Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 AM

402 posts, read 811,866 times

Advertisements

No JlZZ bag I am posting to you not myself? What was the joke you made I missed it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Among the three, is there an ordrr of rank based on merit score, or is it all based on one's preference of which school of the three to attend? It seems like that more black students prefer Tech.
I'm Hispanic/Latino and I passed the SHSAT, though I didn't go to a specialized school. (I went to an honors program in my local school)

What happens is that the student ranks the schools in order of preference. Each school has a certain cutoff to get in.

So when I took the test, the cutoff for Stuyvesant was something like 550, and the cutoff for SI Tech was something like 500. (I didn't know this until I got the scores back). I got a 572, but my first choice was SI Tech, so when they sent me my score back, they said "You have the option to get into the Engineering program at SI Tech, or the Gateway program at Port Richmond", and I chose the latter.

FWIW, I kept in touch with some of my friends who went to SI Tech, and they said that the classes offered were basically the same, but it's just that you're not sharing classes such as gym with students who have lower grades. And keep in mind that lower grades doesn't necessarily mean that the student is going behave poorly (that should be obvious, and for that matter, there were kids with high grades in my school who were class clowns, which likely wouldn't have happened at SI Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the blacks and latinos in the NYC specialized schools got in through selection or affirmative action. Because there are so many Asians on the waiting list to get in, I can guarantee you that there is enough Asians in NYC to completely take over every spot in all of the specialized schools. The problem with that is the over representation of one race could create problems. It's a societal problem more than anything.
Yes, they gave me a few extra points on the SHSAT because I checked off Hispanic/Latino. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I was smart enough to be ranked third in the graduating class, score in the top 5% of the SAT/ACT, etc. Nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This is not legitimate argument and not worth continuing. If the quota system were used and not the merit system most of the students would be White in these schools. Followed by Latino, then closely followed by Blacks. Asians would be the noticeably smallest group. So go on to something else.
Actually, it would be Latino, then Black, then Asian, then White, because those are the demographics of the general NYC public school system. (The demographics you gave are for NYC as a whole).

Old 08-24-2013, 01:21 PM

259 posts, read 368,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vision33r
I think the blacks and latinos in the NYC
specialized schools got in through selection or affirmative action. Because
there are so many Asians on the waiting list to get in, I can guarantee you that
there is enough Asians in NYC to completely take over every spot in all of the
specialized schools. The problem with that is the over representation of one
race could create problems. It's a societal problem more than anything.
Yes, they gave me a few extra points on the SHSAT because I checked off Hispanic/Latino. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I was smart enough to be ranked third in the graduating class, score in the top 5% of the SAT/ACT, etc. Nothing at all.
It's hilarious how vision33r doesn't even know what he's talking about. You can make the argument that Asians are already overrepresented at Stuyvestant and Brooklyn Tech; did he even not see the numbers? (FYI: I don't have an opinion either way on the ethnic breakdown at either school.)

Affirmative action at the SHSAT. How hilarious. If that were the case, more than 9 black students would have gained admission to Stuy. Way to insult those 9 black students who did manage to meet the minimum this academic year. Actually, way to insult every black and Hispanic student who ever took that test and met the cutoffs for Stuyvestant/Bronx Science and/or Brooklyn Tech. They couldn't possibly be smart enough to comprehend the complex reading passages or do the complex math problems on that exam just because of their racial/ethnic background. They deserve an apology.

Besides, if there were affirmative action, I'd bet that a (non-black or non-Hispanic) parent who felt the way vision33r does would have filed a lawsuit in a New York minute.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, it would be Latino, then Black, then Asian, then White, because those are the demographics of the general NYC public school system. (The demographics you gave are for NYC as a whole).
When quotas are assigned they are usually assigned based on the general population percentages to allow
representation of group(s) that would be at a disadvantage to get into a school or hired into certain jobs. Asians would be the smallest group if quotas would be used not only because they are the smallest group in the population but also add that they have a clear advantage over every other group including the majority advantaged White group. Example police and fire dept exams.

Many Whites take the specialized US exams that attend parochial and private schools.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
When I grew up, In Tompkins Houses in the 70s and 80s, I knew at least 6 persons, including superlawyer Londell McMillan, who went to Tech. In addition, my cousin treked to Tech, from Wagner Houses in East Harlem! And at Syracuse, many of my fellow classmates, including my roomate, made SU "Tech City!" Another Tech/Syracuse alum is the late ballplayer Conrad McRae!

Tech was considered, of the Big Three, the "Black School" back then, due to it being overwhelmingly African American. Another thing about high schools in NYC is the fact that the were/are alternatives to the Big Three. I didn't find out about Hunter until I got to high school. It was our division rival in all sports. There's also Brooklyn Latin, which didn't exist when I went. Add to that schools in Queens like Bayside and Cardozo!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Tech was considered, of the Big Three, the "Black School" back then, due to it being overwhelmingly African American. Another thing about high schools in NYC is the fact that the were/are alternatives to the Big Three. I didn't find out about Hunter until I got to high school.
Yes. Not to denigrate Stuyvestant, Bronx Science, or Brooklyn Tech at all, but there are other (public) schools from which one can obtain a good education.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,372 times
9 new black students will enter Stuy high. It was 7 a few years back. Will the number down to the magical zero in near future? I wonder. Will black kids feel isolated and pick another school?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
9 new black students will enter Stuy high. It was 7 a few years back. Will the number down to the magical zero in near future? I wonder. Will black kids feel isolated and pick another school?
Please elaborate on the term "magical zero".

The stats given upthread was solely for students offered admission (i.e. those who met the cutoff on the entrance exam). The stats aren't about students who will definitely matriculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good at Math View Post
2013 admission:

—Stuyvesant : 9 blacks, 24 Latinos, 177 whites, 620 Asians.
—Bronx Science : 25 blacks, 54 Latinos, 239 whites, 489 Asian, 3 American Indians/Alaskan Natives.
—Brooklyn Tech : 110 blacks, 134 Latinos, 451 whites, 960 Asians, 5 American Indians/Alaskan Natives.

Source: http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/schoolbook/2013/mar/15/high-school-admissions/.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Please elaborate on the term "magical zero".
Zero means none, lowest of low, no representation. 9 is a bad number now but it is still some. Even 1 is much better than 0, don't you think? If zero, will there be any outcry, admission policy change, lawsuits?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Zero means none, lowest of low, no representation. 9 is a bad number now but it is still some.
My question was about the adjective "magical" and why you chose it to modify the word "zero", not about the definition of the word "zero".

I'm not going to speculate as to how some would react if the number were zero. The admissions test is challenging; I took it myself years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City