Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
The very same thing is true of transit workers. And yes, being on board,is being on call/standby, it is not getting paid to sit around while they have no intention to send you out. The majority of the time, you do pick up work when someone drops out sick, shows up late, doesn't show up, or becomes restricted.

It makes the day go by much faster when you have something to do, but that is not always the way things work out.
But in this particular case, they had no intention of sending them out. They sent them home because they didn't have enough space for them.

The point is that since they had a workforce sufficient to run regular service, they should've done just that. They weren't putting them on standby like any other day. They were just keeping them around because they had it listed as a regular workday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Downtown & Brooklyn words are on the side of where the train is entering ,its always placed like that...
Not necessarily. You have the local stations on the Central Park West Line (going Uptown) where the trains come from the opposite direction (they would come from the side that says "(5) to Bowling Green"). Yes, generally that rule works, but not in all cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM

115 posts, read 394,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Thanks nybbler. It's possible there were signs but not now. This is the sign at the entrance and it doesn't note a lower level. When I was on the "c" level, there were no signs indicating a lower level. There were exit signs and "E" train but for anyone who isn't familiar with that station
Little word of wisdom - the entrance signs aren't going to tell you how many levels there are - think of how awkward that would look somewhere like Atlantic Ave or Times Square - the B/Q over here, the 4/5 on the center platform, the 2/3 on either side of that depending on which direction, the N/R/D over on yet another platform......

Also, I find hte signage mostly intelligible, but that may be because I'm so used to it. The Exit/E sign that you were referring to intuitively means to me that if I want to do either of those things, I should head in the direction that the arrow points.

$0.02

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Fred or Mike, is there any way to make sense out of the lights at the ends of the station...red or green. Can I assume the train will always be heading towards a green light if there is one?>
Surprisingly enough, the answer to that question is, "No." Because some stations have signals going in the other direction--in case a train has to be turned back at that location. (The people who actually built the subway were pretty foresighted!)

It's not a good idea to say that most trains will come into a station left-to-right...because that's not always true. I think that when you get right down to it, it's a question of learning the particular stations by observation.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Yesterday, I found out that that Fred is right. Signals on the Westbound E platform nt 53rd and Fifth showed double red lights in both directions at the tunnel opening (and then BLUE lights a block further in???) although there were a couple of the hanging numbers at the entrance back into the tunnel thus I could glean the train was going TOWARDS the numbers.

But then going North on the #6 at 51st and Lex, no lights, no numbers, no nothing. So back to square one with a problem created by the MTA for no reason except that they don't give a schytte.

If Keith Haring were alive perhaps he would graffitti a man walking in the right direction at all stations to benefit all of us straphangers.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
When i'm subway fanning , I just listen for the unique sound. And the Airflow changes.....

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
Little word of wisdom - the entrance signs aren't going to tell you how many levels there are - think of how awkward that would look somewhere like Atlantic Ave or Times Square - the B/Q over here, the 4/5 on the center platform, the 2/3 on either side of that depending on which direction, the N/R/D over on yet another platform......

Also, I find hte signage mostly intelligible, but that may be because I'm so used to it. The Exit/E sign that you were referring to intuitively means to me that if I want to do either of those things, I should head in the direction that the arrow points. I was thinking that but the "exit" was farther on the left and "E" was all the way to the right. I didn't put 2 and 2 together lol

$0.02

Thanks for the info! Good to know I have lived in NYC my whole life but I seldomly take the trains to the city by myself. I don't work in the city so I'm not always sure about how to get around. Learn something new everyday

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Downtown & Brooklyn words are on the side of where the train is entering ,its always placed like that...

That makes no sense to me Nexis. You will ALWAYS be looking at a sign that has a destination...it will ALWAYS read left to right as all printed Engilsh material does.
But the train can either come left to right OR RIGHT TO LEFT.
My goal is to try to figure which.

If the train is going "Downtown and Brooklyn" and the train came from the RIGHT, how could the sign reflect this? What else can it say but Downtown and Brooklyn, whichever direction the train enters the station.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-10-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My goal is to try to figure which.
One set of signals you CAN use as guides are the ones in the middle of the station. They always face the incoming train. (I just forgot to mention this in my earlier posting).

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Thanks nybbler. It's possible there were signs but not now. This is the sign at the entrance and it doesn't note a lower level. When I was on the "c" level, there were no signs indicating a lower level. There were exit signs and "E" train but for anyone who isn't familiar with that station (like me lol), they won't know that the exit sign means to head to the end of the platform and go downstairs. You can't see the staircase because it's set back a little and there's no sign.
This is repeated at many subway stations and I admit it can be confusing. The exit sign along with the "E" means that you should head in that direction for the exit as well as to transfer to the E train. By going in that direction you eventually see the staircase going downstairs (or upstairs depending on the station) that leads to the E train or whatever other train it is that you are transferring to.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One set of signals you CAN use as guides are the ones in the middle of the station. They always face the incoming train. (I just forgot to mention this in my earlier posting).

Okay Fred,

That's my next best hope...I'll try. Are they lights or signs? Can you see their meaning from either end of the station...presuming it is a relatively straight platform?
I'll report tomorrow, becasue today I am going to work my asp off at the gym (oh the HORROR)...so no subways.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-11-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City