Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Also I posted some stuff like Mami Wata or Watramani religious aspect,to negate ''Caribny''claim Guyanese or Afro-Guyanese have no culture,that dude is just self hating.

Can I ask you a question? Are you OK? Where did I say that black Guyanese have no culture. Indeed I wrote about Kwe Kwe and how the songs sung are central to Guyanese rich folk culture. You denied this, bit then were unable to describe what music is played in a kwe kwe. Also masquerade.

it is YOU who are so self hating that you want to grab music created by others and claim it as Guyanese, as if Guyanese can't produce any music of its own. Even going as far as to claim reggaeton.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Listen I don't want to hear raves and rants ,because your mad you are black and are self hater.

The Police Force In Guyana did have some blacks but it also had many British on it, so your references mean nothing. And the ethnic composition of the Defense Force meant nothing in the colonial era because the Commanding officers were all of White British Descent.

Since you lack comprehension skills , I will quote the page of what your source says exactly.

Your meager attempt about the education system means nothing, during the 1800s many East Indians lived adjacent to blacks so they weren't secluded, it doesn't prove that the Teacher force was completely black it just means there were natually going to be black teachers in the predominantly black villages some Indians lived in. Your own article said Indians just choose their kids to work rather than go to school so the answer was that simple, stop race baiting.

Indians also didn't partake in voting during the late 19th century because they were concerned with other matters.

And I never said blacks were confined to ''Sugar Estates'',those were Indian tasks as a matter of factly. Why would I said blacks did not consume the Civil Service jobs until Burnham came into power. I never said he greatly educated them either, but see you want to project that, you want to make it seem like Indians took away all the Civil Service jobs like being Police Officers,Medical Workers,and Teachers,well guess in the PPP government blacks still hold those positions today.

In fact blacks were slowly ousted off of Sugar Estate and other farming jobs because Indians were more preferred to work these fields.Blacks were more of factory workers, fisherman,porkknockers,and servant jobs. Blacks didn't really make a huge industry for farming in Guyana, they just depended toiled their land in the ''Backdam''.
This snippet lets you know prior to Burnham on how Indians and Blacks have rioted against the British Dominated Colonial Government.
Arguing that because English people ran the show negated the existence of a black middle class is as silly as claiming that a Caribbean middle class doesn't exist in NYC because this is a white and Jewish controlled town.

Indians and Africans only occasionally cooperated to battle against the system. Mostly they were used against each other by the colonial administration, who deliberately ensured that different paths to upward mobility resulted in order to keep them separate. This way each remained poor and powerless.

When the Africans/Coloreds began to agitate to change the system of governance, the Indians had other things to do. Indeed the Indian sub elites wanted more indentures to be allowed in, panicking the African/Colored sub elites.

Even as late as the early 60s one could look at some one in Guyana, and know by their race and social class what type of work they did.

British Guiana was a colony with high humidity, mud, mosquitoes and malaria. There were NOT enough Englishmen available to staff the junior and lower mid ranks of the civil service or the police force.

And while the English were in charge the fact is that these jobs enabled blacks to begin to develop a middle class. The children of many of these policemen became teachers, nurses, midwives, dispensers, junior administrators, and other jobs which offered social status, even if not high pay. And indeed one can contrast the outcomes of those who chose that path with those who remained scratching a living on the back dam.

Scream and rant and cry if you want but the occupational distribution of blacks was established in the 19th C when the Village Movement failed as did attempts to establish small businesses. And yes the disinterest in farming came after the Village Movement failed. The most ambitious left farming, and those with education became white collar workers or paraprofessionals. It isn't because of any innate disinterest in farming because they saved mightily in earlier times to by lands for farming. And Jamaicans, Vincentians, St Lucians, Grenadians and Dominicans remain successful peasant farmers.

You seem very intent to prove that blacks accomplished nothing before Forbes Burnham arrived. Why? Because under Cheddi the civil service by then was pretty much run by Africans and Coloreds and a black middle class was so established that they even had their own party, the UDP. Hence the wails by Janet Jagan that the PPP was in office but not in power.

The biggest growth of the black middle class occurred after WWII, NOT under Burnham, and certainly not today under the racially hostile PPP.

I even wonder how you can claim that Guyana was this nest of harmony when every race (except blacks) had their own ETHNICALLY EXCLUSIVE sporting clubs even up to the 60s. Blacks let any one who wanted to join into their club, even as they were excluded by the others. The whites, Portuguese, Chinese, and Indians had their own ethnically based clubs. Blacks were locked out of private sector jobs, and did their best to lock others out of occupations which they dominated.

Indeed these economic insecurities provided the basis for the pre independence ethnic struggle. Not two mere mortals called Burnham and Cheddi. If Guyanese didn't distrust each other nothing that Cheddi or Burnham did could have changed that. The reality is that the two major races DID NOT trust each other and the spark was lit in the early 60s. Eusi Kwayana, who hates Burnham left the PPP because he felt that it had no place for blacks.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:43 AM

302 posts, read 308,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Arguing that because English people ran the show negated the existence of a black middle class is as silly as claiming that a Caribbean middle class doesn't exist in NYC because this is a white and Jewish controlled town.

Indians and Africans only occasionally cooperated to battle against the system. Mostly they were used against each other by the colonial administration, who deliberately ensured that different paths to upward mobility resulted in order to keep them separate. This way each remained poor and powerless.

When the Africans/Coloreds began to agitate to change the system of governance, the Indians had other things to do. Indeed the Indian sub elites wanted more indentures to be allowed in, panicking the African/Colored sub elites.

Even as late as the early 60s one could look at some one in Guyana, and know by their race and social class what type of work they did.

British Guiana was a colony with high humidity, mud, mosquitoes and malaria. There were NOT enough Englishmen available to staff the junior and lower mid ranks of the civil service or the police force.

And while the English were in charge the fact is that these jobs enabled blacks to begin to develop a middle class. The children of many of these policemen became teachers, nurses, midwives, dispensers, junior administrators, and other jobs which offered social status, even if not high pay. And indeed one can contrast the outcomes of those who chose that path with those who remained scratching a living on the back dam.

Scream and rant and cry if you want but the occupational distribution of blacks was established in the 19th C when the Village Movement failed as did attempts to establish small businesses. And yes the disinterest in farming came after the Village Movement failed. The most ambitious left farming, and those with education became white collar workers or paraprofessionals. It isn't because of any innate disinterest in farming because they saved mightily in earlier times to by lands for farming. And Jamaicans, Vincentians, St Lucians, Grenadians and Dominicans remain successful peasant farmers.

You seem very intent to prove that blacks accomplished nothing before Forbes Burnham arrived. Why? Because under Cheddi the civil service by then was pretty much run by Africans and Coloreds and a black middle class was so established that they even had their own party, the UDP. Hence the wails by Janet Jagan that the PPP was in office but not in power.

The biggest growth of the black middle class occurred after WWII, NOT under Burnham, and certainly not today under the racially hostile PPP.

I even wonder how you can claim that Guyana was this nest of harmony when every race (except blacks) had their own ETHNICALLY EXCLUSIVE sporting clubs even up to the 60s. Blacks let any one who wanted to join into their club, even as they were excluded by the others. The whites, Portuguese, Chinese, and Indians had their own ethnically based clubs. Blacks were locked out of private sector jobs, and did their best to lock others out of occupations which they dominated.

Indeed these economic insecurities provided the basis for the pre independence ethnic struggle. Not two mere mortals called Burnham and Cheddi. If Guyanese didn't distrust each other nothing that Cheddi or Burnham did could have changed that. The reality is that the two major races DID NOT trust each other and the spark was lit in the early 60s. Eusi Kwayana, who hates Burnham left the PPP because he felt that it had no place for blacks.
I like how you said blacks were locked out of private sector jobs but then claim there was a black Middle Class.

There were some will off blacks in Guyana, that doesn't mean blacks weren't the most marginalized.As was said before the whole reason Portuguese,Maiderians,Cape Verdeans,Chinese, British, and East Indians was to stagnate the social mobility of Blacks in Guyana.

During times of unrest and strife blacks and Indians never cooperate with each other to riot,being you know that the nature of riots is just massive backlash that is ignited for many reasons. There were times were Portuguese,Chinese ,and Whites were targeted.Sometimes it was five groups targeting another, maybe because of employment or it was a reaction to ill treatment on their fellow kinsmen.

Your painting the picture of Guyana during the Colonial Era always had Black and Indian Bouts in Politics and the referee there were English. I will repeat the British selected the Portuguese and Chinese to fill in those civil service positions before blacks.And actually up to the mid 30s Indians were a last resort before blacks in politics.But Guyana had all it's ethnic groups participate in politics. This is why Guyana's first president was Authur Chung and the UF had people from many backgrounds but mostly Chinese and Portuguese.Black Guyanese didn't ascend into these government positions until 50s and 60s. When it was diverse.

Indeed Guyana did have strenuous land to cultivate on, that didn't mean there wasn't a significant number of Europeans who came. Guyana was called the "Breadbasket" to CARICOM countries. Plus it has rich mineral resources so of course British came there to do business. Not all of the country's land is hostile.

Listen there is no such thing as the Village movement it's called the "Free Village Movement",and it was a success because it carved out homes and areas for blacks.If it wasn't for the Free Village Movement, you wouldn't of had the villages like Ann's Groove,Buxton,Victoria, Cove & John, etc. which gave blacks in Guyana their land to cultivate and live on.Before that blacks in Guyana,were paying living quarters fees to live on plantations and wandered as squatters. If blacks didn't go through with the Free Village movement,there would be no home. And blacks didn't make a career off of the back dam,some did but not most.

I never said blacks didn't accomplish anything in Guyana but you make it seem blacks were in government jobs and were mostly middle class in Guyana before Independence,most weren't.

Blacks took up factory jobs,fisherman,porkknockers, and very few civil service jobs to work.

Coloreds(mulatto and mixed blacks) in Guyana outcasted themselves from the black population,stop making things black and white playing the race card.

Political parties in Guyana weren't race based before Burnham conceived his PNC. Burnham wanted to be elected president of the PPP party and left when he couldn't,it had nothing to do with blacks and Indians distrusting each other. As I said Burnham played the same power trip with John Carter (who was black)of the UDP.The WPA had many black members killed but Burnham chose to hunt them down, so don't make it a black and Indian thing,

I never said it was racial harmony in Guyana,but before Burnham came into power it wasn't as tumultuous and insidious as he allowed the political landscape to be.

You definitely strike me as some one who is a former PNC member, you take up for them because you took part in their actions and feel guilty for what they did.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Can I ask you a question? Are you OK? Where did I say that black Guyanese have no culture. Indeed I wrote about Kwe Kwe and how the songs sung are central to Guyanese rich folk culture. You denied this, bit then were unable to describe what music is played in a kwe kwe. Also masquerade.

it is YOU who are so self hating that you want to grab music created by others and claim it as Guyanese, as if Guyanese can't produce any music of its own. Even going as far as to claim reggaeton.

This is what you said, Guyanaese like everything other than their own and are constantly hinting to Guyanese having no culture,which is an untruth.

Quote:

Of course Guyanese would be more serious about dance hall than Trinis and Bajans. Trinis and Bajans like their own music. Guyanese like every body else's. Will you now claim dance hall to be Guyanese? Why not samba while you are at it?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I like how you said blacks were locked out of private sector jobs but then claim there was a black Middle Class.

There were some will off blacks in Guyana, that doesn't mean blacks weren't the most marginalized.As was said before the whole reason Portuguese,Maiderians,Cape Verdeans,Chinese, British, and East Indians was to stagnate the social mobility of Blacks in Guyana.

During times of unrest and strife blacks and Indians never cooperate with each other to riot,being you know that the nature of riots is just massive backlash that is ignited for many reasons. There were times were Portuguese,Chinese ,and Whites were targeted.Sometimes it was five groups targeting another, maybe because of employment or it was a reaction to ill treatment on their fellow kinsmen.

Your painting the picture of Guyana during the Colonial Era always had Black and Indian Bouts in Politics and the referee there were English. I will repeat the British selected the Portuguese and Chinese to fill in those civil service positions before blacks.And actually up to the mid 30s Indians were a last resort before blacks in politics.But Guyana had all it's ethnic groups participate in politics. This is why Guyana's first president was Authur Chung and the UF had people from many backgrounds but mostly Chinese and Portuguese.Black Guyanese didn't ascend into these government positions until 50s and 60s. When it was diverse.

Indeed Guyana did have strenuous land to cultivate on, that didn't mean there wasn't a significant number of Europeans who came. Guyana was called the "Breadbasket" to CARICOM countries. Plus it has rich mineral resources so of course British came there to do business. Not all of the country's land is hostile.

Listen there is no such thing as the Village movement it's called the "Free Village Movement",and it was a success because it carved out homes and areas for blacks.If it wasn't for the Free Village Movement, you wouldn't of had the villages like Ann's Groove,Buxton,Victoria, Cove & John, etc. which gave blacks in Guyana their land to cultivate and live on.Before that blacks in Guyana,were paying living quarters fees to live on plantations and wandered as squatters. If blacks didn't go through with the Free Village movement,there would be no home. And blacks didn't make a career off of the back dam,some did but not most.

I never said blacks didn't accomplish anything in Guyana but you make it seem blacks were in government jobs and were mostly middle class in Guyana before Independence,most weren't.

Blacks took up factory jobs,fisherman,porkknockers, and very few civil service jobs to work.

Coloreds(mulatto and mixed blacks) in Guyana outcasted themselves from the black population,stop making things black and white playing the race card.

Political parties in Guyana weren't race based before Burnham conceived his PNC. Burnham wanted to be elected president of the PPP party and left when he couldn't,it had nothing to do with blacks and Indians distrusting each other. As I said Burnham played the same power trip with John Carter (who was black)of the UDP.The WPA had many black members killed but Burnham chose to hunt them down, so don't make it a black and Indian thing,

I never said it was racial harmony in Guyana,but before Burnham came into power it wasn't as tumultuous and insidious as he allowed the political landscape to be.

You definitely strike me as some one who is a former PNC member, you take up for them because you took part in their actions and feel guilty for what they did.
Arthur Chung was selected by BURNHAM to be a symbolic president precisely because he came from a powerless group. By 1970 most Chinese had migrated.

If Indians and blacks lived in love and harmony why do you blame Burnham for race based voting? What would Burnham's departure from the PPP have had to do with anything.

Race began to dominate politics in Guyana because BOTH races distrusted each other and used politics as the avenue to attempt to dominate each other. Burnham AND Cheddi exploited that. They did NOT create it.

Since blacks have lived under the PPP TWICE and suffered marginalization TWICE and Indians experienced the SAME under the PNC, now BOTH races have a narrative about why they fear being ruled by the other.

So we get to NYC and go OUR SEPARATE WAYS GLAD TO BE RID OF EACH OTHER!

when Burnham left the PPP he took with him several Indians. I suggest that you look and see who the people who were elected to office in the Burnham faction of the PPP.

140. THE AFTERMATH OF THE SPLIT Some Indians names in there.

Let me tell you who did what in colonial Guyana.

1. British...top administrative in the colonial govt and top managerial positions in the sugar industry and the large private corporations. The white Guyanese held positions slightly lower than the expats, and were also the top professionals.

2. Portuguese. dominated the mid and smaller business sector. Dominated trading in gold and diamonds. Dominated the sales and customer services jobs in the PRIVATE sector, as well as the banks. Didn't value education.

3. Chinese...similar to Portuguese except that their businesses were smaller. They also specialized in food related businesses and in laundries. Unlike the Portuguese they highly valued education and so many became professionals with their own practices.

4. Blacks and coloreds...coloreds were mid level administrators just below the whites and also the higher tier professions. Coloreds also had access to sales positions in the private sector.

The blacks dominated the lower administrative and clerical positions, teaching, nursing and other lower level health care, the skilled trades, urban laboring jobs, mining and forestry jobs. They also dominated the factory jobs in the sugar industry as well as the clerical positions on the estates and the security positions, including lower and mid level police ranks. Some remained as semi subsistence farmers, boat builders and fishermen.

5. Indians dominated agricultural sector, both as laborers and as peasant farmers, including fishing and cattle rearing (despite being mainly Hindu). Some eventually dominated the rural small business sector and rice milling, and also rented out lands to the peasant farmers.

BOTN Indian and African women were also household workers.

6. Amerindians were hunter gatherers and worked as cattle ranch hands in the Rupununi.

Alone among the ethnic groups in Guyana the Africans and the coloreds valued social status and prestige more than they did money. So they entered into the civil service at the junior and lower mid ranks as well as in the lower professional occupations like teaching, nursing, and pharmacy. Portuguese and Chinese were NOT going to do that as the prospects of wealth was ZILCH.

INDEED I ONLY NEED LOOK AT MY FAMILY TO KNOW THAT YOU LIE! They were teachers and civil servants located through the East Coast and G/town SINCE THE 1880s! And there were MANY people like them! The FIRST college graduate in the family was an uncle of my father he graduated from Codrington College in the 1910s.

