Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 21,647 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 y/o white female, and I just recently moved to NYC, and I'm looking at an apartment at 38 Rockaway Ave. I've heard the area is really unsafe, and I shouldn't live there without a gun and a boyfriend.
But then I hear that's it's fine, and it's an upcoming area. I'm reaching out to someone who has lived in the area for a while, and knows about the culture.
I just want to feel safe walking to my apartment at night. The space is beautiful, and I would love to take it. Please let me know ASAP!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 73,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfallingstarsxo View Post
I'm a 22 y/o white female, and I just recently moved to NYC, and I'm looking at an apartment at 38 Rockaway Ave. I've heard the area is really unsafe, and I shouldn't live there without a gun and a boyfriend.
But then I hear that's it's fine, and it's an upcoming area. I'm reaching out to someone who has lived in the area for a while, and knows about the culture.
I just want to feel safe walking to my apartment at night. The space is beautiful, and I would love to take it. Please let me know ASAP!!
Thanks

Not the greatest area. This is near the "Broadway Junction" where the Jackie Robinson parkway is located.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,006 times
there are better parts of bed-stuy the further west you go. That area is bad, the rule is the closer to Brownsville and Broadway Junction you get, the worse it gets. If you're not familiar with Brooklyn, use Broadway junction in the manner I just described.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Depends on your level of street smarts.

I've lived in the NY metro area my whole life, including a stint in Bushwick when I was your age (I'm 30 now), and I would not move to that area.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:44 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfallingstarsxo View Post
Thanks
Just for future reference, up and coming area usually means hood/ghetto/poverty by and large. Better to look for an area thats already up, even if it means having less money to hang out with.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 21,647 times
Thanks so much! Sucks cuz it was a nice apartment

Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
there's a very nice liquor store at the corner of rockaway and bainbridge, winos included.

its a crap area, dont move there.

but out of curiousity, what size was the apt (1 bdrm/2 bdrm) and how much were they asking?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM

157 posts, read 394,875 times
Lol, honestly just google map the address and you are confronted with an abandoned building with a piece on it that says R.I.P. CACHO.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Lol, honestly just google map the address and you are confronted with an abandoned building with a piece on it that says R.I.P. CACHO.
wow, OP just google map street view that address and that should answer your question in detail...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 17,931 times
my daughter just moved to NY and she and her friends just found an apartment located on Hart Street, zip is 11206. based on comments in this forum, it looks like the 3rd Street here in san francisco. can someone tell me more about this neighborhood please? i checked the google map and it looks like it a nice neighborhood but maybe the camera was just selective when it took the pictures?

thanks much.

mother2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City