Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I thought you were done, name me one thing that this ban infringes on?? Does it stop you from drinking soda? No. Does it stop you from drinking as much soda as you want? No. Does it cost you more if you want to drink more soda beyond a 16z cup? Yes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anyone out there with half a brain cell that would like to discuss the issue and how it DOES matter in the big picture view of things, please chime in. Otherwise, I will only be monitoring this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
If I want an abortion (and was female) I can do it myself, if I love another man we can just declare ourselves married because I don't find the approval of the government important. But buying 2 medium cups of soda hits me where it hurts in the wallet.
Um, I think that's what it's supposed to do.

But isn't it possible that Bloomberg started this whole thing as a way to engender debate (for instance, this thread is already 53 pages, and some people are getting up at 4 am to post...)? Similar to the French govt. banning hijabs?

It asks the question -- how much is really enough? How far is too far in a civil society? And another question -- are people capable of stopping themselves? Is extremism something that should be policed, in beliefs and diets? What about in other forms of gluttony, for example excessive profiteering? Why can't Wall Street salaries (produced in NY) be capped in the same way, as a form of overindulgence? Why is drinking too much soda worse than drinking too much anything else? Can you still buy mini-kegs in bars? What about tequila shots and other drinking games? What about those eating contests, where they plow through food? What about all-you-can-eat buffets?

Are we so inarticulate that we can't argue this from the point of what it represents -- a huge hypocrisy, and not just a way to "protect health"?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,650 times
Quote:
Ah yes, just like when oh masturbate, a woman has her period, and miscarriages, must all be murder too. The government wouldn't be allowed to tell us how to govern our own bodies and I have confidence in women that they are able to make that difficult decision without having old white men telling her what to do. That is a real issue, cup sizes for sodas isn't.
What I love is that doctors won't just remove an arm or a leg without some type of medical issue and as a last resort, but they are willing to destroy a life. If someone kills a woman with her unborn baby, he is charged with 2 counts of murder. If a woman kills an unborn baby, that's her making a "choice". Murder is murder. We have gotten to the point where we have sugarcoated it to make people that have made poor decisions feel better.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
What I love is that doctors won't just remove an arm or a leg without some type of medical issue and as a last resort, but they are willing to destroy a life. If someone kills a woman with her unborn baby, he is charged with 2 counts of murder. If a woman kills an unborn baby, that's her making a "choice". Murder is murder. We have gotten to the point where we have sugarcoated it to make people that have made poor decisions feel better.
Well unless you have the ability to push a child out of you, then you shouldn't be allowed to make that choice. No woman should be forced to have a child...I am not talking late term abortions, I am talking when it is a cluster of cells. Nothing is sugar coated because it is a choice a woman has to live with her entire life. We are am evolved enough race to make our own choice if we are ready to raise a child, besides who is going to take care is that child if the mother is unable? Everyone wants every life to be born, but the bastard is on its own once it's here cause it is every man for himself.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM

[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;24807074]
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anyone out there with half a brain cell that would like to discuss the issue and how it DOES matter in the big picture view of things, please chime in. Otherwise, I will only be monitoring this thread.
Ah yes because cup sizes is somehow infringing on your freedoms...so what if you have a 64oz container and just buy four 16oz sodas and pour then into the container, you get to drink as much as you want, and the soda company is happy cause you spent four times the amount on soda! It is a win for everyone!! You can whine all you want, but no one is saying you can't drink soda....

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well unless you have the ability to push a child out of you, then you shouldn't be allowed to make that choice. No woman should be forced to have a child...I am not talking late term abortions, I am talking when it is a cluster of cells. Nothing is sugar coated because it is a choice a woman has to live with her entire life. We are am evolved enough race to make our own choice if we are ready to raise a child, besides who is going to take care is that child if the mother is unable? Everyone wants every life to be born, but the bastard is on its own once it's here cause it is every man for himself.
Oh wait, I didn't know that I have to pay for others mistakes. And that as a society we aren't responsible enough to accept that when you have sex, you take on everything that comes with it.

