Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 23,138 times

Advertisements

I live in Inwood west of broadway for a few years now and I'll be honest with you it's a pretty cool area. The east side of broadway is sketchy, I wouldn't live there. Look into places west of broadway. I too am from a rough part in Brooklyn and even spent some time living in the South Bronx and believe me out of all those places I prefer this little pocket of an area. Look into places on Seaman Ave, Payson, Riverside Drive, Park Terrace....get as far as west as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
not UES

i recommend the west

Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 PM

241 posts, read 591,751 times
why not UES? That's hardly an area to avoid. Now, are there personal preferences for one neighborhood for one over another perhaps. But by his criteria of safety, there is nothing wrong with UES.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 23,138 times
It all depends on what your looking for and what kind of money your looking to spend on a place. I prefer the west side of manhattan because its seems cleaner an more accessible to the places I need to go. If you do more things on the east side, then the east side might be best for you.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM

88 posts, read 61,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
If you're really from New York you know that you can catch it ANYWHERE.
Uptown, Midtown, Downtown, Cross town, tottenville...

Dont live in Midtown, because numerically speaking, you are the most likely to become a victim of violent crime there. Not Harlem/Central/East/West, Not Washington Heights, not Avenue D but MIDTOWN
I don't think that's exactly right. The numbers are skewed because they are based on the average amount of crime per resident. But those areas are full of tourists. So when a tourist has their bag stolen or whatever, it will count as one crime. But that tourist isn't added to their population. Hence why tourist areas always top the list of the "most dangerous areas". It's almost always false.

If there's anywhere I wanted to be in NYC at 3am on a Tuesday without the slightest bit of concern, it'd probably take Midtown. Especially Times Square (which coincidentally, is ranked as the most dangerous neighborhood in all of New York City).

Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
If you're a past NYC resident, you are familiar with the city. Which areas are you considering, and what is your budget?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 PM

252 posts, read 348,327 times
chelsea, tribeca, soho, all terrible areas. very dangerous............LOL! go live in chinatown. wonderful place.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:24 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles XII View Post
I don't think that's exactly right. The numbers are skewed because they are based on the average amount of crime per resident. But those areas are full of tourists. So when a tourist has their bag stolen or whatever, it will count as one crime. But that tourist isn't added to their population. Hence why tourist areas always top the list of the "most dangerous areas". It's almost always false.

If there's anywhere I wanted to be in NYC at 3am on a Tuesday without the slightest bit of concern, it'd probably take Midtown. Especially Times Square (which coincidentally, is ranked as the most dangerous neighborhood in all of New York City).
Everyone knows damn well that Midtown isn't as dangeeohs as East New York!

You're right, the numbers are skewes because it's an extremely transient area.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Uhh, this thread is from 2012. A LOT has changed over even the past five years.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Everyone knows damn well that Midtown isn't as dangeeohs as East New York!

You're right, the numbers are skewes because it's an extremely transient area.
Ignore those typos! I was half asleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City