Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 29,104 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we're considering a place in Rosedale, Queens. We are a mixed (white husband, haitian wife) couple with 4 kids, one in High School. Valley Stream was our first choice, but too expensive....you get WAY more for your money right next door in Rosedale.

However, I've heard the HS there (Springfield Gardens High) sucks! Is this true? If so, how can I get our HS aged child to a different school? Especially being that we're in Atlanta until this summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Springfield Gardens closed down years ago.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
The Dept of Education puts out a book listing all the High Schools including specialized high schools in NYC. If your High Schooler doesn't mind traveling, there are many good High Schools in NYC.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Best High Schools in Queens:
http://queens.about.com/cs/highschools/f/best_hs.htm

Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post

OP, this is a great handbook but keep in mind that not all schools accept all students. Some of these are based on performance and grades and can be very selective when they accept students.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Q: What can I do if I am new to New York City or new to public schools?
A: For more information about new student registration and the documents required for registration, please visit our new students web page: http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/NewStudents

High School Admission FAQs

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
The best bet for you now is to find your daughter/son a copy of a NYC Specialized High School Test book, which are for sale anywhere in the city and certainly online. Have the kid sudy it as if his life educational life depended on it, becuase it just might. After moving into the city he/she will be eligible to take the test in the summer for placement into one of the specialized schools, and if things go OK your problem will be solved. But be forewarned. It is a VERY tough test for most kids. The Queens High School for Sciences at York College is nearby, but kids will travel much further than that for a specialized HS and Queens kids will certainly attend Brooklyn Tech or Brooklyn Latin for instance. (Both also specialized high schools).

Barring that, when you come to the city and its enrollment office this summer, try to get into what is known as a "selective" high school in the city. These are the ones that consider a kid's grades and standardized test scores--the higher the better. They are generally sound academically and the kids in them are way more serious students overall than those in what are known as "unscreened" "limited unscreened" and "zoned" programs. Those programs essentially accept anybody and often have much lower graduation and college readiness rates than the specialized high schools or selective high schools. Some of the better ones in Queens are Frank Sinatra (a performing arts school), Queens Gateway to Health Sciences, Bard High School Early College II, Baccalaureate School For Global Education (the IB program), and the Academy of American Studies. Some of these however, are also a good schlep from where you are and the kid would have to learn to navigate the bus and subway system quick--though New York kids do this all the time.

Finally there are "selective" programs in many zoned high schools (I know this is confusing) in Queens, and many of those programs and a few of the schools themselves , are places where the kid can get a good to great eduation. Look at what's offered in Bayside HS, Forest Hills HS, Frances Lewis HS, and Cardozo HS, all of which have selective programs in different subjects.

As someone already mentioned, Springfield Gardens HS was a lousy school and was closed down. It was replaced by some new small high schools i the same building, but my gut feeling is that they still have the same crummy students in them and the new schools probably aren't very good. This happens a lot in NYC. (But maybe someone here knows those schools better than me and can chime in.)

For more detailed info on those schools check out the insideschools.org site and of course the high school directory on the NYC Dept. Of Education site. You may strike gold in your search for a good school for your daughter/son, and I hope you do. But this craziness is what drives many New Yorkers to the 'burbs.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG23 View Post
Ok, so we're considering a place in Rosedale, Queens. We are a mixed (white husband, haitian wife) couple with 4 kids, one in High School. Valley Stream was our first choice, but too expensive....you get WAY more for your money right next door in Rosedale.

However, I've heard the HS there (Springfield Gardens High) sucks! Is this true? If so, how can I get our HS aged child to a different school? Especially being that we're in Atlanta until this summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Not sure what you mean by you get way more for your money in Rosedale. You have to keep in mind that with LI, you pay taxes and generally the schools are better than in NYC (that includes all the boroughs). So, just because your rent may be cheaper in Rosedale, is it worth sacrificing the quality of education? Your other option may be to look into other areas rather than focusing on Rosedale unless your kids don't mind traveling to go to school. Have you actually been to Rosedale or Valley Stream at all?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The best bet for you now is to find your daughter/son a copy of a NYC Specialized High School Test book, which are for sale anywhere in the city and certainly online. Have the kid sudy it as if his life educational life depended on it, becuase it just might. After moving into the city he/she will be eligible to take the test in the summer for placement into one of the specialized schools, and if things go OK your problem will be solved. But be forewarned. It is a VERY tough test for most kids. The Queens High School for Sciences at York College is nearby, but kids will travel much further than that for a specialized HS and Queens kids will certainly attend Brooklyn Tech or Brooklyn Latin for instance. (Both also specialized high schools).

Barring that, when you come to the city and its enrollment office this summer, try to get into what is known as a "selective" high school in the city. These are the ones that consider a kid's grades and standardized test scores--the higher the better. They are generally sound academically and the kids in them are way more serious students overall than those in what are known as "unscreened" "limited unscreened" and "zoned" programs. Those programs essentially accept anybody and often have much lower graduation and college readiness rates than the specialized high schools or selective high schools. Some of the better ones in Queens are Frank Sinatra (a performing arts school), Queens Gateway to Health Sciences, Bard High School Early College II, Baccalaureate School For Global Education (the IB program), and the Academy of American Studies. Some of these however, are also a good schlep from where you are and the kid would have to learn to navigate the bus and subway system quick--though New York kids do this all the time.

Finally there are "selective" programs in many zoned high schools (I know this is confusing) in Queens, and many of those programs and a few of the schools themselves , are places where the kid can get a good to great eduation. Look at what's offered in Bayside HS, Forest Hills HS, Frances Lewis HS, and Cardozo HS, all of which have selective programs in different subjects.

As someone already mentioned, Springfield Gardens HS was a lousy school and was closed down. It was replaced by some new small high schools i the same building, but my gut feeling is that they still have the same crummy students in them and the new schools probably aren't very good. This happens a lot in NYC. (But maybe someone here knows those schools better than me and can chime in.)

For more detailed info on those schools check out the insideschools.org site and of course the high school directory on the NYC Dept. Of Education site. You may strike gold in your search for a good school for your daughter/son, and I hope you do. But this craziness is what drives many New Yorkers to the 'burbs.
^^ All good High Schools

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Not sure what you mean by you get way more for your money in Rosedale. You have to keep in mind that with LI, you pay taxes and generally the schools are better than in NYC (that includes all the boroughs). So, just because your rent may be cheaper in Rosedale, is it worth sacrificing the quality of education? Your other option may be to look into other areas rather than focusing on Rosedale unless your kids don't mind traveling to go to school. Have you actually been to Rosedale or Valley Stream at all?
I think the OP means that because Rosedale is Queens and not LI, the property taxes are much lower. Nor would they have to pay the additional school taxes that homeowners on LI have to pay.

I also don't believe that LI schools are necessarily better. As has been pointed out already, there are numerous excellent High Schools in NYC. And being that they are part of the Public School system, are free of charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City