Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Sadly, if you encounter people from small or rural areas outside of the northeast, you will hear these types of myths and stereotypes surprisingly frequently, even in the 21st century.
I met some transplant chick and when she moved to nyc she was surprised at how much Jews she have seen and met. She even asked if I was Jewish due to the fact I have a Hebrew first name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 AM

15 posts, read 34,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I truly pity such people that for superstitious (religion) reasons have not had the profound and orgasmic taste of BACON. Who in world needs pastrami when you can have a chicken breast with cheddar cheese and bacon.

If eating bacon is a sin, send me to baconfest. Pastrami.... ha
Make a Pastrami sandwich with bacon

Be the first, try something new

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
I truly pity such people that for superstitious (religion) reasons have not had the profound and orgasmic taste of BACON. Who in world needs pastrami when you can have a chicken breast with cheddar cheese and bacon.

No need to disrespect ppls religions and call it a superstition even if you don't believe it.

But to the OP this is the Jew Mecca outside of Isreal of course their accepted here

Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Sadly, if you encounter people from small or rural areas outside of the northeast, you will hear these types of myths and stereotypes surprisingly frequently, even in the 21st century.
Not in my experience. I travel throughout the United States and a few people would tell me (when the conversation arose) that they had never met a Jew. When I told them there was one standing in front of them, most would simply respond, "Oh" or "Really?" No suspicious looks or crude comments.

Most of the anti-semetic comments I have heard have been since I returned to live in the NYC area. I guess if a certain non-Jew has a bad experience with a Jew, the racist, stereotypical comments start a flying. Since the NYC area is so heavily populated by Jews, those type of incidents are more likely to occur than in place like Mobile, Alabama.

All in all, Jews are an accepted part of NYC.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

I love bacon, too, but pastrami is not the same thing!

You can have both (well, those of us who are not Jewish can anyway).

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I guess then that you pity Jesus of Nazareth, who would have lived as an observant Jew and not eaten bacon or any pork as well as not eating what would have been the early 1st Century CE equivalent of a cheeseburger.
Since the poster had to include the childish bit about religion being superstition, I doubt he'd care about what Jesus ate any more than he would about what a modern Jewish person ate.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I met some transplant chick and when she moved to nyc she was surprised at how much Jews she have seen and met. She even asked if I was Jewish due to the fact I have a Hebrew first name.
That is funny, but Jewish names are used by a lot of gentiles just by virtue of the fact that they appear in the bible.

My own great-grandfather's name was Hiram.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
In the Simpsons episode where Krusty the Klown is reunited with his estranged dad, Rabbi Hyman Krustofsky, the Krusty special sandwich in the deli consists of ham, sausage, and bacon with mayonnaise--on white bread!!!!!

It's one of my favorite episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
No need to disrespect ppls religions and call it a superstition even if you don't believe it.

But to the OP this is the Jew Mecca outside of Isreal of course their accepted here

Old 12-31-2011, 05:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
"Anytime a person goes into a delicatessen and orders a pastrami on white bread, somewhere a Jew dies." -- Milton Berle

Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 AM

15 posts, read 34,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
"Anytime a person goes into a delicatessen and orders a pastrami on white bread, somewhere a Jew dies." -- Milton Berle
Jewish humor? Great.

But Milton Berle? Not funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City