At 4 weeks the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart, and other organs begin to form. At 8 weeks the baby will likely begin developing webbed fingers and toes. The baby's gonads will become either testes or ovaries.

When do most girls determine they wish to have an abortion? 88% are up to 12 weeks. The baby is about 2.5 inches long and weighs approximately 0.3 to 0.5 ounces. The baby's brain continues to develop, and tiny fingernails and toenails start to form. Vocal cords are formed this week.

The point is, most girls don't know until they are around at LEAST a month or 2 when they miss periods. At that point, they are NOT just some cluster of cells. They have a forming brain and organs.

This is not about telling a woman what to do, it's about the process of murdering an innocent life because you are irresponsible. And the fact that guys don't even have a chance to appeal this proccedure is even worse.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Oh wait, I didn't know that I have to pay for others mistakes. And that as a society we aren't responsible enough to accept that when you have sex, you take on everything that comes with it.

At 4 weeks the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart, and other organs begin to form. At 8 weeks the baby will likely begin developing webbed fingers and toes. The baby's gonads will become either testes or ovaries.

When do most girls determine they wish to have an abortion? 88% are up to 12 weeks. The baby is about 2.5 inches long and weighs approximately 0.3 to 0.5 ounces. The baby's brain continues to develop, and tiny fingernails and toenails start to form. Vocal cords are formed this week.

The point is, most girls don't know until they are around at LEAST a month or 2 when they miss periods. At that point, they are NOT just some cluster of cells. They have a forming brain and organs.

This is not about telling a woman what to do, it's about the process of murdering an innocent life because you are irresponsible. And the fact that guys don't even have a chance to appeal this proccedure is even worse.
Grow a uterus then maybe I will listen to you....but then again, maybe not. People die everyday...it is just a part of life, if someone is not ready to raise a child then I do not want that child being in an over populated world. Sorry guy, I will disagree with you on this topic for ever because women deserve to have control over their own body, not let a man make the decisions for them.

Don't want to knock a girl up or have her get one aborted, then don't have sex or use plenty of protection. This choice goes both ways, but in the end it is the woman's choice because it is her body that is the host to the fetus.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Grow a uterus then maybe I will listen to you....but then again, maybe not. People die everyday...it is just a part of life, if someone is not ready to raise a child then I do not want that child being in an over populated world. Sorry guy, I will disagree with you on this topic for ever because women deserve to have control over their own body, not let a man make the decisions for them.

Don't want to knock a girl up or have her get one aborted, then don't have sex or use plenty of protection. This choice goes both ways, but in the end it is the woman's choice because it is her body that is the host to the fetus.
Incorrect. There are plenty of girls outraged at the murder of babies. What's funny is that you state it was just cells. When I provide proof that details otherwise, you avoid and say I'm not a girl so I don't understand. What does that even matter? If it is shown that it's life, then it's the same as killing a baby out of the womb. But it's her baby right? She can do whatever she wants, right?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. There are plenty of girls outraged at the murder of babies. What's funny is that you state it was just cells. When I provide proof that details otherwise, you avoid and say I'm not a girl so I don't understand. What does that even matter? If it is shown that it's life, then it's the same as killing a baby out of the womb. But it's her baby right? She can do whatever she wants, right?
Because a woman is the host, plain and simple, it is her choice to have a baby or not, no one should force a woman to have a child...no government, no other person than the woman that has a baby in her should making that final decision....you don't want girls to have an abortion, don't have sex.

We need to change the way we see women in this country, right now men just treat them as objects that have babies...case in point. You are trying to say a woman who gets pregnant shouldn't have the right to decide what happens with her own body.

No one is saying abortions are easy, it might be the toughest choices for a woman to make and there is no correct answer, women don't need the government governing their vaginas....do you want the government governing your penis?

But it is clear we are getting way off topic now....I am sure you are very passionate that women shouldn't decide what happens to their own body, but you are not going to change my opinion on this, this one is concrete....so I suggest you stop trying.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
This insistence on turning a thread about 16oz soft drinks into a debate on abortion is mystifying, at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City