Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

I think Queensboro Plaza / Court SQ will be the next "Downtown" section of Queens , so will Jamaica. Developments will be similar to Long Island City and Jersey City. As for the Bronx , I think Fordham functions as a "Downtown" and with Staten Island , St George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM

400 posts, read 983,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think Queensboro Plaza / Court SQ will be the next "Downtown" section of Queens , so will Jamaica. Developments will be similar to Long Island City and Jersey City. As for the Bronx , I think Fordham functions as a "Downtown" and with Staten Island , St George.

I would put it between Flushing, Long Island City and Jamaica.

According to seventhfloor, if there is no courthouse than it doesn't qualify as "downtown".

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I would put it between Flushing, Long Island City and Jamaica.

According to seventhfloor, if there is no courthouse than it doesn't qualify as "downtown".
I'm just saying.....what makes Flushing so important to qualify? A lot of stores? Flatbush and Church Avenue got a lot of stores so why dont we make that downtown? Steinway Street got a few blocks of stores so lets make that downtown too. Southern Blvd in Bronx got mad stores, why isnt that a downtown?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
...Downtown usually refers to the civic/judicial/commercial centers of the borough...
Using that guideline, wouldn't Kew Gardens be considered a downtown as well? A downtown without the baggage of a "real" downtown...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying.....what makes Flushing so important to qualify? A lot of stores? Flatbush and Church Avenue got a lot of stores so why dont we make that downtown? Steinway Street got a few blocks of stores so lets make that downtown too. Southern Blvd in Bronx got mad stores, why isnt that a downtown?
There's a whole list of important places in Flushing I may have forgot to mention. But here are some of them.

QUEENS Botanical garden - 43-50 Main Street, Flushing, NY 11355

New York Hospital of QUEENS - 140-01 Booth Memorial Ave, Flushing, NY 11355

Citi Field - 126-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Flushing, NY 11368 (kind of in corona)

Flushing YMCA 138-46 Northern Blvd., Flushing, NY11354

Department of motorvehicles 30-56 Whitestone Expy # 1, Flushing, NY 11354

There's a movie theater and bowling alley on Whitestone expressway and Linden place.

Home depot, target, mc donalds burger king etc etc etc.

Flushing has a macys for Fs.

What other places have a macys? Only important centralized areas.
Herald square, Fordham, Queens Center Mall, DOWNTOWN Brooklyn and Kingsborough Mall.

The only thing really Flushing is missing is a courthouse to irrefragbly be considered a downtown.

And just like Jamaica, something like 15 buses or more pass through Flushing, there's a IRT #7 line and a LIRR station.

Like I said previously.

It depends on where you live in QUeens as to where your "designated" downtown area is. IMHO

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

What other places have a macys?
Well,Parkchester has a Macy's

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Using that guideline, wouldn't Kew Gardens be considered a downtown as well? A downtown without the baggage of a "real" downtown...
What commercial base does Kew Gardens have? It's not just the courthouses, but it's a combination of various criteria. I never said just courthouses alone. Look at what you quoted me on.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
There's a whole list of important places in Flushing I may have forgot to mention. But here are some of them.

QUEENS Botanical garden - 43-50 Main Street, Flushing, NY 11355

New York Hospital of QUEENS - 140-01 Booth Memorial Ave, Flushing, NY 11355

Citi Field - 126-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Flushing, NY 11368 (kind of in corona)

Flushing YMCA 138-46 Northern Blvd., Flushing, NY11354

Department of motorvehicles 30-56 Whitestone Expy # 1, Flushing, NY 11354

There's a movie theater and bowling alley on Whitestone expressway and Linden place.

Home depot, target, mc donalds burger king etc etc etc.

What other places have a macys? Only important centralized areas.
Herald square, Fordham, Queens Center Mall, DOWNTOWN Brooklyn and Kingsborough Mall.

The only thing really Flushing is missing is a courthouse to irrefragbly be considered a downtown.

And just like Jamaica, something like 15 buses or more pass through Flushing, there's a IRT #7 line and a LIRR station.

Like I said previously.

It depends on where you live in QUeens as to where your "designated" downtown area is. IMHO
Ok so Brooklyn has a botanical garden. So now Flatbush is downtown too.
What neighborhood doesnt have a hospital. There's a hospital 3 blocks away from me.
Citi Field....ok so now MSG isn't in Midtown, its downtown now.
DMV? ha.
The bowling alley? Only reason that's Flushing is because of the zip code. That and the movie theater are in Whitestone.
Macys???? So Staten Island Mall is downtown Staten Island now?

Come on man.

To be considered a legit downtown, the neighborhood has to be a civic center, judicial center, major commercial shopping area for the borough, and transportation hub. Nobody from Queens shops in Flushing unless they're from Flushing or northern Queens. But the whole borough shops in Jamaica and the whole borough goes to court in Jamaica (Housing/Civil). Not to mention Jamaica's various options for transit. Queens is just so big, that if affords several neighborhoods the opportunity to claim the distinction. But Flushing 'tis not.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Ok so Brooklyn has a botanical garden. So now Flatbush is downtown too.
What neighborhood doesnt have a hospital. There's a hospital 3 blocks away from me.
Citi Field....ok so now MSG isn't in Midtown, its downtown now.
DMV? ha.
The bowling alley? Only reason that's Flushing is because of the zip code. That and the movie theater are in Whitestone.
Macys???? So Staten Island Mall is downtown Staten Island now?

Come on man.

To be considered a legit downtown, the neighborhood has to be a civic center, judicial center, major commercial shopping area for the borough, and transportation hub. Nobody from Queens shops in Flushing unless they're from Flushing or northern Queens. But the whole borough shops in Jamaica and the whole borough goes to court in Jamaica (Housing/Civil). Not to mention Jamaica's various options for transit. Queens is just so big, that if affords several neighborhoods the opportunity to claim the distinction. But Flushing 'tis not.
Its not just the Botanical Garden, "but it's a combination of various criteria".

Its like I said before, just look at a bus map, where do all the buses go? To the centralized DOWNTOWN areas.

Northeast QUeens = Flushing
Southeast QUeens = Jamaica
Western QUeens = Long Island City/Astoria

Central QUeens is a toss up as to one specific centralized neighborhood. I guess the whole QUeens Boulevard is it.

There is no ONE guarenteed without a doubt "downtown" for all of QUeens but if you look at it, each quadrant has a downtown area.

One more thing.

"Downtown Flushing is the largest urban center in Queens"
vhttp://queens.about.com/cs/neighborhoods/a/tour_flushing.htm

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Its not just the Botanical Garden, "but it's a combination of various criteria".

Its like I said before, just look at a bus map, where do all the buses go? To the centralized DOWNTOWN areas.

Northeast QUeens = Flushing
Southeast QUeens = Jamaica
Western QUeens = Long Island City/Astoria

Central QUeens is a toss up as to one specific centralized neighborhood. I guess the whole QUeens Boulevard is it.

There is no ONE guarenteed without a doubt "downtown" for all of QUeens but if you look at it, each quadrant has a downtown area.

One more thing.

"Downtown Flushing is the largest urban center in Queens"
vhttp://queens.about.com/cs/neighborhoods/a/tour_flushing.htm
I'll just repeat my last quote:

"Queens is just so big, that it affords several neighborhoods the opportunity to claim the distinction. But Flushing 'tis not."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City