On the basis of that generation my father and MOST of his cousins entered Queen's College and Bishops in the 1930s and 1940s. As did many other blacks, among them was Forbes Burnham. These were the products of that black middle class which began to emerge in the late 19th century. Based on the success of that generation their kids were positioned to enter the UPPER ranks of the civil service, or become upper tier professionals in the post WWII era when opportunities for blacks improved.

YOUR BABBLE THAT FEW BLACKS WERE IN THE MIDDLE CLASS BEFORE THE BURNHAM ERA IS NONSENSE, and INSULTING!!!!!!!!!!

And indeed your need to denigrate blacks, maybe because you see yourself as different, given your part Indian ancestry, is indeed why Africans and Indians do not trust each other. We peddle on lies and stereotypes of each other, and refuse to recognize the roles which people from BOTH groups played, even during the COLONIAL era.

Despite the myth that you peddle black people were not passive even during the harsh days of the 19th C. They struggled and at least some of them achieved success and set the stage for their kids to do even BETTER. There were many heroes and heroines who have not been given the recognition and respect that they deserve!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
This is what you said, Guyanaese like everything other than their own and are constantly hinting to Guyanese having no culture,which is an untruth.

I give Guyanese credit where credit is due in our FOLK culture. We have rich folkloric traditions which we have yet to develop into a rich tradition of popular music as have other Caribbean peoples.

You want to steal other people's culture and pretend that it is Guyanese. I live in The Bronx and the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are dying of laughter at your assertion that Guyanese should lay claim to reggaeton.

And all over Brooklyn, Queens NJ and LI Trinis are rolling all over howling in laughter that some foolish Guyanese is claiming that soca is Guyanese!

Last edited by caribny; 09-19-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I

yes you did. You said that Indians and Africans were busy "douglarizing" Guyana until Forbes Burnham came and that he is the ONLY factor responsible for our ethnic issues.

At a forum held in Queens after the unrest which occurred after the 1997 elections and Afro Guyanese female cheekily said that maybe the best thing would be to turn Guyana into a nation of douglas..

The room, predominantly Indians, howled and jeered at her and one of the panelists accused her of desiring Indians to be annihilated. Indeed National Service was often described by many Indians as a plan by Burnham to expose their Indian daughters to black men in a plot to douglarize Guyana.

Live in your fantasy world. The one I know is where one Indian man cursed out another by predicting that his daughter was going to marry a black man, this being seen as a most vile curse.

Africans and Coloreds despised each other, but banded together out of fear of Indian domination under PPP rule from 1956-1964. After all the two groups were culturally alike and often closely related.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Arthur Chung was selected by BURNHAM to be a symbolic president precisely because he came from a powerless group. By 1970 most Chinese had migrated.

If Indians and blacks lived in love and harmony why do you blame Burnham for race based voting? What would Burnham's departure from the PPP have had to do with anything.

Race began to dominate politics in Guyana because BOTH races distrusted each other and used politics as the avenue to attempt to dominate each other. Burnham AND Cheddi exploited that. They did NOT create it.

Since blacks have lived under the PPP TWICE and suffered marginalization TWICE and Indians experienced the SAME under the PNC, now BOTH races have a narrative about why they fear being ruled by the other.

So we get to NYC and go OUR SEPARATE WAYS GLAD TO BE RID OF EACH OTHER!

when Burnham left the PPP he took with him several Indians. I suggest that you look and see who the people who were elected to office in the Burnham faction of the PPP.

140. THE AFTERMATH OF THE SPLIT Some Indians names in there.

Let me tell you who did what in colonial Guyana.

1. British...top administrative in the colonial govt and top managerial positions in the sugar industry and the large private corporations. The white Guyanese held positions slightly lower than the expats, and were also the top professionals.

2. Portuguese. dominated the mid and smaller business sector. Dominated trading in gold and diamonds. Dominated the sales and customer services jobs in the PRIVATE sector, as well as the banks. Didn't value education.

3. Chinese...similar to Portuguese except that their businesses were smaller. They also specialized in food related businesses and in laundries. Unlike the Portuguese they highly valued education and so many became professionals with their own practices.

4. Blacks and coloreds...coloreds were mid level administrators just below the whites and also the higher tier professions. Coloreds also had access to sales positions in the private sector.

The blacks dominated the lower administrative and clerical positions, teaching, nursing and other lower level health care, the skilled trades, urban laboring jobs, mining and forestry jobs. They also dominated the factory jobs in the sugar industry as well as the clerical positions on the estates and the security positions, including lower and mid level police ranks. Some remained as semi subsistence farmers, boat builders and fishermen.

5. Indians dominated agricultural sector, both as laborers and as peasant farmers, including fishing and cattle rearing (despite being mainly Hindu). Some eventually dominated the rural small business sector and rice milling, and also rented out lands to the peasant farmers.

BOTN Indian and African women were also household workers.

6. Amerindians were hunter gatherers and worked as cattle ranch hands in the Rupununi.

Alone among the ethnic groups in Guyana the Africans and the coloreds valued social status and prestige more than they did money. So they entered into the civil service at the junior and lower mid ranks as well as in the lower professional occupations like teaching, nursing, and pharmacy. Portuguese and Chinese were NOT going to do that as the prospects of wealth was ZILCH.

INDEED I ONLY NEED LOOK AT MY FAMILY TO KNOW THAT YOU LIE! They were teachers and civil servants located through the East Coast and G/town SINCE THE 1880s! And there were MANY people like them! The FIRST college graduate in the family was an uncle of my father he graduated from Codrington College in the 1910s.

On the basis of that generation my father and MOST of his cousins entered Queen's College and Bishops in the 1930s and 1940s. As did many other blacks, among them was Forbes Burnham. These were the products of that black middle class which began to emerge in the late 19th century. Based on the success of that generation their kids were positioned to enter the UPPER ranks of the civil service, or become upper tier professionals in the post WWII era when opportunities for blacks improved.

YOUR BABBLE THAT FEW BLACKS WERE IN THE MIDDLE CLASS BEFORE THE BURNHAM ERA IS NONSENSE, and INSULTING!!!!!!!!!!

And indeed your need to denigrate blacks, maybe because you see yourself as different, given your part Indian ancestry, is indeed why Africans and Indians do not trust each other. We peddle on lies and stereotypes of each other, and refuse to recognize the roles which people from BOTH groups played, even during the COLONIAL era.

Despite the myth that you peddle black people were not passive even during the harsh days of the 19th C. They struggled and at least some of them achieved success and set the stage for their kids to do even BETTER. There were many heroes and heroines who have not been given the recognition and respect that they deserve!
Many blacks received their education overseas in England. And receiving did not mean affluence, I said many blacks did not entrench the administrative positions until the late 60s and early 70s. During the 50s blacks may of had some civil jobs but they didn't have any rank. By the 1950s and 1960s blacks the Guyanese Volunteer Force was 80% black but 20% other, and all non-blacks held the rank.

Arthur Chung was selected president by the National Assembly.Even if your story is true having a token chinese means nothing, plus Burnham became power hungry and eventurally opted Chung out

Quote:
http://www.stabroeknews.com/2008/arc...ur-chung-dies/

Ramotar said Chung made his mark on Guyana and had the great distinction of being the country’s first Guyanese Head of State, which was basically a ceremonial position since the real power was in the hands of the Head of Government, who at the time was Forbes Burnham.

You want to TELL THE STORY THE WAY YOU WANT, BECAUSE YOU WISH FOR POLITICS IN GUYANA TO FIT YOUR ILLUSION, BUT ITS NOT REALITY.

When Burnham reached is pinnacle of power (through election rigging) in 1970 a lot of things changed, Banks Beer resided its business in Guyana ,Bookers started to shut down, many portuguese started fleeing, and so did many Chinese start to flee.

Your back tracking like an a fool, if Guyana was always race based politics why did Burnham,Kwayana ,and others join the PPP in the first place? Burnham made Guyana a race base politics because he had no other means of gaining masses.

Since the Colonial government of 1960- 1964 was under the rule of British Rule , PPP was not in power twice. Jagan was elected British Chief Minister of Guyana in 53 but had to resign because of Burnham and his cronies alerted US and CIA officials. And 61 Burnham sought for the British council to suspend the constitution (which slowed down Guyana;s independence) because Jagan was again elected Chief Minister but had to Jagan resign. But Jagan was elected president in both elections.

[b]Burnham and Jagan both founded the PPP , so what are you talking about it was always race based politics?

Regardless of any of the jobs blacks had before Burnham,when Burnham seized power FAVORITISM and patronage was enacted,before Burnham blacks were 5th tier only above Amerindians in social status because like you said many Amerindians lived secluded back then.

Under the British Blacks in Guyana were 5th Tier Citizens, its fact the British favored Indians after Whites ,Chinese,and Portuguese above blacks.Its only that Indians chose to work sugar fields.
There was indeed a rising of blacks into civil service and government jobs in the 60s if Burnham wouldn't of made everything about race it wouldn't of been that bad.

Stop mentioning my family's heritage in this , it shows how short sighted you are and is irrelevant to the convo.

You don't understand that things are not black and white, and you being a butt hurt PNC member can't get over that blacks in Guyana distrust PNC members and Cops this is why Fyneman crew were out targeting cops and sadly random Indians as well. Just because I down talk the PNC doesn't mean I deginerate blacks, you dum dum, the PNC is not for blacks although thats what you want to believe. The PNC murdered Father Durke and has killed hundreds of blacks in Guyana. PNC sanctioned the terrorist group the House of Israel to operate with immunity in Guyana, where is the PPP's sanctioned terrorist group.

The fact is black Guyanese and Indo-Guyanese do occupy some of the same neighborhoods in NYC Ozone Park, Jamaica ,Queens Village, Hollis,etc so no need to say more. And some Guyanese Indians and Guyanese Blacks do indeed date each other, this is the case with family. Indo-Guyanese women would date blacks of any variety period, stop with the loligagging.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-20-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I give Guyanese credit where credit is due in our FOLK culture. We have rich folkloric traditions which we have yet to develop into a rich tradition of popular music as have other Caribbean peoples.

You want to steal other people's culture and pretend that it is Guyanese. I live in The Bronx and the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are dying of laughter at your assertion that Guyanese should lay claim to reggaeton.

And all over Brooklyn, Queens NJ and LI Trinis are rolling all over howling in laughter that some foolish Guyanese is claiming that soca is Guyanese!
You're the true self-hater, no self respecting Guyanese gives credit to a Trini before themselves and you want to down play our culture.

What I told you is that a Guyanese person helped start Ring Bang Soca in Barbados and helped Jumpstart reggaetone, quote me where I said Reggaetone and Ring Bang Soca are Guyanese?

You are just a clown.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
yes you did. You said that Indians and Africans were busy "douglarizing" Guyana until Forbes Burnham came and that he is the ONLY factor responsible for our ethnic issues.

At a forum held in Queens after the unrest which occurred after the 1997 elections and Afro Guyanese female cheekily said that maybe the best thing would be to turn Guyana into a nation of douglas..

The room, predominantly Indians, howled and jeered at her and one of the panelists accused her of desiring Indians to be annihilated. Indeed National Service was often described by many Indians as a plan by Burnham to expose their Indian daughters to black men in a plot to douglarize Guyana.

Live in your fantasy world. The one I know is where one Indian man cursed out another by predicting that his daughter was going to marry a black man, this being seen as a most vile curse.

Africans and Coloreds despised each other, but banded together out of fear of Indian domination under PPP rule from 1956-1964. After all the two groups were culturally alike and often closely related.
No I didn't ''say there was a big douglarization'' you clown.But you make it a mission to seperate Indo Guyanese and Afro-Guyanese.

There were Douglas before Burnham weren't they, this is why you had people like Dougla Steve and Shirley Field Rigley.

I said before Burnham many blacks and Indians did intermarry, but the riots and disturbances slowed it down but didn't stop it.

Guyana was 16.2% mixed race according to the records in 2002 ,country reports estimates had it 33% mixed race, the numbers are higher as we speak.

Listen you are a old nag, when you say stupid crap like the Indians in NYC relate to Spanish people more because of their straight hair you just exhibit how much of an IQ you have and how much of a LOW SELF ESTEEM COON you are.

And for the last time Coloreds were mulatto in Guyana not black , that's why they labeled themselves ''colored'' to distinguish themselves from black, but nobody uses that term anymore.

How about you tell people 2002 about the jail breaks of black vigilantes, killing black cops ,were targeting other PNC members, and wealthy East Indians .

The reality is Blacks In Guyana are divided and that is due to Burnham ,Corbin and many PNC constituents.FACT.And its divided due to people like you because PNC and people like you alike will do anything for power.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-20-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City