Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Really? It's naive to think that there is a difference between "middle class" and "yuppies". That somhow if only middle class moved in, it will keep prices at a "reasonable " level and protect the neighborhood from exploitation by Yuppies. They both fall from the same tree.
The only way to protect a neighborhood from Yuppie incursion is to maintain a healthy percentage of minority section 8s plus one or two fully rented NYCHA projects.
There is a big difference between a yuppie and a regular middle-class person.
For-example is public school teacher making a middle-income salary a yuppie?
Not by most peoples definition of a yuppie.
Is a person working on Wall Street a yuppie? By most peoples definition of a yuppie, they would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
The working and middle class people have been moving to the Southern Bronx for the past decade (2000s), and this has not stopped. In fact, the housing is still taking off, as they now have brand new 2 families for sale (with a small ground level commercial space) for $799,999! And yeah...they are selling. The new luxury condos from $399,999-$799,999 on 140th and 3rd avenue area....all sold except for 1 unit.

If this is what's happening in the South Bronx you can imagine what's happening in the rest of the city. That being said, there are still lots of opportunities in the Southern Bronx, and the middle class continues to move in...and it will be crystal clear when we get the new census data that will demonstrate the increase in the middle income population in the area. Throw in the billions of investment the city is committing to reposition the area coupled with significant development that will continue to dramatically change the community...and it's easy to see that the Southern Bronx continues to be the best bet for working/middle class housing on the border with Manhattan.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The working and middle class people have been moving to the Southern Bronx for the past decade (2000s), and this has not stopped. In fact, the housing is still taking off, as they now have brand new 2 families for sale (with a small ground level commercial space) for $799,999! And yeah...they are selling. The new luxury condos from $399,999-$799,999 on 140th and 3rd avenue area....all sold except for 1 unit.

If this is what's happening in the South Bronx you can imagine what's happening in the rest of the city. That being said, there are still lots of opportunities in the Southern Bronx, and the middle class continues to move in...and it will be crystal clear when we get the new census data that will demonstrate the increase in the middle income population in the area. Throw in the billions of investment the city is committing to reposition the area coupled with significant development that will continue to dramatically change the community...and it's easy to see that the Southern Bronx continues to be the best bet for working/middle class housing on the border with Manhattan.
I live in The South Bronx. I don't see too many middle class people, who are new to the area. I think there is to much low-income housing for it too take off.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Most of the middle/working class people who just moved to the area say the same thing. I take it you are new also. Why do they say that? Because 1-People equate working/middle class people with being white...which has nothing to do with being middle class. The Southern Bronx is being revitalized primarily and overwhelmingly by people of color....whom essentially look the same as all the lower income people in the area. You would not be able to tell the difference. 2-The area is still primarily a lower income area of color..so considering #1 above and even a 10% working/middle class population, you would not FEEL like there are any.

Did you know the Southern Bronx now has a Dog Run..it just opened last weekend in St. Mary's Park on the corner of St. Mary's Street and Cypress avenue. Do you know who in the community drove that change? It was the middle class residents that wanted a place to exercise their pets.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Most of the middle/working class people who just moved to the area say the same thing. I take it you are new also. Why do they say that? Because 1-People equate working/middle class people with being white...which has nothing to do with being middle class. The Southern Bronx is being revitalized primarily and overwhelmingly by people of color....whom essentially look the same as all the lower income people in the area. You would not be able to tell the difference. 2-The area is still primarily a lower income area of color..so considering #1 above and even a 10% working/middle class population, you would not FEEL like there are any.

Did you know the Southern Bronx now has a Dog Run..it just opened last weekend in St. Mary's Park on the corner of St. Mary's Street and Cypress avenue. Do you know who in the community drove that change? It was the middle class residents that wanted a place to exercise their pets.
I'm not that new to the area. I'm originally from Washington Heights, the rent got a little high, so I moved to The Bronx to save some money on rent. Anyways, The Bronx is getting better,like most places in NY, but still, its not a revitalized area. The South Bronx is full of low-income housing, way too much to do any substantial change in the demographics in residents.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM

I agree that due to the heavy amount of subsidized housing, if you are buying in believing in 10 years it will be a solid middle class population, you should save your money! The areas fate is sealed..however it is revitalizing and those people in the community, and the newbie working/middle class residents are making substantial changes. The irony is...it is all the low-income housing that maintains the area affordable...but if all that low-income housing didn't exist, the Southern Bronx, due to its immediate proximity to Manhattan, would be just another expensive community! Irony indeed!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I agree that due to the heavy amount of subsidized housing, if you are buying in believing in 10 years it will be a solid middle class population, you should save your money! The areas fate is sealed..however it is revitalizing and those people in the community, and the newbie working/middle class residents are making substantial changes. The irony is...it is all the low-income housing that maintains the area affordable...but if all that low-income housing didn't exist, the Southern Bronx, due to its immediate proximity to Manhattan, would be just another expensive community! Irony indeed!
I agree. If there was no subsidized housing then The Bronx would be gentrified and revitalized. It has a good commute to Manhattan in some areas like Mott Haven or other areas in the South Bronx. It would likely be a desirable community.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM

43 posts, read 127,581 times
Many middle/working class people are moving to the South Bronx. As they continue to add new developments such as the Northrose (which I hope to reside in very soon), they middle class will continue move in. The same applies for the co-ops/condos and rentals already built in that area as well as currently under construction. Revitalization takes time and the city is pouring millions of dollars into revitalizing the South Bronx. Everything is not for everyone but I would say if you want to get in while it's still affordable to the middle class do it soon...

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
like a previous poster said before, the prices are attractive but the current state of the public schools is what deters families.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM

That may be true 7th, but really what community in NYC has public schools that are stellar and has housing that is actually remotely affordable? If you are a middle class family seeking good public schools, in general NYC is not for you...and this is the primary reason families leave NYC...bad schools! So the public school reason seems moot to me...the education problem is all over the city.

I contend that the affordability makes the bad schools irrelevant. If a middle class family must remain in NYC for whatever reason, they will do better moving to a very affordable area like the South Bronx, because they can save enough money to send their kids to a good private/catholic school, which is what much of the people of any means do in this community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City