Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM

372 posts, read 740,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Let me start of by saying that I'm a native New Yorker. Born and raised in Manhattan's lower east side. I have been to pretty much every neighborhood both good and bad within the 5 boroughs but last week for the first time while taking a detour due to heavy traffic I passed through what I was told at the time was Brownsville Brooklyn. I recall being at the intersection of Rockaway and Sutter and looking around while saying to myself...."where the hell am I?" It was as if every single person in the neighborhood was outside doing nothing but watching everyone who passed by. Every single store front had at least 6-7 guys just standing in front. While driving down Sutter I come to a stop at a red light and see some guy being carried out on a stretcher from a chicken place on the corner with blood running down his face as if he was cut or stabbed. Continued down Sutter and saw more of the same block after block. It was as if everyone was up to no good! Sorry if I offend anyone who's from there but this neighborhood was pretty horrific looking! Even the cops looked scared while patrolling on foot 5 deep all walking very close together. It was as if the people (mainly black males) were like wolves just waiting around to attack thier prey! Now I've been to some rough looking neighborhoods but this one definitely takes the cake! Sad part is, there's people from there that are actually proud of having that title!
They purposely push black males out of school and they don't give them jobs, so what do you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
They purposely push black males out of school and they don't give them jobs, so what do you expect?
Really ? Hmmm .... how to explain the number of "black males" who have interesting and productive lives ...

Certainly, there is a tendency to give up on ghetto black males. Is that what you meant ? I mean, as opposed to dredging up the old conspiracy baloney and embracing of victimhood. You know, it's not that their pants are around their knees or that they cannot speak a simple declarative sentence. It's all a conspiracy against "black males."

Are you sure about that ?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 AM

[quote=South Jamaica,Queens boy;25581703]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Come on man you don't estimate the value of a human being by his wealth

What I ment was a lot of whites use the stereotype that blacks are poor and don't do good in life so I had to get it of my chest. And say it
Really ? Because we have found that a lot of "blacks" stereotype ALL blacks as ghetto folk. They are poor and do not do well in life because of the lifestyle they embrace, the ghetto lifestyle. Then, such people they have the nerve to deny that set of facts and argue that their own failures are due to them being "black."

That's what we see. And we are really, really tired of it.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
::YAWN::
Anybody else sick to deaf of black and white relations in this country?
Lets all just agree that it's never gonna work out.
Everybody hates everybody.
Nobody likes anybody.

We're all doomed.
Eff it!
Oddly Racist

Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Really ? Hmmm .... how to explain the number of "black males" who have interesting and productive lives ...

Certainly, there is a tendency to give up on ghetto black males. Is that what you meant ? I mean, as opposed to dredging up the old conspiracy baloney and embracing of victimhood. You know, it's not that their pants are around their knees or that they cannot speak a simple declarative sentence. It's all a conspiracy against "black males."

Are you sure about that ?
Every population will have both productive and unproductive members. Just because some of us are able to do well does not negate the fact that black males are treated a certain way in this country.

I didn't always think that way, but as I've become more educated, I've been able to see things that happen to other people and things that have happened to myself, and I 100% agree that there is a conspiracy to destroy black boys and men. All you gotta do is look at the history of this country and look around you.

Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Intersting video by Sonny Townsend. I kept watching it all the way through just to see if anything unexpected would happen (it didn't). Just 2 dudes walking around a deserted neighborhood. I was actually surprised to see the neighborhood looked as good as it did --- I've driven through sections of Philadelphia that look 10 times worse! Baltimore also. Not to say I would hang out in Brownsville though.

By the way, where's the "Messiah" (Obama) to fix all of these problems? Has the guy uttered a single word about the inner cities since he's been president?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking?
Female ! Obviously, I thought.
However, in spite of that handicap, I do have some on-going experience with the "black male," such as the one working in our study right now ...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Female ! Obviously, I thought.
However, in spite of that handicap, I do have some on-going experience with the "black male," such as the one working in our study right now ...
Does the man in your study share your views on the subject?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Does the man in your study share your views on the subject?
In fact, he influenced me toward such views. In my heart I am still oriented basically toward a "helping" posture. But he says, You tried to help and so did many other people and it did not work. Now, we must regulate these people to minimize the bad impact for everyone else. Living in Central Harlem has not helped. Living west of there has certainly not helped - things have gotten worse in this area for sure. I think he is also angry because the greater culture often assumes a "ghetto" thing and he is tired of this.

We both cried the first time we saw the PBS film about AIDS in the black community. It was about so much more, all beyond our class experiences and a lot of it before our time even. But still.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 PM

I see where you are coming from. I'd just suggest studying some black sociologists before taking such a position... if you have not already done so. I can give you book suggestions if you like.

And yeah, everybody can't be saved, but there are those that just need some guidance, and our educated class has failed when it comes to seeking out those people and helping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City