Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM

43 posts, read 127,565 times

Advertisements

I agree with the public school situation as well. I would never put my son in a south bronx public school but that's a city wide issue. I currently live in Harlem and my son went to a public school on the UWS but has been in a prestigious private school for the last 7 years. Back when I grew up in the south bronx (Yankee Stadium area) my mom sent us to public schools in midtown as well. For me, that's just a part of new york city life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I contend that the affordability makes the bad schools irrelevant. If a middle class family must remain in NYC for whatever reason, they will do better moving to a very affordable area like the South Bronx, because they can save enough money to send their kids to a good private/catholic school, which is what much of the people of any means do in this community.
I disagree. A family does not want to move to community such as the South Bronx. Most of the families I know are here because they can't afford anywhere else in NY. A middle-income family has options, why would they move to a ghetto? 28% of families in The Bronx live in poverty.
Thats nearly 1 in 3 families making next to nothing.
The highest concentration of poverty in The Bronx is in the southern portion.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
A middle-income family has options, why would they move to a ghetto?
For the same reasons white people are moving to Harlem it's affordable, the commute is convenient and the neighborhoods are being revitalized. Middle income people are moving to the South Bronx. It's happening.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
I agree. If there was no subsidized housing then The Bronx would be gentrified and revitalized. It has a good commute to Manhattan in some areas like Mott Haven or other areas in the South Bronx. It would likely be a desirable community.
100% true! Subsidized housing is KILLING the Bronx and preventing it from prospering! Mayor Bloomberg, President Diaz...are you listening? Can you guys PLEASE do something about this? We need your help!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinn421 View Post
For the same reasons white people are moving to Harlem it's affordable, the commute is convenient and the neighborhoods are being revitalized. Middle income people are moving to the South Bronx. It's happening.
Harlem is not littered with Housing Projects and low-income housing.
The Bronx has nearly 100 housing projects in small 42 square mile area.
The Bronx is basically the last holdout for the poor in NYC.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Harlem is not littered with Housing Projects and low-income housing.
The Bronx has nearly 100 housing projects in small 42 square mile area.
The Bronx is basically the last holdout for the poor in NYC.
Are you kidding?? Have you been to Harlem? You can't walk a 10 block radius without passing either a housing project, mitchell lama (some have already been converted to market rate buildings), shelter or welfare hotel and yet gentrification has still occurred. The same rules apply to the Bronx, invest the money and they will come.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Between the logistic relocation of the Crips, the Bloods and MS-13 from the bronx to Long Island, I'd be looking at that nice burned out building on Hoe Avenue.
They've put up a new fire barrel, the block has agreed to go back to switchblades rather than the 9mm automatic, they are still roasting pigs in the street, the
fire hydrants have no caps, the bait car never works that end of town and the cockroaches are pretty small as you head toward Jerome ave.

It was somewhere in the 60's when the Concourse lost it's way. Julio , Nestor and Ignacio found an apartment not far from Mt. Eden Ave and 172nd st. They also
found a neighborhood that needed a steady supply of nickle-packs of dirt-weed and a ready supply of handguns. Almost single handedly they changed the complexion
of the Bronx, offering their neighbors everything from their sisters to jumbo crack vials, they took this once glorious borough and turned it into a veritable cesspool of
drugs, prostitution and street crime.

I'm not sure if the population has moved to Carolina, Florida or back to Haiti but I can't help but feeling that there is a new variety of slumlord that sees the Bronx as
another "El Dorado", that golden subdivision in the sky, the concept that says with enough sheetrock and screwnails, you can turn old brick and sagging timber into gold but
it is for certain that they've figured and calculated every square foot of the place and will be getting a prime rate for any rental or purchase. This is the final frontier, whereas
we divide property much in the way we will be dividing food in a few years, those who can pay getting theirs, those who can't getting humped.

These redevelopment corporations that move in on communities that have become little more than pimples on the map, develop them to a point where some social climbing yuppy,
will jump at the chance to live "close-in" to the overtaxed, dirty and failed metropolis of NYC, to save carfare or to have a recognizable address, are fools. The only vacancies left
in the Bronx are those created by the smart people who beat the clock and now reside elsewhere. If happiness is nothing more than looking out the window and seeing a stunted
tree fighting to get past the sidewalk, a dead rat next to the garbage can or the business end of an automatic pistol, then I encourage you to challenge yourself to the Bronx experience.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
It was somewhere in the 60's when the Concourse lost it's way. Julio , Nestor and Ignacio found an apartment not far from Mt. Eden Ave and 172nd st. They also
found a neighborhood that needed a steady supply of nickle-packs of dirt-weed and a ready supply of handguns. Almost single handedly they changed the complexion
of the Bronx, offering their neighbors everything from their sisters to jumbo crack vials, they took this once glorious borough and turned it into a veritable cesspool of
drugs, prostitution and street crime.

I only agree with this paragraph as it pretty much sums up what happened to the Bronx when "minorities" moved in and invaded.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinn421 View Post
Are you kidding?? Have you been to Harlem? You can't walk a 10 block radius without passing either a housing project, mitchell lama (some have already been converted to market rate buildings), shelter or welfare hotel and yet gentrification has still occurred. The same rules apply to the Bronx, invest the money and they will come.
There are easily WAY more housing projects in the South Bronx, the majority of the housing is also subsidized meaning most of those residents aren't going anywhere. Harlem does have a few housing projects, but so does The Bronx, plus The Bronx is almost all low-income housing. The Bronx does not have a good housing stock of brownstones or other fashionable real estate, it mainly has tenement apartments built a while back, and it has some low-income homes and apartments that were built on vacant lots of land, the only desirable housing there are a few row-houses. Harlem has many brownstones which were cheap(not anymore) and good quality, thats why Harlem gentrified more quickly. The South Bronx has a different situation.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
There are easily WAY more housing projects in the South Bronx, the majority of the housing is also subsidized meaning most of those residents aren't going anywhere. Harlem does have a few housing projects, but so does The Bronx, plus The Bronx is almost all low-income housing. The Bronx does not have a good housing stock of brownstones or other fashionable real estate, it mainly has tenement apartments built a while back, and it has some low-income homes and apartments that were built on vacant lots of land, the only desirable housing there are a few row-houses. Harlem has many brownstones which were cheap(not anymore) and good quality, thats why Harlem gentrified more quickly. The South Bronx has a different situation.
I don't disagree that the Bronx has a lot of low income housing but the situations really aren't that different. A lot of the Harlem brownstones of which you speak were abandoned and have recently been purchased, renovated and sold for millions. And there's a new condo coming up in a vacant lot in Harlem every couple months. As more middle income residents continue to inhabit the South Bronx the quality of life will gradually increase. Gentrification hasn't made Harlem a safe neighborhood over night but it is getting better police presence is more evident in areas where it never was. I just ate dinner at a french bistro on the corner of 125th and Lenox. Such things were unheard of not long ago in Harlem but change is possible and occurring and the South Bronx is no different in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City