Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Given that there is a major problem with perceptions, you would think that someone in a position of power would start some kind of a campaign to try to change perceptions.It really wouldn't take much at all to launch an ad campaign highlighting the positive aspects of The Bronx and the different neighborhoods, the way different states promote themselves for tourism dollars.

Unfortunately,the elected BX representatives have nothing to gain and everything to lose by such a campaign so it will never happen.They have too much of a stake in keeping things the way they are and there would be a backlash by those worried about the possible "gentrification" that might be a result of such a campaign.

In my mind,The Bx's biggest hindrance to change is not graffiti or even the high crime neighborhoods.It's the elected officials.
I agree, Bronx politicians are very Tammany. Sadly politicians in the borough still screw over their constituents who elected them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times
Yeah, BK's worst areas are the scariest nabes in the whole city. I dunno its weird though when someone makes it from brooklyn they wear it like a badge of pride when its someone from the bx they downplay it. Almost like they had sucess despite where they came from not because of it. The people from the bronx can do a much better job of helping, presenting a more positive image.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree, Bronx politicians are very Tammany. Sadly politicians in the borough still screw over their constituents who elected them.
Well that exists in brooklyn too. Cough cough vito lopez...

Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,226,929 times
I have a feeling that the Bronx will begin to be more of a recommended neighborhood when almost all of Manhattan is asking $3000+ for the rents. It will be interesting to see what the effects of the 2nd Ave Subway line is gonna have with the rents on the UES which could push people northward looking for more affordable rents.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,259,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Given that there is a major problem with perceptions, you would think that someone in a position of power would start some kind of a campaign to try to change perceptions.It really wouldn't take much at all to launch an ad campaign highlighting the positive aspects of The Bronx and the different neighborhoods, the way different states promote themselves for tourism dollars.

Unfortunately,the elected BX representatives have nothing to gain and everything to lose by such a campaign so it will never happen.They have too much of a stake in keeping things the way they are and there would be a backlash by those worried about the possible "gentrification" that might be a result of such a campaign.

In my mind,The Bx's biggest hindrance to change is not graffiti or even the high crime neighborhoods.It's the elected officials.
Unfortunately, the Bronx stigma is deeply imbedded in the general public. When I mentioned graffiti, I meant it as the sight of seeing it in addition to the projects in the skyline, dirty streets, people loitering/hanging out in the streets all further solidifies the stigma that holds the Bronx back. Not to mention the overwhelming fact that the majority of the Bronx neighborhoods are predominately minority. Brooklyn on the other hand has quite a few predominately white neighborhoods. All these facts factor into the perception of the Bronx. I more than anyone one else want the Bronx to prosper but I think those issues need to be addressed for the Bronx to be a true attraction for gentrifiers and turn a corner.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Its a combo of things. The boro can definitely use some better PR thats for sure. For instance how many people know its the borough with the most parkland? How about close to none. Arthur ave is the best little italy in the city. Bronx zoo and bot garden are world class insitutions. These things don't get talked about enough frankly...

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,259,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Its a combo of things. The boro can definitely use some better PR thats for sure. For instance how many people know its the borough with the most parkland? How about close to none. Arthur ave is the best little italy in the city. Bronx zoo and bot garden are world class insitutions. These things don't get talked about enough frankly...
Very true

Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Unfortunately, the Bronx stigma is deeply imbedded in the general public.
I don't believe this for a second. Look at Harlem for example, I feel the stigma there is still way worse among suburbanites. Talk to anyone that are not well educated on NYC and they will either get Bronx and BK confused , or will just say Bronx is like BK just not as cool. Now someone that is from NYC that MAY be a different story.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times
“The Yuppies Are Coming? How To Know When the Bronx is Being Gentrified” « Life In Motion

Old but a good read.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-04-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 AM

33 posts, read 57,600 times
My friend once asked me "What can I get in The Bronx for $12"
I relied "Mugged"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City