Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times

Advertisements

HEY.

I feel like the dance club scene in NYC has been lacking over the years. I haven't been clubbing for very long (only since I was 20, now I am 24) and I feel that a lot of the dance clubs have been closing (Club Exit, Avalon, just to name a few) and the club scene is just very minuscule in NYC. There's PLENTY of lounges and bars with small dance floors, but there's not many dance clubs in NYC that have several different floors of music to dance too, or huge laser lights and fog effects and the rest of spectacles that dance clubs or made of.

There's Pacha, Cielo, Webster Hall, Sullivan Room, Rebel. Just the ones I can name off the top of my head but not for nothing, it's not saying much. Pacha, Cielo and Webster Hall can be fun but it just hasn't been the same to me. (Sorry for this rant)It seems like the NYC clubs have a crazy man to lady ratio and on top of that, most the men creep up on women like there's no tomorrow and then a very respectful guy like myself can't get any women because the ladies seem to just want to be in there crowd. It's not only the women but the people in general. It just seems like no one goes to clubs to socialize in NYC anymore but to just be with there crowd of people and have fun. Which I understand but me personally-I am always down for meeting new and fun people and especially always interesting in meeting a nice woman. (Sorry about that little rant/complaint. Just wanted to throw that in there)

The clubs are pretty expensive but I can't complain about that because they are always expensive. I don't know but it just seems like the clubs scene is not that big of a deal in NYC nowadays. I can find plenty of bars/lounges with small dance floors but I just miss the clubs where I have plenty of space to dance and go crazy, instead of being cramped.

Anyone else feel the same way? Agree, disagree? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
The night life in NYC is nothing like it used to be. I remember in the 90s, I used to frequent Limelight, Palladium, Tunnel, Soundfactory, Twilo, the list goes on and on. Also used to go to a lot of raves. There is nothing that compares to the clubs in NYC back then. I'm glad I'm older and got to experience all of that.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, you're EXTREMELY lucky Jen. My older friends tell me about the good times in the 90's till early 2000's about how the clubs were really fun and how the rave scene was "popping". I also still go to raves but it's just nothing like it is in Europe or even on the West side of the states for that matter or other places in the world. The dance scene in NYC, I'm just not feeling as much. I tend to prefer small little get together or house parties then to go to clubs nowadays in NYC.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Oh yea Jen!
I remember those days. I've been to all of the clubs you mentioned.
The Limelight was easily the best adventure.
If you weren't there to witness it-there really is no way to describe it.
Kids today have no clue.
Remember "Save the Robots"?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Oh yea Jen!
I remember those days. I've been to all of the clubs you mentioned.
The Limelight was easily the best adventure.
If you weren't there to witness it-there really is no way to describe it.
Kids today have no clue.
Remember "Save the Robots"?

OMG kingfish, of course I do! I can't believe I didn't mention that one!

It's true, you can't really explain what the experience was like in many of those old clubs, you just had to be there!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
This isn't isolated to NYC; nationwide, people are trending away from megaclubs and now like smaller, loungy venues. Those don't have a shortage of women either, just smaller and more intimate dance floors. Almost every decent-sized city had a huge dance club scene in the 90s. You'll have to go to Europe or a resort/Spring Break area for those types of places nowadays.

I had great times in dance clubs, great memories. Times change though!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
This isn't isolated to NYC; nationwide, people are trending away from megaclubs and now like smaller, loungy venues. Those don't have a shortage of women either, just smaller and more intimate dance floors. Almost every decent-sized city had a huge dance club scene in the 90s. You'll have to go to Europe or a resort/Spring Break area for those types of places nowadays.

I had great times in dance clubs, great memories. Times change though!

Some cities still have the mega dance clubs. When I was in Miami and Las Vegas, they had some HUGE clubs. Then again, I guess those places are known for their clubs.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
disagree...the club scene is fine, depending on where you go. As a matter of fact, it may be a little better now than it was at the beginning of the decade.
The more wilder clubs from the 80s 90s have been trimmed down though. But i agree that there always seem to be more men than women out there. It really makes me wonder when these magazines talk about nyc having more single women than men out there.

I agree that it has become too expensive now for the most part. Anytime beers run $7 a pop and mixed drinks anywhere from $15-$25 on fridays and weekends, you know it's time to keep your ass inside.

seems like a decent date can easily run you over $100 for a night...a dinner can run you easily $50...a movie $12 per ticket...then a club with drinks over $30+ for a few people...add in cab fare and there ya have it...all that and you might not get laid....try figuring that one out.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Some cities still have the mega dance clubs. When I was in Miami and Las Vegas, they had some HUGE clubs. Then again, I guess those places are known for their clubs.
You're right, to add, I would classify Las Vegas and Miami (South Beach where the clubs are)as resorts, not normal US cities. I should have clarified it.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
You're right, to add, I would classify Las Vegas and Miami (South Beach where the clubs are)as resorts, not normal US cities. I should have clarified it.
I could agree about Vegas being more of a resort. Miami has plenty of residential areas that have life in it. In Vegas, once you pass the beautiful flashing lights and neon lit buildings and rest of the spectacle, it's not nearly as great. There's nothing in that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City