Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times

Advertisements

Of course first the Gateway project has to happen, and I wouldn't dive into the Hudson and hold my breath for it if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Was this a reference to the Second Avenue Subway?

Even if it wasn't, has anyone heard when it might reach the financial district? Wikipedia has Phase 1 being completed in 2016, but provides no dates for phases 2 through 4. Until it reaches downtown, there will be no relief from the crush of passengers at GCT trying to get onto the 4 and 5 trains.
No, it was a reference to the IND Second System. The plans were cancelled at the onset of WWII.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Wikipedia has Phase 1 being completed in 2016, but provides no dates for phases 2 through 4. Until it reaches downtown, there will be no relief from the crush of passengers at GCT trying to get onto the 4 and 5 trains.
Not only are there no firm plans to complete the Second Avenue line beyond Phase One, there is no federal money allocated to do so. So it is possible nobody reading this thread will live to see the completion to the Financial District.
But assuming that only Phase One is built, a LOT of passenger pressure will be taken of Grand Central becasue those needing service to the East Side of the UES will either get on the Q train (the Second Avenue Subway) from the F train at 63rd, or else just continue up Second Avenue after riding from Lower Manhattan via the Q as it runs now.
If one is going to UPPER Manhattan or the Bronx, any changes needed from Q to 4 and 5 trains can be made at 125th.

No need for any transfers at Grand Central.

Bottleneck will be at 63rd at rush hour when a gazillion people from the F try to get onto already full Q trains. That's the reason for that humongous station deep in the bowels of the Earth (must be the deeepest in the City?)

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not only are there no firm plans to complete the Second Avenue line beyond Phase One, there is no federal money allocated to do so. So it is possible nobody reading this thread will live to see the completion to the Financial District.
But assuming that only Phase One is built, a LOT of passenger pressure will be taken of Grand Central becasue those needing service to the East Side of the UES will either get on the Q train (the Second Avenue Subway) from the F train at 63rd, or else just continue up Second Avenue after riding from Lower Manhattan via the Q as it runs now.
If one is going to UPPER Manhattan or the Bronx, any changes needed from Q to 4 and 5 trains can be made at 125th.

No need for any transfers at Grand Central.

Bottleneck will be at 63rd at rush hour when a gazillion people from the F try to get onto already full Q trains. That's the reason for that humongous station deep in the bowels of the Earth (must be the deeepest in the City?)
I think the deepest station is somewhere in Washington Heights. I think it's 181st Street on the (1).

Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I think the deepest station is somewhere in Washington Heights. I think it's 181st Street on the (1).

Have you DONE the 4 escalators down into the 63rd and Lex station? I may have done the 181st on the 1 (not sure, been to Washington Heights only once, perhaps 5 years ago) I don't recall it being as deep as the entrance to Hell for the F train. But perhaps I used another WH station.

You may be right though.

Anyone else care to compare the depth of the two stations?

(A subway trivia site says 191st on the 1&9 train is the deepest at 160 feet but since the 63rd St station is relatively new and the 9 train has not run for quite a while, that data might be old. I found better data indicating the Queens track at 63rd is 100 feet down, so checkmate is correct with the Washington Heights station. I've got to take a look sometime.))

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-06-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM

119 posts, read 249,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Have you DONE the 4 escalators down into the 63rd and Lex station? I may have done the 181st on the 1 (not sure, been to Washington Heights only once, perhaps 5 years ago) I don't recall it being as deep as the entrance to Hell for the F train. But perhaps I used another WH station.

You may be right though.

Anyone else care to compare the depth of the two stations?

(A subway trivia site says 191st on the 1&9 train is the deepest at 160 feet but since the 63rd St station is relatively new and the 9 train has not run for quite a while, that data might be old. I found better data indicating the Queens track at 63rd is 100 feet down, so checkmate is correct with the Washington Heights station. I've got to take a look sometime.))
191st Street is the deepest in the system at 180 feet. Lexington Avenue-63rd Street is 80 feet or 100 feet depending on Queens-bound or downtown.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Can they use the existing PATH tunnels for more trains?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Can they use the existing PATH tunnels for more trains?
No , the trains are not compatible....and theres no connect between the systems...

Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Honestly, its not necessary. It's an NYC train system. There's a good number of buses, Amtrak and the Path Train to go you to New Jersey.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
there need to be 50 trains to NJ

yo bloomerg, how about some of your own millions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City