Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I see some are dusting off the anti gun strawman.
It doesn't justify bad behavior at all, but I think its a good point and certainly not a strawman. On the political spectrum, one would expect people in more self-reliant areas to be anti-police, when in fact, the opposite tends to be true. In places where the people are almost totally dependent on the police for their personal protection, the police are held in a much more negative light. I've never considered that point and plan on looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Another big factor IMO is that a lot of these cops don't come from the city. Many never even bother to live here a few years. Then we wonder why they treat everyone like a perp.
This I totally agree with. There used to be residency points applied to the entrance exams for city jobs. I don't believe that exists anymore. I have no problem with city workers choosing to move outside the city as they progress in their careers, but the police especially should either be from the City or at least have to live here for some of their career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
It's not a strawman. Like Airborneguy said, you would assume people that are reliant upon themselves to be annoyed by the police. Maybe the police are a little more tentative since they know the citizens are armed and have the ability to defend themselves?

I'm not saying it as some way to create this big off topic, but it's really worth a look. I hear so much about how all cops are pigs and they don't protect the people. The stories of police officers saving lives and stopping criminals doesn't really make the news. It's not as interesting as the cop who houses a Supreme Court Judge in plain clothes. People love to be outraged and get worked up. The media knows this as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
The stories of police officers saving lives and stopping criminals doesn't really make the news. It's not as interesting as the cop who houses a Supreme Court Judge in plain clothes. People love to be outraged and get worked up. The media knows this as well.

Shhhhhhhh, please don't bring up such notions. It goes directly against the anti-everything cop sentiment that this forum consistently circle jerks around. Thank you for understanding...

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
There's no contradiction between being pro-gun control and anti-cop abuse. I don't see how people come up with such a connections.
I personally have called the police twice in my entire life. Never to defend me or to protect me from anybody but instead just to get some paperwork from them.
The first time, I needed a police report on a bulglary, the cops basically laughed it off, and tried to convince me the that there was no point in filing a report.

The second time I had to wait almost 2hrs (and the precinct being only 10 blocks away) in the bitter cold just to get a collision report.

In all honesty, I know that my views might be slightly biased, but it's mainly because I've never met a nice, friendly, courteous NYC cop, and had only interactions with douches.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
In all honesty, I know that my views might be slightly biased, but it's mainly because I've never met a nice, friendly, courteous NYC cop, and had only interactions with douches.

I guess this is fair actually. I myself have never once met a hipster in this city or anywhere who isn't a smug, self-righteous, holier than thou douche who couldn't fend off a 7th grader with their laughable spaghetti arms...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I guess this is fair actually. I myself have never once met a hipster in this city or anywhere who isn't a smug, self-righteous, holier than thou douche who couldn't fend off a 7th grader with their laughable spaghetti arms...
This guy loves to make things personal. ad-hominem is all he can do...
But If you're implying that I'm a hipster from my posts, then I guess that you makes a brainless tard who basically posts one-liners, silly pictures and sucks up to other posters when you can't make your own arguments.
SoBro with all his flaws (we all have them anyway) at least can put together a thoughtful argument in more than one paragraph. Sadly we can't say the same for you.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
This guy loves to make things personal. ad-hominem is all he can do...
But If you're implying that I'm a hipster from my posts, then I guess that you makes a brainless tard who basically posts one-liners, silly pictures and sucks up to other posters when you can't make your own arguments.
SoBro with all his flaws (we all have them anyway) at least can put together a thoughtful argument in more than one paragraph. Sadly we can't say the same for you.
Holy sh1t you overly defensive little idiot. I was not referring to you. I was making a generalization, as you just did. It legitimately had nothing to do with you. Although you getting so defensive does say something I guess. But seriously, take a few breathes, let the color in your face return to normal, and realize that I was not attacking you.

And I'm happy to see that you enjoy the occasional pic or gif. However I've had many a lengthy debate on this site with people before. Good job with "making things personal" though.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Holy sh1t you overly defensive little idiot. I was not referring to you. I was making a generalization, as you just did. Although you getting so defensive does say something I guess. But seriously, take a few breathes, let the color in your face return to normal, and realize that I was not attacking you.

And I'm happy to see that you enjoy the occasional pic or gif. However I've had many a lengthy debate on this site with people before. Good job with "making things personal" though.

First off, I was giving my personal experience with cops, as the subject of this thread is about cops.
You're a complete unwitty tard for bringing up an entirely unrelated subject as a personal attack.
But I guess that's expected of you from your previous posts.

I guess, now you go back to posting one-liners and childish pictures lil man.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
First off, I was giving my personal experience with cops, as the subject of this thread is about cops.
You're a complete unwitty tard for bringing up an entirely unrelated subject as a personal attack.
But I guess that's expected of you from your previous posts.

I guess, now you go back to posting one-liners and childish pictures lil man.
Lol at "lil man". You're adorable. Me giving you my personal experiences with hipsters was brought up to actually agree with what might make you feel like that about cops. Reinforcing it if you will. However you evidently immediately turned into the epic mouth breather that you seem to be and got incredibly defensive. Take it a little easier in the future fella. Nobody was attacking you.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
There's no contradiction between being pro-gun control and anti-cop abuse. I don't see how people come up with such a connections.
I personally have called the police twice in my entire life. Never to defend me or to protect me from anybody but instead just to get some paperwork from them.
The first time, I needed a police report on a bulglary, the cops basically laughed it off, and tried to convince me the that there was no point in filing a report.

The second time I had to wait almost 2hrs (and the precinct being only 10 blocks away) in the bitter cold just to get a collision report.

Who has the weaker argument now? You and your two anecdotes that you use to label 32,000 people, or those of us who are willing to temper our emotions and judge based on facts?

Again, we're not talkin pro-gun and anti-police abuse. We're talking pro-self reliance and anti-police. You have people on this forum who insist that ALL police are criminals (nyyblr for example) without exception. That attitude is worth studying considering it comes from a populace that is extremely reliant on its police force for personal safety.

We live in an area where crime is commonplace, but generally hate the police. People is towns where crime is almost non-existent respect the police and hold them in high regards generally. Why is that? It's certainly an interesting point, at least to those who don't guide thier beliefs purely on emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City