Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I've got a question for you--well, maybe more than one: do you really think it's the government's job to make us healthier if we aren't doing it on our own? If that was the case, why aren't there laws banning the manufacture (and sale) of unhealthful products in the first place? Don't put the burden on the people; put it on the producers!

This isn't very different from saying that you shouldn't drive a gas-guzzling car. If gas-guzzling cars are so terrible, why are they permitted to be manufactured in the first place?

You can wrap it all in high-minded language, but at least here in NYC the real problem is that our Mayor just likes telling people what to do.
Actually I would love to see that happen, we as a country should be forcing producers to meet our standards whether it be nutrition or gas consumption....problem is that those issues hit the big government road block, and I don't mean in the big government sense, I mean in the sense that they don't want to upset the ones funding their campaigns....which brings up a whole other can of worms on the people should be allowed to regulate where our politicians get their campaign money. I doubt any of this will be fixed in our lifetime or with this form of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
on the morning show, they were talking about also banning the largest popcorn size.

why doesnt the mayor just kill us all and end it.

oh Lordy...all they have to do is ban that disgusting yellow sludge that they pour ON the popcorn. The popcorn ITSELF is not fattening. A serving of popcorn is 3 cups, which is a pretty decent serving and a healthy one providing it doesn't have that gunk on it. Seriously, last time I checked what "freedom" meant, I thought it was being free to make a choice or action without constraint. And people have to deal until next year with Bloomie? Oy...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
oh Lordy...all they have to do is ban that disgusting yellow sludge that they pour ON the popcorn. The popcorn ITSELF is not fattening. A serving of popcorn is 3 cups, which is a pretty decent serving and a healthy one providing it doesn't have that gunk on it. Seriously, last time I checked what "freedom" meant, I thought it was being free to make a choice or action without constraint. And people have to deal until next year with Bloomie? Oy...
I agree with that, I never put that crap on my popcorn cause I don't want to worry about if the movie will end before that sludge needs to shoot out of me.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
I can't believe that 10's of thousands of guys died on the beaches of Normandy so government can tell us what size soda pop we can drink, whether private businesses can allow smoking on private property, regulate salt, etc.

For those who are OK with such bans...just wait until they go after something important to you. And trust me, they will. They start by attacking smoking, private property, then go after your food, your lifestyle, and other aspects of life from which you derive pleasure, until we have a restrictive nanny state where everyone may be a bit safer but certainly more mediocre. I'll take freedom over security any day, thank you.

Any argument for such bans just underscores why the government must never be in the business of providing health care. Just stick to building roads; I'll choose my own healthcare privately as individual, and in doing so I will not burden my neighbors as a result of any poor lifestyle choices.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ we long had our choice on healthcare
but it bankrupted the system, so you
know who pays that bill.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
ATX...I understand that you personally may be able to take care of your own healthcare. What about those who cannot? Should we just have the government just take care of roads, and those who can't afford healthcare simply die in the streets? We are perfectly capable of returning to a third world condition, where people die in the streets, have millions who can't afford shelter simply living in the streets, tens of millions of illiterates because government doesn't provide education, and massive plagues because tens of millions don't get innoculations.

It's not the government's job right! Indeed...so if you want to live like India..we can do that. Something tells me you don't. And that's the difference between the idealized rhetoric you spew, and the actual reality of life.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I can't believe that 10's of thousands of guys died on the beaches of Normandy so government can tell us what size soda pop we can drink, whether private businesses can allow smoking on private property, regulate salt, etc.

For those who are OK with such bans...just wait until they go after something important to you. And trust me, they will. They start by attacking smoking, private property, then go after your food, your lifestyle, and other aspects of life from which you derive pleasure, until we have a restrictive nanny state where everyone may be a bit safer but certainly more mediocre. I'll take freedom over security any day, thank you.

Any argument for such bans just underscores why the government must never be in the business of providing health care. Just stick to building roads; I'll choose my own healthcare privately as individual, and in doing so I will not burden my neighbors as a result of any poor lifestyle choices.
You know our government is for the people, by the people? Maybe the majority of people want these things for our country...because that is what having a people's government is all about....unless you think government is just some big bad evil organization...

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This ban is not meant to solve every problem with obesity, nor is it meant to solve every eating behavior. It is a STEP towards making us healthier, much like the STEP of expanding bike lanes, much like the STEP of eliminating transfats, much like the STEP of reducing sodium, much like the STEP of eliminating smoking as much as possible, much like the STEP of planting 1 million trees, and on and on and on.

None of these by themselves do anything, but each STEP, and in conjunction with other initiatives DOES make a difference. Why is this so hard for anyone to understand? They are so busy harping on one thing, and they are missing the bigger picture.

I doubt most people can put all the pieces together to understand the larger picture, but the reality is these are all working together to help us be healthier. THAT IS IT. Why would anyone fight this?
Isn't that how dictatorships take over as well. STEP by STEP? They start at one place and then hyper regulate until the citizens don't have rights. It may seem trivial to fight over this, but it's the start of government overreach that keeps moving forward each day. We as a society seem to think that the government knows best in how to do everything. When are they right?

Let's just say, if you find yourself agreeing with the government, something is very very wrong.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Isn't that how dictatorships take over as well. STEP by STEP? They start at one place and then hyper regulate until the citizens don't have rights. It may seem trivial to fight over this, but it's the start of government overreach that keeps moving forward each day. We as a society seem to think that the government knows best in how to do everything. When are they right?

Let's just say, if you find yourself agreeing with the government, something is very very wrong.
You are right, remember the Patriot Act? Bush was great with the step by step to dictatorship. Freedom meant giving up freedom for security to make us feel safe....you forget democracy is a balance, go to far in either direction and we can begin to lose that balance which is freedom.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

455 posts, read 651,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post

We have the illusion of freedom. We don't have any real freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City