Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:08 PM

402 posts, read 811,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
what do you mean by savages?
what do you think he means? The comment explains itself... People whom act like savages moved in obviously hence "savagery". I don't see where he used the term savages himself? Does everything need to be spelled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testuser25 View Post
Italian Harlem NEVER ceased to exist.
It is Alive and Well today in 2009.
Go there and see for yourself.

Main Street of Italian Harlem is Pleasant Avenue between 114th and 120th Streets.
Raos , Patsys Pizza , Claudio's Barber Shop (with original owner and Barber) are all in Italian Harlem
Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Church (which have some mass in Italian Language) is very active. Feast takes place every summer (usually in July) , which is when the Giglio is carried throughout the neighborhood.
On some side streets you can find some Italian Social clubs as well.
As I understand it many Italians are moving back to Italian Harlem today.
Say "Pleasant Avenue" to any one in "Spanish Harlem" and they will tell you all about Italian Harlem, now.
I do think it will soon be known (again) as Manhattans other Little Italy.
those who are in the know, and in influential positions, make it known to the city officials, who may not know or are not taking notice.
It's definately got a strong character to it, and is admired around the globe.
It would be good if the city would list it officially (as Mulberry Street and neighborhood downtown is).
also come check out our website solomusicanapoletana.com and leave your e mail if you would like.
I remember all those places. Grew up at 455 East 116th st. Used to buy 5 hot dogs for a dollar on 118th. Go to Scottys store. Pizza at Patsys and Coppolas, Chinese restaurant on 1st ave, butcher and laundrymat and delightful coffee shop on 116th and pleasant. Just walk in Raos and eat anytime-no wait.
It was the best

Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduranmar View Post
Just walk in Raos and eat anytime-no wait.
It was the best
Wow... those were the days indeed. Now it's the most exclusive table in NYC. A few years ago it took reservations for 1 hour every 3 months, now I think it's simply all "regulars" all the time.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
Talking Feast

Come to Pleasant Avenue for the Giglio of Sant' Antonio Italian feast!
This year it runs from August 7-August 10. They carry the Giglio through the streets on Sunday Aug 10 starting at 1:30pm. The feast is on Pleasant avenue from 116 street to 114 street.
They even have raffle tickets for Rao's for sale for 10 bucks. Winner get a free meal for 4. Now thats a deal.
Check out the website for the feast and the old neighborhood
eastharlemgiglio.com

Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i'll tell you what, though....no matter who moved in, italians kept that block around the original patsy's (is it 115 and 1st?) cleaned up. even in the 80's it was an oasis in a desert of savagery.

who are you calling savages?

Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 AM

58 posts, read 179,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testuser25 View Post
Italian Harlem NEVER ceased to exist.
It is Alive and Well today in 2009.
Go there and see for yourself.

Main Street of Italian Harlem is Pleasant Avenue between 114th and 120th Streets.
Raos , Patsys Pizza , Claudio's Barber Shop (with original owner and Barber) are all in Italian Harlem
Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Church (which have some mass in Italian Language) is very active. Feast takes place every summer (usually in July) , which is when the Giglio is carried throughout the neighborhood.
On some side streets you can find some Italian Social clubs as well.
As I understand it many Italians are moving back to Italian Harlem today.
Say "Pleasant Avenue" to any one in "Spanish Harlem" and they will tell you all about Italian Harlem, now.
I do think it will soon be known (again) as Manhattans other Little Italy.
those who are in the know, and in influential positions, make it known to the city officials, who may not know or are not taking notice.
It's definately got a strong character to it, and is admired around the globe.
It would be good if the city would list it officially (as Mulberry Street and neighborhood downtown is).
also come check out our website solomusicanapoletana.com and leave your e mail if you would like.
And exactly where you can still find some Italian Social clubs?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i'll tell you what, though....no matter who moved in, italians kept that block around the original patsy's (is it 115 and 1st?) cleaned up. even in the 80's it was an oasis in a desert of savagery.

More like 118th and First.
Some nice home restorations going on in the immediate area.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
For those who have never seen the film West Side Story was shot in many locations around Manhattan. One of them was a playground in "Italian Harlem" seen in the opening..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ClSABkDp8

West Side Story - Prologue - (PopSpots)

Old 03-24-2016, 09:09 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Some here have mentioned that, either before the Italian population came to settle in Harlem (or at least being co-existent with the Italian population there) was a Jewish population. What I can contribute to this detail, being of Jewish background, is that my mother (now deceased, as is most of my family tree) had told me, when I was young, about one of her aunts having a 0shoe store in East Harlem in the earlier half of the 20th century (up to what point in time in the 1900s was this Jewish population existent there? I'm not sure). The aunt was of the East European Jewish stock (what is called Ashkenazic Jews) and the aunt also spoke fluent Spanish, as she learned Spanish being around all the Spanish-speaking people, having them as employees and as customers and fellow residents of the neighborhood. So it appears that, at least back in the 1920s and 1930s (if not even somewhat later? not sure), Harlem-at-large or at least East Harlem was characterized as having a notable Jewish element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City