Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

Everyone's favorite organic food super store could be planting roots Uptown. Blog Living Maxwell reports that Whole Foods co-CEO John Mackey spilled the beans yesterday during a talk at the supermarket's Tribeca location. Apparently, he came right out and said, "We are going to be opening up in Harlem," but then quickly back pedaled, saying "I shouldn't have said that." DNAinfo followed up with a spokesperson who confirmed the chain is "exploring the area" but nothing has been finalized.
As we've learned from Whole Foods' previous attempts/decisions to expand to gentrifying neighborhoods, there is bound to be drama. Will Harlem residents long for the Harlem of yore, lamenting the new store like some aging Williamsburg hipsters? Or will it be a long and drawn-out eight year saga like in Gowanus? We'll just have to wait and see.

Rumor is that WF wants to be the anchor tenant at the empty lot on 125th and Lenox.

Next Stop for Whole Foods: Harlem?! - Rumormongering - Curbed NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
That would be good, and a growing sign that the middle class in Harlem (of all colors) is not only growing, but expected to stay for a while. As many people of color as I see in the WF on Columbus and 99th, I'm sure there's a market in Harlem for WF.

JUSt FYI, Burlington Coat House is going into the same building, which will extend the core of the 125th shopping are over to Lenox Ave now. I think that's great for the neighborhood and nice uptowners who don't want to schlepp downtown all the time for the stuff the rest of the folks in Manhattan take for granted.

Jeff Sutton | Lenox Avenue Harlem Retail | Burlington Coat

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
This would be a huge deal for Harlem (and the Southern Bronx really). It would be great to have a whole foods here. There is already the Fairway on 125th under the West Side Hwy, but it just kinda far flung and not conducive to shopping there. The whole foods in the middle of Harlem would do well IMO and draw from a very wide area, including the heights and entire Bronx.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This would be a huge deal for Harlem (and the Southern Bronx really). It would be great to have a whole foods here. There is already the Fairway on 125th under the West Side Hwy, but it just kinda far flung and not conducive to shopping there. The whole foods in the middle of Harlem would do well IMO and draw from a very wide area, including the heights and entire Bronx.
While I think this type of development is great, I have to say Whole Foods is generally very expensive. I live a block away from a Whole Foods but never buy meat there. A T-bone steak at my local, normal grocery store is $8.00 but at Whole Foods it is around $18 for the same weight.

I like the fruits and veggies though. They also have a decent hot food bar.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I like the fruits and veggies though. They also have a decent hot food bar.

This is my thoughts on whole foods exactly. The produce really can't be beat and the hot bar is the t1ts. Still very expensive though. Generally, only wealthy mf's shop there on the regular.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM

208 posts, read 464,316 times
Actually if you only buy what's on sale a whole foods the prices are great and are then much cheaper then some of the other not great grocery stores and much better quality.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Actually I prefer buying meats, vegetables, and produce from Whole Foods, while I will buy the canned, boxed stuff at local places. I am willing to pay more for higher end perishable items and meats, specialty items, etc. Sure it is more, but I am not buying for 10...nor do I eat all that much. I am more about quality than quantity..so I look forward to the whole foods.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I expect a very smooth transition. The demand is there. This has been long in the making.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
When I was in the food business years ago, the execs at noted Manhattan supermarkets use to joke about how they ripped off the local yokels with higher prices with the excuse that they paid higher rent. They knew they had a captive audience and basically bent them over.

Whole Foods has taken that to an entirely different level with no excuse...just the BS that their string beans were grown with real Bovine Scatology.

and New Yorkers think they are so smart.....bend over pretentious NYers...and get your WHOLE food.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM

We will..and whole foods even provides the lube for us.....organic too! And you can enjoy C-Town and Fine Fare! Once you cut off the brown parts of the meat, or shave off the mold from the peaches, it won't make you that sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City