Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,259,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
No more than Brooklyn..so what's your point? Beautification and greening of the borough is happening, new housing, new businesses, new infrastructure, new services, new amenities are all streaming in. Change is already occuring...it's just that you are too busy staring at the graffitti on the off ramp while ignoring the new housing across the street, new trees, and new stores.
But graffiti is a tell tell sign of the neighborhood. Do you see graffiti in Riverdale? No. Do you see graffiti and a run down neighborhood when you cross the henry hudson bridge into the Bronx? No. Because when you cross the Bridge, you hit Riverdale. Riverdale is not known to have ghetto residents and it shows you drive by it. You can't say the same thing about the numerous Bronx access points because they pale in comparison.

Look at it this way, just like Rudy Giulliani's successful concept of replacing "broken windows" to give it the appearance or illusion that things are not out of control. Its all a mindset. People judge on appearances. So its fair for one to think and associate Projects, graffiti, R.I.P. murals, etc. with "hood" life. Something they prefer not to live around and I don't blame them. Clean up the eye sores in the Bronx and the perception will change for the better. Alot of it is cosmetic and a matter of sweeping the damn sidewalk and power washing/ painting over graffiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,389,726 times
Yes I do see graffitti in Riverdale..kids are kids no matter how much money you have. Riverdale is not known to have ghetto residents or that element because it was never built for that purpose. With the exception of the housing projects by the Target mall..there are no low-income developments. This has nothing to do with anything special about the residents, it has to do with the city not building low income housing here.

I will agree with your second paragraph however.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,098,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But graffiti is a tell tell sign of the neighborhood. Do you see graffiti in Riverdale? No. Do you see graffiti and a run down neighborhood when you cross the henry hudson bridge into the Bronx? No. Because when you cross the Bridge, you hit Riverdale. Riverdale is not known to have ghetto residents and it shows you drive by it. You can't say the same thing about the numerous Bronx access points because they pale in comparison.

Look at it this way, just like Rudy Giulliani's successful concept of replacing "broken windows" to give it the appearance or illusion that things are not out of control. Its all a mindset. People judge on appearances. So its fair for one to think and associate Projects, graffiti, R.I.P. murals, etc. with "hood" life. Something they prefer not to live around and I don't blame them. Clean up the eye sores in the Bronx and the perception will change for the better. Alot of it is cosmetic and a matter of sweeping the damn sidewalk and power washing/ painting over graffiti.
The only problem with this is that Williamsburg is one of the dirtiest and most graffitied up neighborhoods in the whole city and nobody views it as ghetto or a sign of decay.The graffiti and filth there certainly haven't affected property values or the march of "gentrification".It's not of any better quality than the graffiti in The Bronx either but somehow the world is convinced that in Williamsburg it's art and that the trash on the streets is "edgy".

My Bronx neighborhood actually has substantially less graffiti and is much cleaner than Williamsburg, which was my old neighborhood.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-04-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Williamsburg and the Bronx are worlds apart.
For one, The Bronx has been stigmatized almost beyond repair.
A lot of people see the Bronx as almost entirely hood, - and sadly enough, the safety maps seem to corroborate that image- And that perception will not fade away so easily in people's minds. that's the main reason why the Bronx remains the cheapest boro.
Once the hood perception goes away, you will see the Bronx changing the way Brooklyn did.
till then it's gonna be a painfully gradual transition.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Williamsburg and the Bronx are worlds apart.
A lot of people see the Bronx as almost entirely hood, - and sadly enough, the safety maps seem to corroborate that image- And that perception will not fade away so easily in people's minds. that's the main reason why the Bronx remains the cheapest boro.
Once the hood perception goes away, you will see the Bronx changing the way Brooklyn did.
Right,I agree.The graffiti and filth have little to do with it.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Yes Williamsburg and the Bronx are worlds apart...one is a small industrial neighborhood in Brooklyn with lackluster architecture at best and a whole lotta hype. The other is an entire borough...so you are definitely right..worlds apart!

I didn't realize the "hood" perception of Brooklyn left though...I mean it left a few neighborhoods..but Brooklyn as a whole has the most dangerous neighborhoods in NYC..East NY!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Ask any two NYers which one they think has more dangerous areas, the Bronx or Brooklyn, see what the overall perception of each boro is.

I've asked many people and I was just basically sumarizing them on my previous post.

But if you don't wanna do that, you can also go take a look at
Brooklyn Safety Map - Google Maps

and

Bronx Safety Map - Google Maps

and see which one has more red areas...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM

I don't doubt perception, but has nothing to do with reality. Brooklyn is also twice the size and population of the Bronx. But again...East NY far and away the most dangerous hood in all of NYC...and the Bronx and BK both have their share of that market...Brooklyn just has a better marketing machine.

But this isn't about BX v BK..so don't hijack the thread..let's stick to topic. And the fact remains..people never stopped recommending the borough...but it is now more appealing to a wider group of people.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Given that there is a major problem with perceptions, you would think that someone in a position of power would start some kind of a campaign to try to change perceptions.It really wouldn't take much at all to launch an ad campaign highlighting the positive aspects of The Bronx and the different neighborhoods, the way different states promote themselves for tourism dollars.

Unfortunately,the elected BX representatives have nothing to gain and everything to lose by such a campaign so it will never happen.They have too much of a stake in keeping things the way they are and there would be a backlash by those worried about the possible "gentrification" that might be a result of such a campaign.

In my mind,The Bx's biggest hindrance to change is not graffiti or even the high crime neighborhoods.It's the elected officials.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
Quote:
Ask any two NYers which one they think has more dangerous areas, the Bronx or Brooklyn, see what the overall perception of each boro is.

I've asked many people and I was just basically sumarizing them on my previous post.

But if you don't wanna do that, you can also go take a look at
Brooklyn Safety Map - Google Maps

and

Bronx Safety Map - Google Maps

and see which one has more red areas...
Brooklyn is more dense than Bronx in population especially in high crime areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City