Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yo believe me about those drink prices. A shot of patron cost me 16 at some rooftop lounge I'm Chelsea.

oh I believe, I still think it is cheaper to pop a pill and call it a night.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,416 times
I would not say that NYC nightlife sucks, but if you don't seek out the places that fit you best, I could see how one would think that.

I lived in Manhattan from 23-29 and I lived it up there. We were out all the time dancing, drinking, having a great time for most of those years, and I wouldn't trade it for the world, it was one of the best times of my life.

That being said, the places that I used to go to then don't appeal to me anymore at the ripe old age of 32. Dinner and drinks, lounges and pubs are more my style these days than loud clubs and dancing. Of course there are plenty of places there that I enjoy, but if I didn't look for places that suit me now and just kept going to the same places I did when I was 23, I would be miserable!

NYC has any type of place you can think of, I honestly can't think of anywhere with a better variety than here. If someone is interested only in huge clubs like Pascha than I agree, there isn't much variety, but for everyone else who has broader interests, I don't know of a better place than here.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I would not say that NYC nightlife sucks, but if you don't seek out the places that fit you best, I could see how one would think that.

I lived in Manhattan from 23-29 and I lived it up there. We were out all the time dancing, drinking, having a great time for most of those years, and I wouldn't trade it for the world, it was one of the best times of my life.

That being said, the places that I used to go to then don't appeal to me anymore at the ripe old age of 32. Dinner and drinks, lounges and pubs are more my style these days than loud clubs and dancing. Of course there are plenty of places there that I enjoy, but if I didn't look for places that suit me now and just kept going to the same places I did when I was 23, I would be miserable!

NYC has any type of place you can think of, I honestly can't think of anywhere with a better variety than here. If someone is interested only in huge clubs like Pascha than I agree, there isn't much variety, but for everyone else who has broader interests, I don't know of a better place than here.
U summed it up better than I could. Thanks sweetheart. I just turned 31 last Sunday and I was never a club type anyway.....1nce a year is good enough for me. Bar/lounge all day for me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,702 times
I still cry when I walk past Limelight

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post

Tell me about it! It's so depressing.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM

24 posts, read 55,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Tell me about it! It's so depressing.
During the conversion into a marketplace, the neighbors were so afraid of a club reopening in the church that the new management went to ridiculous lengths to placate the community. But in the end, its a good thing Limelight/Avalon is closed. Its a different time now. Its no use beating a dead horse.

And believe me, just because the big clubs of the 90's and early 2000's are closed doesn't mean the drug situation is stabilized. There are drugs EVERYWHERE. The clubs just make sure they don't get implicated or they'll be shut down forcefully. The city just drove it more underground.

I have to agree that NYC Nightlife is not what it used to be, but it's still dynamic and fun. You can't compare NYC to Las Vegas in regards to Nightlife. Vegas is an entertainment city with PLENTY of space & financing for new venues. The economics are on their side. In New York, not so much.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:

same here, please, cry cry cry.....................

I have been going there since the stone age (avalon)

roxy saturday night, avalon sunday night....................I had Mondays off in the summer. it was a beautiful thing. but since I am old now, it doesn't even matter.................I love to tell my sons stories, they cant believe how the west side used to be so desolate and all........

****but I don't tell them everything **** wink, wink

Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
...compared to other regions/countries.

I don't know exactly what it is but NYC just doesn't have that ooomph in its nightlife. I don't doubt there are great venues here and there at certain times but overall it just doesn't compare to other places.

If other's have been overseas, I think they'd agree with me.
Even domestically, Miami and NOLA blow NYC out of the water. I wouldn't say Boston's ( I was actually very surprised by how good it was) any worse nightlife wise either.
if we are talking clubs then maybe i wont attack you for saying miami but new orleans? wow.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
same here, please, cry cry cry.....................

I have been going there since the stone age (avalon)

roxy saturday night, avalon sunday night....................I had Mondays off in the summer. it was a beautiful thing. but since I am old now, it doesn't even matter.................I love to tell my sons stories, they cant believe how the west side used to be so desolate and all........

****but I don't tell them everything **** wink, wink

One of my biggest night life regrets was not going to the Roxy closing party..I have no clue what the hell I was thinking. It seem the Roxy was always closing down and there was rumors of it always going to open somewhere else. That name came, I was lazy, that night left...and I regret it so much now.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 AM

431 posts, read 659,532 times
Quote:

Me to...I had soooooooooo much fun there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City