Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

I know what you're saying - but many studies show finanicial success, an acknowledged driver for most cultures, is linked to educational attainment - and excelling in education is more an Asian cultural phenomenon in the US, an asian possession, than a white one. So its the whites emulating the assumed culture of the asians!
I'm being persnickety about the use of "emulate" which suggests a directionality I think is backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I know what you're saying - but many studies show finanicial success, an acknowledged driver for most cultures, is linked to educational attainment - and excelling in education is more an Asian cultural phenomenon in the US, an asian possession, than a white one. So its the whites emulating the assumed culture of the asians!
I'm being persnickety about the use of "emulate" which suggests a directionality I think is backwards.
Ah, you got me there. It's always nice to get a new perspective on things.
When I used emulate I was just using it on the imiation level, becuase I don't know a word for subconsciously imitate Word choice is everything.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
What? Subcutaneously immolate? What you talkin' bout Willis?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What? Subcutaneously immolate? What you talkin' bout Willis?
I typed that post on my phone while I was out getting lunch. This Willis was a tad distracted.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
When I used emulate I was just using it on the imiation level, becuase I don't know a word for subconsciously imitate Word choice is everything.

Yea, I suppose I just pounced on that word and went with it.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM

400 posts, read 983,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Asians are the vast majority on Earth but not this country. They only make up something like 4-5% of the country's population, which is much smaller then the black or hispanic population.

So are we talking about our court or our city (New York)?

What I'm trying to say is where to do draw geographic boundary lines to determine who is a minority because it DEFINITELY varies by location.

If a chinese guy is on Jamaica Avenue and Parsons boulevard almost < 99.9% of the time he is going to be the minority.

Another example would be a Anglican man on Junction Boulevard, he in this instance, is again 99.9% of the time, the minority.

There are hardly any areas in New York City where there isnt a distinct MAJORITY.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post

I think you have no clue what you're talking about and just trying to sound smart.

How can you emulate a culture you're born into? You ARE that culture. You think black people that are educated are trying to emulate white people too? Class and education has nothing to do with race. There are tons of poor, uneducated white people, so how does your statement make any sense? This is the problem with practicing armchair psychology and not actually getting the correct education to make those kinds of statements. You have to actually do real research, not just make psychological theories up and use words you don't even know the meaning of to sound smart.

Last edited by Biskit; 12-22-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I think you have no clue what you're talking about and just trying to sound smart.

How can you emulate a culture you're born into? You ARE that culture. You think black people that are educated are trying to emulate white people too? Class and education has nothing to do with race. There are tons of poor, uneducated white people, so how does your statement make any sense? This is the problem with practicing armchair psychology and not actually getting the correct education to make those kinds of statements. You have to actually do real research, not just make psychological theories up and use words you don't even know the meaning of to sound smart.
You know, I really don't need to come across as smart. I am not trying to impress anybody on this forum. My opinion is biased and based on the experiences I've had in life so far.

I'm not sure if you read my original post leading into this, but I was giving my opinion on why Asian's are not considered minorities. In order to discover why, I had to generalize, thus coming up with the "emulation" scenario, that everyone including myself knows does not really apply to class and race. Just because I posted it does not mean that I agree with what it said, and please, sue me for misusing a word lol. I had already recognized my mistake earlier today.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 12-22-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
There are TWO BILLION CHINESE PEOPLE ON THE EARTH. They are the majority.
Technically, they are a plurality, not a majority (the largest ethnic group, but they don't make up 50% or more of the world's population)

Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
I know I am really friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City