service worker.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Look at the NYS Education Department website. That will give you all the info and requirements. There are also a ton of homeschooling websites that will give you info you need. Also, like another poster said, there are homeschool groups that get together and take the kids on trips, etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

323 posts, read 634,004 times
nightcralwer: Are you authorized to speak for all of the children in NYC? Wow, I got the right person!

Homeschooling is not just for hicks anymore. It has spread, quickly, to areas in Westchester and CT (I lived in both). Many of the people homeschooling their children are highly educated and realize that the public school system is a wreck. Not only a wreck, but many are wondering what these people are doing to our children! Many are Christian based, many are not.

It is easy to purchase a complete, private school curriculum and homeschool using teachers (I use one for math, and have my daughter attend fine arts courses). Only one of my children is homeschooled, and its because she was in a Montessori type private school and switched to public school (they had no middle and high school). She was so bored and insulted by the prison-like atmosphere (we're talking in upper class CT now, not the 'hood). It was dehumanizing. The "history" class was ridiculous, a lesson in propaganda as to why we are involved in these wars across the globe. Most of the children were literally sleeping on their desk, and are getting sent to the principles office for hugging! No hugging! These kids just skim thru, making no connections between what they are taught and the real world. The curriculum is a bunch of mixed up, fractured information, given no relevance, and taught in an atmosphere where you study for the test, then you're done. I can confirm this as I have been a volunteer in my other child's classroom. He attends a top rated public school, and I send him for additional classes for enrichment. It is sad!

These schools are considered "pens" where teachers don't learn the material (math, science, etc..) but learn group management and how to control a population of youths. I feel for the teachers because they are locked in, given many duties outside of the classroom, and feel that they cannot really teach the kids because of everything they must do to keep up.

My daughter is mature, polite, bright and is actually better socialized than many of her peers from public school. Many of them only know how to act with their age group: my daughter is comfortable in many.

Unless you have seen the inner workings of the public schools today, its hard to comment on the situation. I know there are some awesome private and public high schools in NYC, but haven't lived there in 8 years and coming in cold to a very competitive environment in not easy to figure out. Maybe I'll send my daughter if she gets a spot, but if not, she'll do great.

As for NYC being a great place to homeshool, wow! I can't believe anyone would question this!! The "greatest city of Earth", with all it has to offer? What place could be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City