Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,496 times

Advertisements

How do I go about doing this? Last night was the first night I actually slept in my new apartment. I smelled the paint (bare in mind that my place is empty (in the sense that there are no bookshelves or TVs, or couches up covering walls.). So, should I just re-paint with a different kind of paint (some acrylic-kind of paint or something that will provide a smooth, less-chalky feel?). I know I'm technically not allowed to paint, but that's of no concern to me. Um...please recommend something as I'm one of those kind of people that doesn't like when people scratch on the chalkboard or file their niles right in front of me, I don't like this chalky feel either.

So, the smell and fell is the problem. I believe that it was painted about 3 weeks to month ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Open the windows to air out the apt. if you haven't done so yet.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Scrub the floor a couple times, air the apartment (like Chava said) afer scrubbing the outside windowsills...an immense amount of grime build up quickly.

If the old paint is chalking ask the landlord to repaint...or do it yourself. Maybe a damp rag on the walls will help.

(Same happened to me...I had the feeling of breathing dust for a long time despite scrubbing everything. I opened up the painted heat registers (thousand layers of paint) and cleaned out a few pounds of dust p ussies. Air conditioner sleeves were DISGUSTING. Vents in kitchen and bath were fire haZards till I cleaned them as best I could.)

Buy an air filter.

Is it OLD paint or is it just that you don't like the feel of a flat finish? You can do semi-gloss but personally, I hate it...it makes everything look like a bathroom or a kitchen.

Paint a color close to that "landlord white" and you won't have to repaint when you move.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM

Thank you guys for the replies. I have had the windows open and that hasn't done the trick.

Also, I don't like that feeling of a flat finish and would prefer some gloss-feel. Its funny that you mentioned bathroom, because yesterday I was over at my mother's apartment and noticed the tiled bathroom and thought, "this would feel much better than those chalky, paper-y walls that I got right now." So, a quick trip to home depot or another paint spot and they'll be able to recommend a paint based on what I'm talking about, right?

Um...you said a damp rag on the walls for now?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
Thank you guys for the replies. I have had the windows open and that hasn't done the trick.

Also, I don't like that feeling of a flat finish and would prefer some gloss-feel. Its funny that you mentioned bathroom, because yesterday I was over at my mother's apartment and noticed the tiled bathroom and thought, "this would feel much better than those chalky, paper-y walls that I got right now." So, a quick trip to home depot or another paint spot and they'll be able to recommend a paint based on what I'm talking about, right?

Um...you said a damp rag on the walls for now?
Hah Hah...I'm trying to imagine someone living in an all tiled apartment. I'm getting an image of showers at Buchenwald.
I would recommend you try too get used to the matte flat finish...it really is what most people choose over a "shiny" look but once it starts "chalking" it's time for repainting.
But if you are sure you will always hate a flat finish just go to Home Depot and pick out any color you like in SEMI GLOSS finish. Don't get high gloss, PLEASE!

But DO think it over, an entire apartment in SHINY looks worse when you see it in it's glory. A friend of mine said "semi gloss" to the landlord's painters without thinking. It was 1100 square feet and she regretted it as soon as it dried..a LOT of shiny. And she lived with it for 10 years before she moved out. (Repainting, even if it FREE is a nightmare experience.)

P.S. Consumer Reports rates flat paints and one of the items they rate on is CHALKING. See if you can dig up an old issue at the library.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-11-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Well, I will go the semi-gloss route, not only because I will prefer what it looks like, but because of the feel. My walls, all around are chalky and I just moved in. That means that whoever repainted after the last tenant moved out messed up somewhere.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Quick question I just thought of, after I move out of my apartment, will I be able to repaint it to how it is now? That is, to bring it from glossy back to flat? How would I go about doing this?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 AM

I think you can leave the semi-gloss AS LONG as it is a light color that can be successfully covered in one coat of "landlord white."
If you paint it CRIMSON be prepared for a bill if you move.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
If I were you, I would just paint it what ever I wanted to. My LL at the time only wanted the tenants to have the crappy off white color, ugh, I just painted it what I wanted and when he saw it, at some point, he just said you just have to paint it a neutral color before you move out, he wan't mad or anything.

I lived in that apartment for 5 years, so i was glad i painted it what i wanted. So when I moved, to a large apt in the same building, i just painted over the apartment with flat white paint...

we were both happy. he got painted and i got security back...but then i was staying in the same building. you could always just keep the last months rent. But I wouldnt worry about it.

it is only paint.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Thank you guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City