Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
not really because thats one ghetto area compared to a whole bunch. Also have you ever looked at a homicide map of newark and brownsville?? doesnt look much different when you see the areas with your own eyes then reading up on numbers.
it's why i said what i said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,421,786 times
as in regards to brownsville. brownsville is a bit quiter this year as compared to last year. Most of the crime in Brownsville this year seems to be up the hill north past east new york avenue.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,829,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
east orange is pretty much similar to flatbush or east flatbush in terms of crimes. All the real crazy areas are in irvington, and southern and western sides of newark.

jersey city, patterson, east orange arent as crazy as people tend to make them out to me.

Then again i strongly support the theorie that every hood is the same.
i actually believe every hood is different(well not all of them) like in the summer nyc hoods are more live then detroit hoods.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
i actually believe every hood is different(well not all of them) like in the summer nyc hoods are more live then detroit hoods.
ive never been to detroit hoods so i cant say. but also being live at one point doesnt really justify a hood being different because detroit is pretty hot all year around as it seems.

but to me hoods are different on a sense of what is the major crime factor. One thing i hate is when cities like chicago are claimed to be the most dangerous when literally the majority of their murders is gang related.

here on the east coast people are dying over a bunch of things not just 1 thing. east coast is all about money and heated disputes.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Please.

Brownsville/East New York is MUCH improved compared to the 70-80's pre-Nehemiah Housing Project that bought working class home ownership to area and a level of stabilization. New housing around the Saratoga Ave/Prospect area got the place starting to look livable again. Are there still real issues that need to be resolved (centered around high levels of poverty) in 2012? Absolutely. But stick Bronsville/ENY in the middle of Philly and it would be considered a higher than normal crime area but nowhere close to the warzone areas like Strawberry Mansion, Badlands, Fairhill, Point Breeze, etc...
Parts of Philly look like war zones, with shells of houses all boarded up and people hanging around listlessly in front. I have driven through Brownsville and never saw anything that resembled some of what I have seen while passing through Philly on the train.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=17th+...326.1,,0,14.01
I guess looks can't tell you everything, but this looks really bad (Philly)

Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Parts of Philly look like war zones, with shells of houses all boarded up and people hanging around listlessly in front. I have driven through Brownsville and never saw anything that resembled some of what I have seen while passing through Philly on the train.
i travel to philly normally. looks dont mean nothing because if you pass by camden or baltimore youll be saying that philly looks like paradise.

as far as philly goes it has a lot of vacant lots, and only a selected few areas have a vacant building issue.

but for the most part the hoods in philly are just dirty, filled with vacant lots but a lot of the buildings are in tact, and people live in them.

now in baltimore you will have a block filled with 50 homes where 48 of them are vacant

Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Those houses aren't that bad they look preety cool

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 PM

811 posts, read 551,340 times
What I find hilarious is that these thugs in this country think they are so tough, but I would love to take each one and drop them in the roughest parts of jamaica/brazil and hear about the next morning their bodies being left in the street and nobody even batting an eye.

I have a theory, even if you're in the roughest hood in america, be greatful because you have many luxuries others don't. In this case, brownsville, yea, you're in the hood but remember you're only a train ride away from one of the best cities in the world and can escape it for a short time, some parks, etc.. A kid growing up in the slums of jamaica, haiti, mexico, etc. with violent crime would probably switch in a heartbeat with people living in this neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
What I find hilarious is that these thugs in this country think they are so tough, but I would love to take each one and drop them in the roughest parts of jamaica/brazil and hear about the next morning their bodies being left in the street and nobody even batting an eye.

I have a theory, even if you're in the roughest hood in america, be greatful because you have many luxuries others don't. In this case, brownsville, yea, you're in the hood but remember you're only a train ride away from one of the best cities in the world and can escape it for a short time, some parks, etc.. A kid growing up in the slums of jamaica, haiti, mexico, etc. with violent crime would probably switch in a heartbeat with people living in this neighborhood.
Believe me Ive been to Spanish town the murder rate over there is like 100 something and that's normal for them but I didn't stay there I stayed in St. Andrew in my grandparents house. Don't forget the countless incidents like 30 people killed related to drugs. Jamaica named The World's most homophobic city after killing 100s of gays.The only thing that can compare in Us slightly is NYC's worst hoods in the 80s. That's it.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,588,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
They were trying to make a point about putting too many projects together in the same area
is one of the main reasons for the violents and crimes in the area. The huge residential buildings
in Manhattan are not projects full of poverty-stricken broken families with no education and no
future though, can't really compare them with each other.

I managed to watch the whole video, but I ended up facepalming myself half way through it as
I got bombarded with the projects right next to each other, and people are on top of each other"
line. (Around 20+ times!) It's going to be like a song that you can't get it out of your head after
listening to it too many times.

Also, I'm very surprised there are no iron window bars on the first floor of those buildings where
you mentioned about the white guy in long white shirt.
There are many areas in the 5 boroughs that have lots of projects within the same area and they arent nearly as bad as Brownsville is today. Queensbridge projects is the largest housing project in the country and although they use to be much worse, they are pretty quiet and calm nowadays compared to Brownsville. In the Lower East Side you have about 16-17 blocks along Ave D of nothing but housing projects stretching from Delancey Street all the way up to East 14th street. Still doesnt compare to the savagry of Brownsville.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-09-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City