Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 12,223 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, i'm not from USA...i never been there or in NYC. I'm from Bosnia, Europe. NYC is my dream City and my dream is once in my life to live in NYC. So pls, i would like to meet a lot of people form NYC over this forum, and maybe sometimes meet someone in real life...
So pls, talk to me about NYC, how is your life there, what is the food, how good is education, what are business opportunities... talk to me about everything
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I rather live in California. Our weather here is horrible. You can never plan an outside event because you are at the mercy of mother nature.

we have brutal hot humid summers, no spring, ice cold winters and a short, very short enjoyable fall.

so for a weather aspect, nyc sucks

Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 AM

hi nightcrawler... a very simmilar weather is here too, so i will get used to it very easy...
i like cold winters, especialy during hollydays.
I like California too, but i dream about NYC even i, probably will never come there

Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 PM

61 posts, read 176,894 times
The only thing I have to say is don't believe everything you see on television. It is not all glits and glam.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenzGurl View Post
The only thing I have to say is don't believe everything you see on television. It is not all glits and glam.
True. In those dark spots, back alley, outside the beautiful lights of downtown the reality of life is mean and an everyday struggle.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 AM

i believe that's true, but i get focus on positive part of life in NY. Anywhere in the World if you don't struggle,you don't get anything...
I'm not lazy, i like to work...
My perception of NYC is made by TV shows and series...but it can't all be lie...can they?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
My perception of NYC is made by TV shows and series...but it can't all be lie...can they?
Yes. Of all the TV shows that are/were on TV, Seinfeld probably came closest to hitting close to home, but even there, how did Kramer afford an apartment without a job?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
If you can secure a job beforehand, are willing to work hard, and are really set on trying to get by here, I say give it your best shot. I wouldn't try to come without a job secured though.

That said, where are you from in Bosnia? I spent 4 months there in 1998-1999 and was lucky enough to be with an Army unit that allowed for frequent travel. I've been all over northern Bosnia and experienced a lot of the culture. Beautiful country you have there, it is a real shame what happened in the 1990's.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Banja Luka, Bosnia.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Living in NYC is very different from visiting. It's an exciting place to visit, because there so much: some of the best museums, theater, opera, dance, music, restaurants, shopping, etc., anywhere in the country. Probably more newspapers than any other American city. It's the home bases of fashion, book publishing, magazine publishing, etc. And it's full of diverse, interesting, vocal, assertive, opinionated, smart people.

But it's also a tough city. People work long hours. Housing is problematic. People tend more often to get into disputes with the city, with their landlords, etc. There's a lot of visible poverty. And right now, a lot of people struggling economically. There used to be a t-shirt with the slogan: "New York City - only the strong survive."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: