Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

"The guy surely could have easily saved everybody a lot of time and resources had he just shook things off and said to himself, 'meh I can very easily handle my psychological issues like everybody can, seeing as how the inner workings of every brain are constructed exactly identically...' "

- general consensus of harvard trained psychologists on City-Data

Last edited by availableusername; 01-30-2012 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
It seems to have become fashionable to be nasty to people and I'm not just speaking of the building mangement but some of the posted replies - If you have no empathy for a man that put his dog to sleep and then committed suicide then you are just a soulless piece of garbage disguised as a member of the human race - You may wish to read up on a lack of empathy in some psychology text books and see where that places you among your peers - I'm sure it will be a real eye opener -
I would never pick up a psych book since I view it as little more than glorified quackery.

I have no empathy for him because there are billions of people around the globe that face worst fates than feeling guilty about killing a dog. They push on and don't kill themselves.

He was weak.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I personally would never have given in to those snotty d-bags in the building. I would have sooner moved even. Anyway sorry for the mobile version link. My phone won't open it up in a regular browser. Also, sorry for the Post link. I generally hate the Post.

Soap actor commits suicide after pup's 'forced' euthanasia - m.NYPOST.com
The brother was clearly manically depressed prior to the dog. It seems the dog was the only thing holding him together. I have an aunt like the people in his building who have an irrational fear/hatred for animals and come up with all these hypotheticals about what a dog would do and have no understanding about them. I personally would've made some suggestions to the neighbors like "eat a d***" or to give serious thought into "f***ing themselves." My man didn't have to kill himself though he should have sought therapy if he was so grief stricken.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would never pick up a psych book since I view it as little more than glorified quackery.

I have no empathy for him because there are billions of people around the globe that face worst fates than feeling guilty about killing a dog. They push on and don't kill themselves.

He was weak.
Then why comment and spew your negativity if you don't give a crap about this guy?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
I think it's very sad that no one was able to see the signs and get him the help he desperately needed. I don't think euthanizing the dog is the sole reason he killed himself. He was a very depressed man with serious issues. The problem here is that he wasn't forced to euthanize the dog. He broke down and did it because of the harassment. He just couldn't mentally cope with it. The article says that the vet said the dog was becoming aggressive but unless the dog actually did harm someone, there was no reason at that time to euthanize. Yes, he could have moved or maybe even put the dog up for adoption but I think we're talking about someone who was just not mentally there anymore and ridden with depression.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I think it's very sad that no one was able to see the signs and get him the help he desperately needed. I don't think euthanizing the dog is the sole reason he killed himself. He was a very depressed man with serious issues. The problem here is that he wasn't forced to euthanize the dog. He broke down and did it because of the harassment. He just couldn't mentally cope with it. The article says that the vet said the dog was becoming aggressive but unless the dog actually did harm someone, there was no reason at that time to euthanize. Yes, he could have moved or maybe even put the dog up for adoption but I think we're talking about someone who was just not mentally there anymore and ridden with depression.
Agreed! it was the final blow in a despondent man's life. Yet there are folks here who are almighty and have never been consumed by darkness. Lucky them. But they can bash this guy all day. Guess the dead cannot even get some respect with some folks. Well, may the knights of darkness never knock on their door, Cause it will be hurt city when it does.

Someone please send this thread to the darkness. Seen 4 or 5 already on this man with the same things. And now..my famous line-"Im off to the showers now."

Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Agreed! it was the final blow in a despondent man's life. Yet there are folks here who are almighty and have never been consumed by darkness. Lucky them. But they can bash this guy all day. Guess the dead cannot even get some respect with some folks. Well, may the knights of darkness never knock on their door, Cause it will be hurt city when it does.

Someone please send this thread to the darkness. Seen 4 or 5 already on this man with the same things. And now..my famous line-"Im off to the showers now."
Yeah, I don't get the lack of sympathy sometimes. Some people will deem the mentally ill as weak when in fact, the disease is so strong that it takes over someone's life. We all suffer from depression in our own ways. Unfortunately we are not all made up the same way and our bodies or minds can't process things the same. As a pet owner, I can't fathom the thought of having to euthanize my pet when if G-d forbid they fall ill, never mind euthanizing a healthy dog. Which just brought to mind...who was the vet that euthanized? Why would they euthanize a healthy dog? Was it because the dog was part pit? That poor breed gets a horrible rap but I have seen many pits that are just loveable and playful.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yeah, I don't get the lack of sympathy sometimes. Some people will deem the mentally ill as weak when in fact, the disease is so strong that it takes over someone's life. We all suffer from depression in our own ways. Unfortunately we are not all made up the same way and our bodies or minds can't process things the same. As a pet owner, I can't fathom the thought of having to euthanize my pet when if G-d forbid they fall ill, never mind euthanizing a healthy dog. Which just brought to mind...who was the vet that euthanized? Why would they euthanize a healthy dog? Was it because the dog was part pit? That poor breed gets a horrible rap but I have seen many pits that are just loveable and playful.

They are. They became the dog of choice for the thugs and other rifr-aff to train to be aggressive due to their natural jaw and body strength. They do awful things like keep the dog in a dark room and feed them raw meat, to bring out the aggression. What dog would not become dangerous under these conditions?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I had a bit of trouble reconciling two stated facts:
the first paragraph called him a "down on his luck soap opera actor" and then later gave his condo address as "1 LINCOLN PLAZA" an extremely desirable and expensive address overlooking Lincoln Center.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
[/b]

They are. They became the dog of choice for the thugs and other rifr-aff to train to be aggressive due to their natural jaw and body strength. They do awful things like keep the dog in a dark room and feed them raw meat, to bring out the aggression. What dog would not become dangerous under these conditions?
My neighbor has 2 and she rescued both from a kill shelter (not at the same time). One is only 5 yrs old. Yes, she looks a little intimidating at first but let me tell you, she's a big mush and she is absolutely gorgeous. She got along with the other dog and the 2 cats. My daughter goes there all the time and not once have we felt unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City