Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,563,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Just because they are provided by the government does NOT make those programs welfare. With welfare, you make NO financial contributions and you are not expected to pay any of them back. It's like saying sharks are the same as orangutans simply because they exist in the same zoo.

Completely offbase comparisons.
No the example you just used is offbase. My point still stands.

Last edited by njnyckid; 07-30-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,412,426 times
rich people steal more from you as a taxpayer than the poor,
so why aren't you complaining about the bigger picture instead
of this petty argument? you sound like a really poor person if you
don't know that by now lol. corruption is at high and low places,
so get over it already. what can you do about it should be the
question.

Last edited by 11KAP; 07-30-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM

34,111 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
The people who are abusing and exploiting welfare are REALLY working at staying on it and calculating ways to game the system. Because playing by the state's rules and still staying in the system when you actually need to, is not easy.
So what is prohibiting the government from ending this exploitation of the system?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM

108 posts, read 171,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The irony is the stereotype of the American welfare case is actually Reba-Lynn Smith, not Latoya. But nothing is ever bad or a problem, until the blacks and browns are involved. Low-income neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen (please ignore the name), LES, Southern Bronx, etc were all wonderful places of hardworking, god fearing, caring people, until those brown's and blacks showed up and "ruined it". Welfare is horrible, not because the bulk of recipients are white and outside of NYC, but because of the image perpetuated of "Latoya and her 5 kids." Crime is a new phenomenon which hit NYC around 1960s apparently, when the blacks and browns showed up and "ruined the city." Before that it was "a wonderful place to raise a family." Everyone "earned" their way to every job they ever had, and we lived in a perfect meritocracy, that is until the 60s when 'we were forced to hire blacks and browns.' They ruined it and dumbed down everything, so now the imagined meritocracy has disappeared.

See a trend here? It is suprising that people don't see the totality of this blame game, and the sheer suspension of reality, logic, reason, and history to actually believe this garbage. And yet, in 2012, it's just the same old story. At the end of the day, every problem in NYC and the country comes down to the same thing: those browns and blacks. Problem with crime? It's the blacks/browns. Education? They let in the blacks and browns. Bad neighborhoods? Blacks and browns. Can't get a job? It's cuz they are forced to hire blacks and browns. Bad economy? It's Latoya and her 5 kids sucking us dry. Litter on the streets? Those blacks and browns. Kids hanging out and being hooligans...I mean "hoodlums"? Those black and brown kids are the problem. And on and on..it's truly amazing.

Meanwhile, the banks and those in power have just stripped the equity from your home, devalued your retirement accounts, sunk the economy causing your company to close and now you have no job, cut social services which you actually need now, while they are living it up in one of their many homes across the globe. But yeah...keep your eye on that black and brown guy..they are the real problem here.

Sobro, I'd like to take issue with this. When I started the post I was not envisioning black folks more than any others as the root of the problem of long-term public assistance in te US, although here in NYC I think that that the majority of long-term poor are black and hispanic.

Elsewhere it's white, or Native American, or whatever.

We know that many poor but working blacks were targeted by the banks for the criminal mortgage bundles of the last decade; to be black is obviously not to be lazy or even long-term poor. But blacks are certainly among those who are taking advantage of the system, and perhaps the most visible face of this in the city.

One winces at the use of 'Latoya' as a descriptive, yet statistically it's true for NYC, if not for Kentucky.

The other thing I'd like to say is that for me, the mythical hardworking NYC wasn't before the great migration north of southern blacks looking for factory jobs in the early-mid part of the century. It was before welfare became one of the central parts of the Democratic platform in terms of the government getting involved in providing and managing housing for poor people.
Now I am no historian of the American welfare system so I stand to be corrected here. But I think that something important shifted in the 40s-60s, when huge projects began to go up throughout the urban areas of the country.
It was as if the government felt it should shoulder what had been in the realm of personal responsibility - that is, you get help in hard times, and then you take responsibility yourself.

Clearly there are hopeless cases, and they often have children, too. They cannot be thrown out on the street. But I'm guessing that many, if not the majority of long-term welfare cases can be coaxed into the system. It's human nature to take whatever the system allows.

Last edited by humboldt; 07-30-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM

there's no cure for hating blacks yet?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
Humboldt:

Just to clarify, I was not calling you out specifically, it was just an overall observation. There is no doubt blacks are among those who are taking advantage of the system, but so is every other group...so why mention blacks at all? Which goes back to my initial point: Nobody takes issue until the blacks and browns are involved. As soon as the imaginary "Latoya with 5 kids" image was ingrained in people's heads in the early 80s (by the wonderful President Reagan), it became a major societal problem. Funny huh? Happens everytime!

The face of poverty in NYC is no doubt black and brown, but only because the poor whites left and were simply replaced by poor people of color. So again, what's your point?

Last edited by SobroGuy; 07-30-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 PM

108 posts, read 171,459 times
Quote:
Humboldt:

Just to clarify, I was not calling you out specifically, it was just an overall observation.
Fair enough, but it is an issue that gets easily clouded by both racism or alternately political correctness.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
All blame in this country leads back to the same thing: The blacks and browns. If you take a moment and actually listen, you will see all roads lead back to the same thing no matter what is being addressed. It's so very sad.

Let's see if we can name a problem in this country that isn't (supposedly) blacks/browns fault?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 PM

they shouldn't have brought blacks
to america then i guess. now they
don't know what to do with blacks,
huh? i mean, you can only lock so
many people up or store so many
people in the ghettos and projects,
right?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,992,119 times
Quote:
All blame in this country leads back to the same thing: The blacks and browns. If you take a moment and actually listen, you will see all roads lead back to the same thing no matter what is being addressed. It's so very sad.

Let's see if we can name a problem in this country that isn't (supposedly) blacks/browns fault?
Statements like this serve only to quickly ruin otherwise interesting conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City