Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM

175 posts, read 353,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdalloway View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Why is that?

The neighborhood isn't designed for young professionals who move to the city and want to have local entertainment and cool/trendy local places to drink and eat.

You will spend all of your time going downtown and eventually resent living so far uptown.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few jazz joints (St. Nicks Pub) and a couple of restaurants, but the area is still lacking.

I lived on ACP and 144th for 3 years...it just isn't worth it. There are so many better neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Pretty much everything above 96th street is trouble with the exception of a few blocks. Even if you happen to find a decent street or building to live at in harlem, you'll always be within a stone throw away from trouble and violence. Last time I went to the DMV on 125th street I said to myself...."does'nt anyone work up here?" The entire strip was packed with shady (BLACK AND LATIN)people just standing around doing absolutely nothing!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11kap View Post
what they are trying to say is,
'stay in a whiter neighborhood'.
:d

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Get a hold of EastBoundandDownChick. Let her tell you her story from her HarlemNewbie days. She made it in Harlem for only four months before she fled the city.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Any Blvd/Street/Ave named after a black civil rights leader/activist is usually a bad area.

Pretty much sums it up

Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Safe? Eh, it's not great but it's okay. Depends on who you are and your tolerance level. For me, at 134th and Broadway as a white female I did not feel comfortable. Safe? I guess. But not welcome. Not at all. I was respectful and nice to my neighbors and we tolerated each other, but the whole time it was clear we were from two separate worlds... they wanted to keep life the way they had it, and that didn't involve others outside of their national origin. They didn't want their rents going up. The rent was cheap, that's the only good thing about it. You get what you pay for. In NYC, $700 a month for rent is NOTHING and you will likely end up in a crappy neighborhood you really don't want to be in for that kind of money... WITH roommates.

I was catcalled at on a daily basis as an average looking female. I got pissed off at the fact I had to jump the train just to get to a Starbucks when I really wanted one. Or any English speaking people I culturally identified with, for that matter. You find yourself living two lives- the one you live downtown and the one you live uptown. You hate the uptown life, and yes- you do grow to resent it quickly. Had I stayed in NYC I would have upped my rent to about 1K a month and gotten into a roommate situation in a better neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens. Life didn't work that way but if I had to do it over, I would have taken the natives' advice and bypassed Manhattan entirely. Don't just think about safety as the deciding factor. Make sure you also consider quality of life.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM

oh wow..that bad?
Eastbound I am curious to hear more of your story. What made you leave NYC? Where did you end up?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
oh wow..that bad?
Eastbound I am curious to hear more of your story. What made you leave NYC? Where did you end up?

All of her threads and posts are here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchuser=846027

and here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...duser&u=846027

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,023 times
I'm a single, middle complexioned, african american female. Like, not light, but not dark. Will I be safe in this neighborhood?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambs View Post
I'm a single, middle complexioned, african american female. Like, not light, but not dark. Will I be safe in this neighborhood?
NO! U must make ur skin just 1 shade darker then no danger will come ur way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: