Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM

620 posts, read 1,074,228 times

Advertisements

I planning on visiting Canada soon but don't know which city to go to ....

I am a big foody !! and enjoy cool museums , sight seeing and DIVERSITY

Toronto and Montreal both seem cool... but I don't know which one to go to !?!

Anyone from NYC visited ?? Which one would be better to visit and spend a few days ???

P.S. I will not have a car and will most likely stay at a hostel ...HELP PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,839,514 times
A lot of my friends like Toronto but I've never been to either city.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,256,171 times
If you like major act concerts avoid Montreal!

//www.city-data.com/forum/montr...re-during.html

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,088,492 times
Go to Vancouver and forget Toronto and Montreal.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,256,171 times
I don't know much about Vancouver but remember reading that it's the drug Mecca of Canada.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,909,097 times
I've been to Toronto, and it's quite ok. Nothing outta this world or overly special about it. I drove there. Took us like 9 hrs.
I'm planning on going to Montreal also, and I would like to drive there as well. I think it takes like 6 hrs.

Anyway, I think that due to the cultural and languge differences, Montral should be the most interesting of the two.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM

824 posts, read 2,792,570 times
Never been, but I would imagine Montreal would be the more interesting. However there is the language barrier. I was at a Ranger/Maple Leafs game at MSG with a friend who speaks fluent French, and a couple of seats over there were a couple of French Canadians (ok, I know the Maple Leafs are from Toronto, which is English spoken, not Montreal, but I digress) and my pal said, I don't know what language they're speaking, but it ain't French!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,220 times
I've visited both of these cities many times, have family living in both cities. A NYCer would definitely enjoy both of them, they're vibrant, cosmopolitan cities, but as to which you would like better would depend on your interests and what you're looking for.
Both of them have great food, as many varieties as you'll find in NYC since both have very diverse populations.

Toronto is a huge city, bigger than any of the cities in the Northeast except for NYC. In some ways it looks like NYC, in fact a lot of films/TV shows supposedly set in NYC are filmed there--one time I saw a Brooklyn bus and bus stop sign that had been set up on a Toronto street. Lots of festivals, art, cultural events.

They both have cool, world-class museums, but the museums are a little pricey so your best bet with the museums is to find out their reduced-price times--most of them have an afternoon/evening with discounted prices.

Montreal has the French-speaking population and a beautiful Old City which still has some buildings from the 1700s: Historic City Center: Old Montreal
It has a great jazzfest in the summer with lots of different musical styles represented and lots of free outdoor performances.
From Montreal you can also get on a bus for a 2 1/2 hour ride to Quebec City, which is gorgeous--the old walled city there will make you feel like you're in Europe.

Both of them are easy to get to by bus--to Toronto you can take Greyhound or Megabus--if you go to the megabus.com site at least a month ahead of time you can get tickets for $80 round trip or less. It's a 10-11 hour ride. Montreal is a shorter ride, 7-8 hours. Both of these travel times factor in stops and an hour to get across the border.

Tell us more about what you're interested in for sight seeing and I can give you more suggestions.

Last edited by gk90; 05-11-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Never been, but I would imagine Montreal would be the more interesting. However there is the language barrier. I was at a Ranger/Maple Leafs game at MSG with a friend who speaks fluent French, and a couple of seats over there were a couple of French Canadians (ok, I know the Maple Leafs are from Toronto, which is English spoken, not Montreal, but I digress) and my pal said, I don't know what language they're speaking, but it ain't French!
LOL, I took 5 years of French in High school and college but the first time I was in Montreal and heard people speaking French I didn't recognize it as French either. But there are enough native English-speakers around (William Shatner is from Montreal) or French speakers with some English who will take pity on a tourist.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,909,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
It's called quebecois. And it's basically French with a new world twist to it.
And I doubt there will be a language barrier as a large percentage of the population understands and can speak English well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City