Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM

479 posts, read 1,443,350 times

Advertisements

Still relative cheap compare to the other boroughs closer to Manhattan. Why don't the middle class move there and buy now before the Yuppies and their expensive condos do. What if the economy picks up, Harlem gets totally gentrify very fast and then it starts to spill over into the South Bronx?? By then people will complain that the Bronx is too expensive for the Middle Class? What do you think. Why can't the Middle Class gentrify the South Bronx before the rich does? Harlem was basically abandon by the late 90's and then the Rich started to buy and move there. If you are not is some sort of governmental housing, rent control or living with multiple family members in some apartment, now is very expensive there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
There is an Historic district on 136 street between Brown place and Willis avenue, many of these homes are 19 century Brown stones and 3 of these houses are for sale, I think some of them cost more then half a million. OR check out the Alexander Avenue AKA the Irish 5th Avenue and buy a Brown Stone a couple are vacant and is for sale. Its right next to the police precint. South Bronx is not cheap no more, on my block on in mott haven there is a newly renovated tenement with RFID key scan key cards and the Mexican immigrants are having a hard time paying the rent, one mexican guy told me he has two jobs to make rent. IT wont be long for the Mexicans to abandon Mott Haven and find refuge in Morrisania, thats where they seem to dumb the BRonx poor now. South Bronx is still cheap to some extent but Mott Haven and Concourse is getting a little too expensive from a New Yankee Stadium to the new Willis Avenue Bridge which I watched them install things are coming up in the South Bronx and coming out of our pockets in the form of taxes from South BRonx residents. Goodluck with middle classing the South Bronx before the Hipsters do with Mott Haven or the Yuppies on Concourse.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,239 times
There are virtually very few havens for the middle class left in this city. Notice, I didn't say any, I said there were few.

And please don't mention "affordable" 500K-800K homes because those homes are too expensive for a middle class person. Many of the areas that are cheap/reasonable are really rundown with people who do not work, high rates of crime, poverty, drugs and all that goes with it.

It wouldn't be safe for a middle class person to live nor sleep through the night and get up in the morning because so many other people aren't working and they stay up all night partying. That isn't an ideal middle class existence.

NYC, all boroughs, is not a city for the middle class. It is a city for the rich, trust fund kids and anyone who's parents are wealthy enough to sacrifice a few hundred thousand to help out their "poor" middle class children.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
When it comes to New York, ya gotta downgrade. Shoot for the 2BR apartment, as opposed to a house when talking of affordability.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:27 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
I think the middle class moving back into The South Bronx (and other parts of The Bronx as well) has already started.
A number of younger teachers at my school who were renters in Brooklyn,Manhattan and Queens have bought houses or apartments in The South Bronx in the last 2 years.A couple of them were frantically looking during the recent tax credit for new homebuyers period and they all found places.
School teachers are about as middle class as it gets.These are all people who wouldn't have even considered The Bronx 5 or 10 years ago.
Where else in NYC can you buy anything if your income is 50,000 to 80,000 ?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,565,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Where else in NYC can you buy anything if your income is 50,000 to 80,000 ?
Well Queens or Staten Island for starters. The Bronx is an option too, plus the Staten Island commute sucks.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Well Queens or Staten Island for starters. The Bronx is an option too, plus the Staten Island commute sucks.
Really ? Where in Queens can you find a 2 br co op or condo for under $200,000 or a 2 family house for 400,000 or 450,000 ?
I guess they might exist but I couldn't find anything when I was looking and my fellow teachers have never had any luck either.
Things in these price ranges are common in The Bronx.... and in some pretty decent neighborhoods on subway lines too.
Anything much more expensive is not really affordable for middle class people who's incomes are below $100,000.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Really ? Where in Queens can you find a 2 br co op or condo for under $200,000 or a 2 family house for 400,000 or 450,000 ?
I guess they might exist but I couldn't find anything when I was looking and my fellow teachers have never had any luck either.
Things in these price ranges are common in The Bronx.... and in some pretty decent neighborhoods on subway lines too.
Anything much more expensive is not really affordable for middle class people who's incomes are below $100,000.
There are several 2br for under $200k in Queens on Craigslist. They are in decent neighborhoods too.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
There are several 2br for under $200k in Queens on Craigslist. They are in decent neighborhoods too.
Where are they ?
I only saw small 1br's in not great buildings for under 2.

I just checked craigslist and saw a 1 br in Jackson Heights for 179 but that was it.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times
Craiglist Queens Co-ops <$200K

As for the question about middle class buying in the South Bronx, I agree with another poster that the current lifestyle may not be suitable for someone with middle class values. One thing about other areas that gentrified is that many were relatively empty, torn down and rebuilt. In the case of SoBro, you're moving into an existing situation. If you have money to burn and just want to make an investment, that might not be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City