Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
problems will start well before manhattan is inundated with water and the problems that start wills seriously affect life in New York. that's unescapable.
This is just stupid fear mongering. It would be much cheaper to just build a huge dam across the lower bay (like in the Netherlands) than abandon NYC. As a bonus you can put a highway on top of the dam that goes from Breezy Point, Queens to Sandy Hook, NJ. Even on the cheap, you can replace the Verrazzano Bridge with a dam, that would prevent at least Manhattan from being flooded... and Staten Island would finally get a subway connection with the rest of NYC .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM

240 posts, read 621,759 times
Surely you meant to say "World's Greatest Shytty"!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
remember the ice age that was due by now ?

and the fiery pits ?

run for the hills!
We're still in an ice age.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Yes, and in about one billion years, liquid water will be impossible on Earth due to increasing tidal forces from the sun, and even if we have moved out and colonized the stars, many billions of years after that, thanks the second law of thermodynamics, the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy, and life in its most basic definition - information processing - will be impossible.

Hence, nihilism is the only logical state of mind.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Yes, and in about one billion years, liquid water will be impossible on Earth due to increasing tidal forces from the sun, and even if we have moved out and colonized the stars, many billions of years after that, thanks the second law of thermodynamics, the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy, and life in its most basic definition - information processing - will be impossible.

Hence, nihilism is the only logical state of mind.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism#_

can you direct me towards something that substantiates that opinion ?

thanks

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM

240 posts, read 621,759 times
Quote:
Nihilism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks

Why all this worry about what's gonna happen in a billion years when in just a billion seconds Barack Hussein Obankster is gonna ram the ship of this country against the freakin' rocks?

Riddle me that.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Nihilism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks
Sure here you go.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Why all this worry about what's gonna happen in a billion years when in just a billion seconds Barack Hussein Obankster is gonna ram the ship of this country against the freakin' rocks?

Riddle me that.
I don't really know but I guess the logic is that none of it really matters since everything will become nothing and that morals don't really mean a thing and there's nothing to deter people from doing bad stuff.

Well except incarceration but if you are the law it can't come after you.. so you do whatever is necessary to remain the law, to continue doing what you do.

IDK if I agree with that but I'm about to read more into it.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
We're still in an ice age.
lol, not sure if you're serious or not but if this is an ice age then IDT we've much to fear.

I was being sarcastic with those statements because I remember the warnings of the first decade of the new millennium California was gonna be 30 miles from the mainland. NYC be flooded, and ice caps everywhere unless we paid carbon taxes.

Inject the climate with cash, perfect plan!

But here we are into decade 2 of the new millennium, Al Gore is still rich and living large off carbon taxes and the climate is still perfectly fine. Well aside from a mild winter in the north east but STILL not record setting(records onky date back 80years or so).

I cal bologna

Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
much was learned from this link 👍
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: