Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM

458 posts, read 616,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Enjoy chugging your sodas, I am sure they are good for you.
Don't know why this hasn't sunk in yet, but nobody is saying that soda's are good for you. I hope I don't have to spell all this out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Its a pointless ban since I can walk into ANY supermarket/convenient store and purchase 25 gallons of soda if I want and sit in front and drink it till I burst! This is just another way to impose fines and bring in money for the city. What good is limiting how much soda I can drink if I'm free to purchase a 3000 calorie meal along with that 16oz soda? . Let alone be free to purchase multiple 16oz sodas. This law wont pass. Its ridiculous!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its a pointless ban since I can walk into ANY supermarket/convenient store and purchase 25 gallons of soda if I want and sit in front and drink it till I burst! This is just another way to impose fines and bring in money for the city. What good is limiting how much soda I can drink if I'm free to purchase a 3000 calorie meal along with that 16oz soda? . Let alone be free to purchase multiple 16oz sodas. This law wont pass. Its ridiculous!!!
Herr Bloomhitler admitted the other day that [NY Governor] Cuomo "will probably veto" his proposal.

I say we all flood the governor's office with phone calls and emails. Ive actually been rather pleased with Cuomo so far, if he vetos this proposal that would seal the deal for this Republican and I will remember this on election day.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
At the end of the day, Bloomberg is trying to do the right thing. Kinda like when you were 10 and your "friends" were busy eating McDonalds every day, sucking down cokes, and snacking on fruit rollups, while your mom only allowed you to eat broccoli, lean chicken breasts, and snacking on plums and pears. And now you are grateful for it.

Bloomberg is no different...the society we have created is such that the government must now be your mom and provide for you needs. A good parent restricts you from eating lousy (soda!) and encourages you to eat healthy foods...but on occasion you can still have a soda. Bloomberg is doing the exact same thing..soda is not banned, but he is reducing the damage it is doing by restricting size.

So what is the big deal? What rights are being trampled exactly? As soon as you relieve the government of taking care of your needs when you get sick or are broke, the sooner you can have all those rights you think are lost. Fight for your right to drink a 400 oz soda....but don't forget to fight for your right to pay for your own health problems! You are free to drink 400 oz and free to die in the streets when you have no insurance to pay for your heartattack at the age of 45 (or when they drop you cuz you can no longer afford the premium). Don't look to government remember! Freedom!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Well, as a parent, I don't need Mayor Bloomberg to tell me not to allow my boys too much sugar, I am well aware of that. I know how to parent.

Maybe he should have parenting lessons on how to be a better parent, instead of banning everything.

While I think it is "noble" that he really cares about the health of our children, I really wish he would focus more on the sanitation dept, and the cleanliness of our City, because it is disgusting, as everything I see in all the boroughs is litter everywhere.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
At the end of the day, Bloomberg is trying to do the right thing. Kinda like when you were 10 and your "friends" were busy eating McDonalds every day, sucking down cokes, and snacking on fruit rollups, while your mom only allowed you to eat broccoli, lean chicken breasts, and snacking on plums and pears. And now you are grateful for it.

Bloomberg is no different...the society we have created is such that the government must now be your mom and provide for you needs. A good parent restricts you from eating lousy (soda!) and encourages you to eat healthy foods...but on occasion you can still have a soda. Bloomberg is doing the exact same thing..soda is not banned, but he is reducing the damage it is doing by restricting size.

So what is the big deal? What rights are being trampled exactly? As soon as you relieve the government of taking care of your needs when you get sick or are broke, the sooner you can have all those rights you think are lost. Fight for your right to drink a 400 oz soda....but don't forget to fight for your right to pay for your own health problems! You are free to drink 400 oz and free to die in the streets when you have no insurance to pay for your heartattack at the age of 45 (or when they drop you cuz you can no longer afford the premium). Don't look to government remember! Freedom!
What about all the soda you can buy at supermarkets and convenience stores? As stated in my last post, this is just another avenue to try and bring in revenue for the city. He's so concerned about our health yet this proposed ban wont even scratch the surface of our country's health problem.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Good point from nightcrawler. Bloomberg should concern himself with running the city and not micro-managing people's personal lives.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
So I read that excessive consumption of sugary drinks contribute to almost 50% of all cases of obesity in NYC.
Targeting sugary drinks is the right move. But the approach taken is not.

If the mayor wanted to reduce the consumption of such drinks, wouldn't an added tax on such beverages be more effective than a ban based on size?
A tax would deter -not restrict- consumption, and revenues from those taxes could be used for informational campaigns on the importance of a healthy diet.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
There is no doubt it is not just a deterrent but also a revenue generator BECAUSE WE HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYONE'S HEALTHCARE NOW ALSO. People live in a fictional world where you pay low taxes but demand the government take care of everything. And you can shout "freedom" and "nanny state" and "Bloombucks" or whatever catchy line deflects from the actual problem: Government is required to take care of you.

As soon as you relieve government of taking care of you, the sooner you can be free to do whatever you want. However I highly doubt we want to turn into India.

Is this plan perfect? NO. Is he trying to do the right thing? YES. Does he understand we have to pay for all the services and safety nets people demand and expect? YES. How do you recommend he do that? Magic? Maybe there are other avenues, or this can be tweaked, but he is doing the right thing.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

Bloombum is not my goddamn mother. He's not any of our mothers. We're adults. Do you really not understand this?

Quote:

One of the most interesting things about you is that after one of your off limit nights or weekend internet bans, you waltz back into threads and continue to type the same paragraphs that have been refuted numerous times. I sometimes wonder if you're a computer program created under PlaNYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City