Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times

Advertisements

As some one who looped around nyc nightlife for much of my twenties and soon ok going to whine it down when hitting 30, I do say and agree with much of the local natives that NYC night life sucks to some extent. You have to remember night life is a broad term. For me what sucks about NYC night is the club scene. I'm sorry it just sucks. No more mega clubs in NYC only one left is Webster Hall and the Spanish owned Pacha club. Most clubs in NYC are called lounges were they are small and offer intiment setting. Its all about table bottle service, velvet carpets and ropes and celebrity sightings these days. Also there has been a huge up take in pretencious nightclubs around the city like pink lounge, tenjune, Lavo, kiss and fly. All these pretencious clubs cater to Waspy folks and Á&f crowd. Last thing I hates about NYC nightclubs is that there is a lot of cockblocking by women. I cant even count how many times I have been cockblcked by a females best friend or relative here in this city. This past weekend I was at Amenesia on the west side. Just taking some photos and this chick started kissing me and grabbing me. No joke cute black chick with a thick booty which she let me caress, it felt so good. Her friend grabs her away from me before I got a chance to seal any deal on laying the pipe on her. To many times this has happened to me and I dislike it. There is cockblocking in other cities too but NYC is to notorious for this type of attitude to point that I pretty much gave up on trying to pick up women to smash. Also I'm tired of massive groups of women that harbor dance floor and they don't want to dance with fellas but only amongst themselves. I also noticed over the past few years that a lot of married women are going to nightclubs now. Why are you clubbing? Shouldn't you be at home with your husband or kids or your looking for an affair. To me the best nightlife is L's Vegas, Atlantic city is also good too much better than NYC. Next I gotta try Miami and ATL. To the op also try to be open minded and try to infiltrate different types of night clubs which various by ethnicity to social class. Ive been to pretencious waspy clubs, house fist pumping clubs, Dominican style clubs, Indian, costume, hip hop, west Indian, hipsterish etc and I was able to blend into all of them including yuppies parties too. NYC has a great and thriving bar scene, I hope the strip clubs in NYC get better.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-16-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upineastharlem View Post
What exactly do you want with nightlife? If you want a good club scene, NYC just can't cut it because of geography. Good clubs require a lot of space, and that's the one thing Manhattan doesn't have.
lol geography?
Clubs/bars aren't stadiums.

It's not just the venues itself. It's the atmosphere.

I'm not going to claim that I've been all around the world for extended periods of time because I haven't. I have been to a handful of countries for a few weeks at a time and the difference is palpable.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
NYC has a bar scene not a club scene.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As some one who looped around nyc nightlife for much of my twenties and soon ok going to whine it down when hitting 30, I do say and agree with much of the local natives that NYC night life sucks to some extent. You have to remember night life is a broad term. For me what sucks about NYC night is the club scene. I'm sorry it just sucks. No more mega clubs in NYC only one left is Webster Hall and the Spanish owned Paschal club. Most clubs in NYC are called lounges were they are small and offer intiment setting. Its all about table bottle service, velvet carpets and ropes and celebrity sightings these days. Also there has been a huge up take in pretencious nightclubs around the city like pink lounge, tenjune, Lavo, kiss and fly. All these pretencious clubs cater to waspy folks and Á&f crowd. Last thing I hats about NYC night clubs have a lot of cockblocking by women. I cant even count how many times I have been cockblcked by a females best friend or relative here in this city. This past weekend I was at Amenesia on the west side. Just taking some photos and this chick started kissing me and grabbing me. No joke cute black chick with a thick booty which she let me caress. Her friend grabs her away from me before I got a chance to seal any deal on laying the pipe on her. To many times this has happened to me and I dislike it. There is cockblocking in other cities too but NYC is to notorious for this type of attitude to point that I pretty much gave up on trying to take women to smash. Also I'm tired of massive groups of women that harbor dance floor and they don't want to dance with fellas but only amongst themselves. I also noticed over the past few years that a lot of married women are going to nightclubs now. Why are you clubbing? Shouldn't you be at home with your husband or kids or your looking for an affair. To me the best nightlife is La's Vegas, Atlantic city is also good too much better than NYC. Next I gotta try Miami and ATL. To the op also try to be open minded and try to infiltrate different types of night clubs which various by ethnicity to social class. Ive been to pretencious waspy clubs, house fist pumping clubs, Dominican style clubs, Indian, costume, hip hop, west Indian, hipsterish etc and I was able to blend into all of them including yuppies parties too. NYC has a great and thriving bar scene, I hope the strip clubs in NYC get better.
I try but after being the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Israel, and Czech at various times, NYC is just disappointing.

Ditto on the married women. I don't understand that as well.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Last I think the NYC night life is great for immigrants who party in their communities amongst there own culture as well as out of toweners who comd from small town who never experienced a party in a big 24 hour city like NY. Also last I think but also believe gentrification has improved some of NYC nights life but it forever ruined the cities club scene.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
You're looking for the NYC of the late 70's and 80's. Sorry its gone. Its no longer vibrant as it was. Each time I come up to NYC I feel like I'm at a wine festival, Everything seems to be hidden behind doors. Yet if you go to Miami, LA, New Orleans you can feel the vibrancy in the air. I blame it on Mayor B, he's created too many laws that are all seen an black and white only with no gray area. Its like that couple that was arrested for dancing on a subway platform. Thats what the world sees.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
lol geography?
Clubs/bars aren't stadiums.

I'm not going to claim that I've been all around the world for extended periods of time because I haven't. I have been to a handful of countries for a few weeks at a time and the difference is palpable.
Its not only the size but also the fines venues get charged with when over capacity. NYC night clubs get hit with fines for fire code violations. Violations probably forced many venues to close down for good.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa
I travel to multiple countries on business and it seems others tend to take time and let go for a few hours to actually enjoy themselves wthout fear of ramifications for doing so.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You're looking for the NYC of the late 70's and 80's. Sorry its gone. ... Yet if you go to Miami, LA, New Orleans you can feel the vibrancy in the air.
During that era, NYC clubs remained open all night, with seeming impunity. Perhaps there needs to be some movement with the 4 AM closing time. Say, no entry after 3, but those inside can remain until 6 AM?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Did you really say LA as a good club scene....You've got to be kidding me. I live there, went to all the "hot" spots and that is one of the lamest places to party. Now the mansion after parties can be quite fun though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City