Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

Do you agree?

NYC is the Greenest City in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Wow the utopian community was Manhattan. This thing is so one sided. NO way in hell I agree that NYC is the most greenest city in America. This city is far from being a green city, not only that but wouldnt be nice to have the stars under the city at night? The city needs to work on light pollution, also the city needs to work on noise pollution. In order for the city to be green, the city needs to retro fit all of its buildings, such as office buildings, stadiums, housing pjs, places of worship, coops, condos you name it with energy saving or cost cutting devices like solar panels, windmills, or special absorbant or reflective paint. WHen I was taking a short cut through central park, I had the honor of telling a eco tourist that Central park is out of touch with nature, because the park is surroneded by tall buildings, and tourist and runners galore, he said I was right. I told him check out Van courtland park in the BRonx or Jamaica wild life preserve for bird watching. But NYC is far from being a green city even with bloomberg farsided vision of a green future city.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wow the utopian community was Manhattan. This thing is so one sided. NO way in hell I agree that NYC is the most greenest city in America. This city is far from being a green city, not only that but wouldnt be nice to have the stars under the city at night? The city needs to work on light pollution, also the city needs to work on noise pollution. In order for the city to be green, the city needs to retro fit all of its buildings, such as office buildings, stadiums, housing pjs, places of worship, coops, condos you name it with energy saving or cost cutting devices like solar panels, windmills, or special absorbant or reflective paint. WHen I was taking a short cut through central park, I had the honor of telling a eco tourist that Central park is out of touch with nature, because the park is surroneded by tall buildings, and tourist and runners galore, he said I was right. I told him check out Van courtland park in the BRonx or Jamaica wild life preserve for bird watching. But NYC is far from being a green city even with bloomberg farsided vision of a green future city.
Did you read the article? He means NYC is greener by using less energy and resources, not that it feels natural. City buildings use less energy by being in the city (less need to drive to the, one big building has less heating needs than the same space in smaller building) that even without special energy efficient equipment or solar panels they are greener than suburban buildings.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM

138 posts, read 314,854 times
I strongly agree with the points made. However, I feel the city has a lot to do that it should have done already.

-For one the city should have encouraged Washington Heights like density to the city limits.

-Staten Island is not like the rest of the city thanks to no direct subway access to MN.

-Never should have removed the street cars.

-Better subway access needed in QN, SI, BK and the far East Bronx. Also down the central west BX since they tore down the Third Ave El.

-Congestion pricing.

-BRT should have been in effect a long time ago (Thanks to lack of street cars) along with traffic calming.

-McMansions should be banned, urban designs only.

-New Jersey subway expansions.

-Renewable energy and green buildings, should be much more by now.

Among other things.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
- Direct subway access to Manhattan
* Who's going to pay for the tunnel or bridge?

- Better subway access in the 4 boroughs
* Who's going to pay for it? How are you going to convince the NIMBYs to let you run a subway down their street?

- Congestion pricing
* Too much political pressure against it at the moment. Hopefully it'll change in the near future.

- New Jersey subway expansion
* Since Chris Christie pulled the plug on the ARC project, there were preliminary talks about using the money to extend the 7 line into NJ. Not sure if this has progressed or not.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM

276 posts, read 432,825 times
I think San Francisco has to be the greenest in the country, everyone over there drives hybrid, bikes, or use public transit. If you drive an SUV in that city you'll be looked down upon.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:08 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
San Francisco pledged to use 100% renewable energy by 2020.

San Francisco eyes 100% renewable electricity target | BrighterEnergy.org

Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
- Direct subway access to Manhattan
* Who's going to pay for the tunnel or bridge?
Now these are things I would like, but that should have been included decades ago with the usual payment methods.

Quote:
- Better subway access in the 4 boroughs
* Who's going to pay for it? How are you going to convince the NIMBYs to let you run a subway down their street?
Third Ave El never should have been torn down and the extensions will hopefully come with time.

Quote:
- Congestion pricing
* Too much political pressure against it at the moment. Hopefully it'll change in the near future.
I hope so, we are only missing out.

Quote:
- New Jersey subway expansion
* Since Chris Christie pulled the plug on the ARC project, there were preliminary talks about using the money to extend the 7 line into NJ. Not sure if this has progressed or not.
Hopefully it will, would reduce traffic (+pollution) significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
I think San Francisco has to be the greenest in the country, everyone over there drives hybrid, bikes, or use public transit. If you drive an SUV in that city you'll be looked down upon.
San Fransisco has higher car ownership than NYC, less mass transit usage and not as dense, more sprawled. Not everyone owns a hybrid but the city is pushing for electric cars hard with a brand new infrastructure for charging.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I've gotta agree. Living in NY my whole life, there is NO way ny is green friendly, mabe Cali or FL but not NY.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
I've gotta agree. Living in NY my whole life, there is NO way ny is green friendly, mabe Cali or FL but not NY.
Can you explain what points you disagree with from the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: