Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM

34 posts, read 90,200 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a job in Dobbs Ferry in mid-June, and wonder where in the city I could live where I could commute in without too much trouble, and that is relatively affordable (ie, a smallish 1 BR apartment for under $1800K). Another priority is being able to get into Manhattan for socializing, shop, sports, etc.

I'm a single, white, male, professional (white collar) in my early 30s who is both a city person and outdoor fanatic (snowboarding, rock climbing, surfing, etc) and looking for something that allows me to be both when I need to be.

From my research, Inwood/Wash Heights looks like a great place for all this.

Thoughts from people who live or have lived there?

How much is parking typically (I'm seeing around $200/month)?

It seems like west of Broadway is the best place to live, true?

How is traffic going north in the morning on I-87 or Saw mill?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
I am actually in the same boat as you and considering a move to Inwood. I actually took about an hour last night to drive through (west side) and check out the place and it seemed like a nice neighborhood to move to.

Few of areas that stood out to me were:
--160's (near columbia hospital)
--181st Street & Wadsworth Avenue
--200's (Sherman/Nagle/Dyckman Streets)

I drove through around midnight and there were many people out walking pets and socializing. There seemed to also be a lot of markets/restaurants open and I saw several buses and subways stops along the way. Overall, seemed reasonably safe.

I had the chance to speak to several professionals that live in the area and they seem to enjoy living there. I think the positives are that it is a bit cheaper than living in other parts of manhattan and the A & 1 train provide good transport if you want to get downtown. I did notice that there was very little street parking available (tons of cars already parked) so a garage would definitely be a good thing to have. Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I am actually in the same boat as you and considering a move to Inwood. I actually took about an hour last night to drive through (west side) and check out the place and it seemed like a nice neighborhood to move to.

Few of areas that stood out to me were:
--160's (near columbia hospital)
--181st Street & Wadsworth Avenue
--200's (Sherman/Nagle/Dyckman Streets)

I drove through around midnight and there were many people out walking pets and socializing. There seemed to also be a lot of markets/restaurants open and I saw several buses and subways stops along the way. Overall, seemed reasonably safe.

I had the chance to speak to several professionals that live in the area and they seem to enjoy living there. I think the positives are that it is a bit cheaper than living in other parts of manhattan and the A & 1 train provide good transport if you want to get downtown. I did notice that there was very little street parking available (tons of cars already parked) so a garage would definitely be a good thing to have. Hope this helps!

I would not recommend living anywhere off of Wadsworth Ave at all. At 181st st it is busy and commercial, and the rest of wadsworth is downscale, grubby,and loud. You would have QOL issues there.
I'm not familiar with the Inwood locations so I can't say.
The Columbia Hospital area is the nicest spot, going along Ft. Washington Ave north frrom the hospital. North of 181st to the Clositers and west of Broadway(Hudson Heights) the neighborhood is more upscale, quieter, far fewer QOL issues.
And yes, anyplace in upper Manhattan you would defintely need a garage.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM

455 posts, read 651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I would not recommend living anywhere off of Wadsworth Ave at all. At 181st st it is busy and commercial, and the rest of wadsworth is downscale, grubby,and loud. You would have QOL issues there.
I'm not familiar with the Inwood locations so I can't say.
The Columbia Hospital area is the nicest spot, going along Ft. Washington Ave north frrom the hospital. North of 181st to the Clositers and west of Broadway(Hudson Heights) the neighborhood is more upscale, quieter, far fewer QOL issues.
And yes, anyplace in upper Manhattan you would defintely need a garage.
I live in washington heights and i can co-sign the above. Wadsworth is not that great!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Why not live in Dobbs Ferry?
It's nicer, cheaper, safer and closer to your job than Washington heights.

you could always take the metro north down to Manhattan for socializing.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM

101 posts, read 296,380 times
Why would anyone who works in Dobbs Ferry live in Washington Heights?
That is insanity.

If you like a bit more city area than Dobbs Ferry try White Plains.

White Plains is maybe 10 minutes from Dobbs Ferry & maybe 20 minutes from central Manhattan.

Washington Heights is pretty bad. It is largely Section 8 slums & rather crime filled & dirty.
If you don't get Section 8 it is ridiculously expensive.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 27,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The Columbia Hospital area is the nicest spot, going along Ft. Washington Ave north frrom the hospital.
Just curious, but what about directly east of the hospital? I know people on here say west of Broadway is better, but I'm curious if it is okay heading East when it is just next to the hospital? I looked at a place today around 169 and Amsterdam, seemed fine, maybe a little noisy, but didn't seem dangerous or anything like that.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebratu View Post
Just curious, but what about directly east of the hospital? I know people on here say west of Broadway is better, but I'm curious if it is okay heading East when it is just next to the hospital? I looked at a place today around 169 and Amsterdam, seemed fine, maybe a little noisy, but didn't seem dangerous or anything like that.
From what I've seen of the area I don't know that it is particularly dangerous, in that most of the Heights is long past the drug wars that used to afflict the area. But the QOL in that part would not be my cup of tea, even if the apartment itself is well cared for and the rent is right.

And for what it's worth, the poster who considered Washington Heghts ridiculosulsy expensive is way off base. It and Inwood are basically the only affordable areas left in Manhattan. The nicer parts of the area are far cheaper than anything downtown, largely I'd say because of the distance and the area's retailing is still generally pretty poor. East of Broadway is still largely a poor immigrant (Dominican) area and the stores reflect that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,654 times
Washington Heights west of Broadway and north of 168th is not slummy at all. In fact it's very nice, and much cheaper than it seems like it should be. I'm almost afraid to recommend it to people because I want to move back there some day....

BTW in my limited experience traffic on all the highways to Westchester sucks hard all the time. EDIT: realized you're doing a reverse commute so it will probably be fine.

Last edited by BinxBolling; 06-18-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 PM

34 posts, read 90,200 times
Thanks for all the info, everyone! FRom the research I've done (driving around, talking to random people on the streets, friends, etc) the neighborhoods in the Heights/Inwood are varied, some really nice, some noiser, some quieter, pretty much just like any NY neighborhood.

As for pricing, these prices are very good for NYC and offer some of the best QOL for the price, by far.

Mathman, yep, this is exactly what I've seen on the weekends and will be going around the neighborhood later tomorrow to check out the weekdays for QOL. Parking in this neighborhood can vary (like parking on Broadway as long as you move your car by 8am), but most people who actually use their car daily, put it in lots.

Living in WP or Dobbs Ferry is just not for me and the distance to travel back and forth on the weekends can range from 30-60 minutes via train, which becomes not too convenient.

The commute, from what I've found, is about 25-30 minutes during "rush" hours, though this is for a reverse commute, which makes it doable, unless you live below 181st (GW bridge) which makes it a LOT longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City