Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

Well that's great and all, but I was laughing at the name "Bedford Corners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Hush now Henna, it's important that people live in Brooklyn for some reason.

I specified Brooklyn because I assumed I could live there with my budget. I am open to other suggestions as well. I'm on this forum because I'm obviously unfamiliar with the city so any input is helpful, including suggestions about other boroughs like Queens.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf434570 View Post
I specified Brooklyn because I assumed I could live there with my budget. I am open to other suggestions as well. I'm on this forum because I'm obviously unfamiliar with the city so any input is helpful, including suggestions about other boroughs like Queens.
Well definitely look into Sunnyside (as has been stated), Woodside, or even Jackson Heights. The latter could be a culture shock to you, I dunno where you're from. But aside from some catcalls you'd be fine there. All of those areas are one shot on the 7 train straight to times square. Couldn't be easier. Granted the 7 may be f'd up on weekends at times, but so are Brooklyn lines at times.

Also check out Astoria. Has more going on nightlife wise, but a little pricier. Still not as bad as coolville, north brooklyn though.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM

67 posts, read 112,899 times
Try Sunset Park, you can pick up the D train to Times Sq there at 36 street. It is a neighborhood that is going through gentrification and getting "hipstery".

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf434570 View Post
Hi I'm 22 yrs old and just got a job in NYC. I don't know anyone living there, so I need to find a studio/1 bedroom around $1500/month. I know this will be difficult and I don't mind living in less trendy neighborhoods, but I want to make sure I'm in a safer neighborhood. My job is in Times Square so somewhere that provides an easy commute is better.

I'm looking mainly in Brooklyn because it's more affordable and I know with my limited budget I would never be able to live in Manhattan. Any advice on the best neighborhoods would be great! Also any websites you may know of for apartment hunting would be helpful!

To make your commute easier, I second the recommendations for Queens.

If Brooklyn is a must, and you are interested in being around a younger/more bohemian crowd, I would recommend Bushwick (Jefferson, Dekalb).

Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
To make your commute easier, I second the recommendations for Queens.

If Brooklyn is a must, and you are interested in being around a younger/more bohemian crowd, I would recommend Bushwick (Jefferson, Dekalb).
In another thread you just called the area around Franklin Ave C train "hood" and here you are offering up Bushwick to a newbie transplant
Albeit this is a different thread/topic but LMAO!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM

30 posts, read 119,239 times
I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life, and I love it. Expensive in the best areas, but if u can afford it it can be a great time! I have to say there are many areas that have definitely changed for the better but to my knowledge Bed-Stuy is not quite there yet. Still one the highest crime areas in Brooklyn along with East New York and Brownsville. (Definitely try to stay away from the last two mentioned) Your budget for a one bedroom is pretty good which could open you up to a lot of options. Contrary to what some might tell you, you may be able to find something in Park Slope, although expensive and not very big, it's definitely not as expensive as the Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, or Dumbo area. Queens is nice too but can be pretty complicated transportation wise for someone just getting to NYC. Most areas require bus and train into the city, so it would definitely take some getting used to. Would definitely require some practice. If I were you I would stick to Brooklyn as the commute would be much easier, and for the most part require less time. Check out this article, it lists some of the best apartment search websites for NYC apartments:

Best apartment websites and apps

Good luck and welcome to the NYC! Hope you like it

Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Well definitely look into Sunnyside (as has been stated), Woodside, or even Jackson Heights. The latter could be a culture shock to you, I dunno where you're from. But aside from some catcalls you'd be fine there. All of those areas are one shot on the 7 train straight to times square. Couldn't be easier. Granted the 7 may be f'd up on weekends at times, but so are Brooklyn lines at times.

Also check out Astoria. Has more going on nightlife wise, but a little pricier. Still not as bad as coolville, north brooklyn though.
After looking into the Queens suggestion, I actually found a lot of apartments in Jackson Heights but wasn't sure about the area. I've been living in Philadelphia for 4 years, so I don't think it would be much of a culture shock. Would the commute still be relatively easy?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
I would go with Sunnyside or Woodside near the 61st St. express station over Jackson Heights--the commute will be considerably faster.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I would go with Sunnyside or Woodside near the 61st St. express station over Jackson Heights--the commute will be considerably faster.

True that if you're on the local stops in Jackson Heights, the train can drag a little. It'll still be quicker getting to Times Square than from friggin Sunset Park though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City