Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This is an out of touch post. I know tons of transplants who are barflies who will stay out til 4AM even on weeknights.
That has been true for years and even now I guess but that doesn't mean the nightlife scene is great. It just means some people actually still enjoy " pre - packaged " fun for $$$ when most people who like to party (back in the day ) wouldn't dream of partying in these places or with that crowd.

The era I come from was all about having a good time and the music. Mid 90's is when the fabulous and narcissistic garbage came into play like the meat district and Soho Etc. All that is and will always be irrelevant to NYC club history. You can find that anywhere.

Groundbreaking scenes and subcultures is what made NYC great. You get that from having an influx of interesting people and a liberal atmosphere, none of which exist today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 06:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You and I might know some but it ain't the popular thing to do anymore. People in NYC aren't partying and bar hopping like it used to be. Now it is just a few blocks of bars. Have you actually been around in NYC in the 90s? There were bars every block in the LES, clubs, strip clubs on the west side, and now you drive around in NYC. Barely any life left even before covid. Majority of millennials today are only interested in sushi, ramen, smoked BBQ, and craft beer. How do I know? I work with a bunch of millennials at a tech company, their post-work life sucks vs mine back in the 90s.
You hang out with the wrong crowd then. NYC nightlife is incredibly vibrant still and you can party till the sun comes up. I'd know because it's what I'd do most weekends before the pandemic. You've obviously not kept up with the reality of the times. Is it like it was in the 90s? Of course not. Just like the 90s weren't like the 70s. Things change and evolve, but club/party culture certainly did not die by any means.

So many bitter old-heads cringing at anything that isn't like "their day".

Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Mid 90's is when the fabulous and narcissistic garbage came into play
I think it started earlier than that. Mid 70's with Studio 54.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:24 PM

133 posts, read 54,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC nightlife started dying when Guiliani took over and started cracking down. During the 90s, NYC used to be loud noisy and tons of night life in almost every block downtown and west. Now it is so boring and dead.

You can literally walk to different clubs and bars those days and have a blast from 9pm until noon the next day. Eventually NYC became a 9pm-4am, then even worse. Once the transplants come here, the clubs mostly die at 1am. That's why so many clubs shutdown, because they can't make any money with transplants that don't stay late.

You go to other states and especially other countries some clubs open almost 24 hours.

From my experience, many states have a 2 AM closing time for bars. Some are even earlier, such as 1 AM in New Hampshire, the last time I went there. There are of course exceptions such as New Orleans. New York City's 4 AM closing isn't utilized by most bars anyway, especially in the outer boroughs. Clubs I don't know about, as it wasn't my thing as a pasty white guy with two left feet. I did go to the Tunnel once in 1987 though.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:28 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

So many bitter old-heads cringing at anything that isn't like "their day".
Exactly. Sure nightlife has changed a lot over the years but its still there and still fun. People who say it's dead are the ones who are at home living the family life. Though I have many friends with kids and spouses who still party it up. Pre-covid I was out enjoying nightlife and had many nights were the sun beat me home.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:52 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Yeah. It's just evolved like everything else. People still party. Every generation does or did. Just...differently. And yet, it's all still the same! Having fun, getting drunk, dancing, eating, whatever. Jeesh. I don't think it's their way of partying that they miss. It's their youth.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 AM

5,806 posts, read 2,934,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. It's just evolved like everything else. People still party. Every generation does or did. Just...differently. And yet, it's all still the same! Having fun, getting drunk, dancing, eating, whatever. Jeesh. I don't think it's their way of partying that they miss. It's their youth.
Youth and drugs. Oh the glorious drugs.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Exactly. Sure nightlife has changed a lot over the years but its still there and still fun. People who say it's dead are the ones who are at home living the family life. Though I have many friends with kids and spouses who still party it up. Pre-covid I was out enjoying nightlife and had many nights were the sun beat me home.
Exactly. I can name dozens of places to party late into the night.

Just a few that come to mind: Avant Gardner, 3 Dollar Bill, House of YES!, Elsewhere, Knockdown Center.

Rotating Parties (and I mostly know the gay ones): Alegria, MEAT, Battle Hymn, Holy Mountain, Horsemeat Disco, etc.

Anybody who says it's dead or not vibrant obviously have been out of the scene for a long time. With all the pent up demand from being deprived during the pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken to new levels when things reopen.

Edit To Add: One of the biggest things that's changed since the old-timer's days and now is that the party scene has largely moved out of Manhattan. Most of it is now in Brooklyn and (to a lesser extent) Queens.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Eh, I'm 29. It's not dead, but a combination of seeing the international scene, my places literally dissapearing (Leftfield was the first to go some years ago), the style changing (Konkrete Jungle, Industrial Strength Records, DJ Carnage in the Bronx, Barcode or w/e with Brooklyn speedcore and industrial. They all started to move farther out and aren't consistant if they're even around. Konkrete Jungle used to be every monday in the LES at Leftfield and we'd get DJ Empress playing her old school jungle on vynil!), and my rent going up relative to this decrease is starting to push me away. I'm not even sure if Lenny Dee is still in Williamsburg.

But then, I'm also a wildcard in this discussion. Got to see Angerfist in Jamaica, Queens! This stuff was severely slowing down in 2019 and I have no idea why.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Eh, I'm 29. It's not dead, but a combination of seeing the international scene, my places literally dissapearing (Leftfield was the first to go some years ago), the style changing (Konkrete Jungle, Industrial Strength Records, DJ Carnage in the Bronx, Barcode or w/e with Brooklyn speedcore and industrial. They all started to move farther out and aren't consistant if they're even around. Konkrete Jungle used to be every monday in the LES at Leftfield and we'd get DJ Empress playing her old school jungle on vynil!), and my rent going up relative to this decrease is starting to push me away. I'm not even sure if Lenny Dee is still in Williamsburg.

But then, I'm also a wildcard in this discussion. Got to see Angerfist in Jamaica, Queens! This stuff was severely slowing down in 2019 and I have no idea why.
The music scene changed a lot in NYC since the early 2000s because of transplants and gentrification. Sure you still have ghetto music but large diversity of underground music scene here disappeared or moved overseas. Because the venues have disappeared. Raves or underground parties used to happen 2-3x a week in NYC and now you'll be lucky to find 1 good one in awhile pre-covid.

I was lucky enough to have experienced a lot of legendary DJs from the area and when the scene was still fresh. I don't even want to see any of the new DJs these days because it's too automated. They don't mix music like they used to. Every club these days automate the music mixes and every DJ has to play the same set routine which is super predictable and boring.

Back then raves you get to hear all the unique mixes the DJs have and I exchange tapes and CDs of various different location and nights and you every night there is some different songs or mixes. Today majority of the DJs play the same damn routine because the new audiences don't know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City