Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This insistence on turning a thread about 16oz soft drinks into a debate on abortion is mystifying, at the very least.
I was thinking the same. Talk about a leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

This cancer has spread to Los Angeles

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This cancer has spread to Los Angeles
Don't worry, it won't happen in Ohio....

Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 60,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
People do need to make correct choices on their own and not by government twisting their hands. HOWEVER, because the government (aka tax payers) is ultimately responsible for your health and supporting you forever when you make all the wrong decisions and get sick, the government must take action. And that is precisely what is being done. So what's the problem?

A person drinking a 16 oz soda does not only affect the drinker, nor does a person not wearing a helmet when riding a bike or a seat belt when driving. How? Because the government (aka taxpayers) will be paying for those poor choices for the rest of their life, health care bills, food, housing, etc because they are unable to do so.

GET IT YET? As soon as the government (taxpayers) is relieved of the responsibility of taking care of your diabetes, heartattack, high blood pressure, and subsequent "disability" because you cannot work from poor health, and then must also receive free housing, food, and other handouts.....then the government will allow you to do whatever it is you want. Until that time...YOU ARE NOT FREE when everyone else inevitably supports you. GET IT NOW?

Sign a release from such handouts and services because of your "freedom" to drink 30 ounces of corn oil a day, and nobody will care. THAT IS FREEDOM...you can't have it both ways. Which is it?
I hate soft drinks for the most part but do we really need more bans. I do think that a smoking ban is good because second-hand smoke does adversely others directly. Eating crap from McDonalds and buying super large soft drinks doesn't directly affect others. This is especially true when one considers that there are many other factors that negatively impact ones health such as living in NY.

I love NY but the state in which I live (Louisiana) is a hell hole health-wise too.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitor98 View Post
I do think that a smoking ban is good because second-hand smoke does adversely others directly. Eating .
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himsef"

The quality of freedom should not depend upon whether we like what is being freely allowed or not. These smoking bans were just the start of the entire "ban wagon" and are just as intrusive, hypocritical, and encroaching as any other ban, and should be stopped and repealed. Don't want to be exposed to the potential dangers of second hand smoke? The solution is a simple one..... stay out of the private property diners and other places that allow it where the public happens to be invited in. Let free market drive the economy, not restrictive legislation.

For a more detailed, complex, and in-depth discussion on why smoking bans are wrong, please visit my blog and read a conversation that took place between myself and another poster here:

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...ation-its.html

Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
For a more detailed, complex, and in-depth discussion on why smoking bans are wrong, please visit my blog and read a conversation that took place between myself and another poster here:

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...ation-its.html

Good stuff Snapper. That other guy came from a place of nothing but emotion and it showed. I enjoyed that. And this coming from a guy who hasn't touched a stogie in years. Was that originally from the Politics and Other Controversies forum?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Good stuff Snapper. That other guy came from a place of nothing but emotion and it showed. I enjoyed that.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you took some time to read it.

Quote:
And this coming from a guy who hasn't touched a stogie in years.
I smoke cigarettes, but would like to quit, mainly because of the cost but also for health reasons. If and when I succeed, it won't change my view on the subject a bit.

Quote:
Was that originally from the Politics and Other Controversies forum?
That's where it started, yes. The thread was closed and the poster and I continued the discussion through direct message, thats the part I posted in my blog. The other guy has since been banned.....

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM

455 posts, read 652,063 times
So have they pass the law yet? Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City