Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Sorry but not an excuse. They should get aid from the city/state/federal government or other places. I'm sure many of us are willing to pay slightly more for major improvements. Everything needs to be upgraded once in a while.... that's why roads, bridges, houses and other things gets makeover.

You do realize that we're already paying slightly more to subsidize projects such as the second ave subway, right? And that the MTA is a state agency which receives a TON of federal funding as it is.

Come on people, it's really not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,277,114 times
SAS will be dirty and rat infested the day it opens. You heard it here first :-)

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,831 times
Yeah, it's not as clean as the DC Metro, but with 7.5 million people riding it per day, 722 miles of track and 468 stations, don't expect it to be spotless.

Just be glad the fare is still $2.25. Compared to the ~$8 on the London Underground, it's a steal. The MTA could go ahead and replace all 6,000 train cars at a cost of over $6 billion, but you can kiss single digit fares goodbye for good.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,444,616 times
Quote:
New York City being among the greatest cities in the world has unfortunately generally dirty and bad subway/metro system compared to many other cities in the world with similar, higher or slightly lower population. Yes, it runs 24/7/365, is affordable, has plenty of stations, and runs everywhere, but I'll rather have a MUCH cleaner, nicer stations and better and more modern train tracks with closing for few hours every overnight than what the city has today. Very sad.

It's disgusting using the subway system in most stations... what a shame!:/
the subways are getting renovated right now as we speak. But for now its mainly the elevated train stations that are rapidly being cleaned up. I guess elevated train stations are easier.

as for as the subways under the tunnel its mainly the large stations that are being renovated. Alot of the local stops or independent stops are probably a bit ignored.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,444,616 times
Quote:
Sorry but not an excuse. They should get aid from the city/state/federal government or other places. I'm sure many of us are willing to pay slightly more for major improvements. Everything needs to be upgraded once in a while.... that's why roads, bridges, houses and other things gets makeover.
city has 8 million people. stop complaining. keeping a city with all these people is very difficult. Im willing to bet you probably littered your welches grape soda can in the subway yesterday.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:35 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,214,868 times
I have no complaints about the subways themselves but the stations are FILTHY and they are filthy becasue they are not cleaned. The walls and ceilings are NEVER cleaned...and every 50 years the stations are all renovated only with new tiles and then left for another 50 years to get filthier and filthier.
Even the thousands of fluorescent tubes are not cleaned even ONCE between replacements.
When the DO smear some paint on the tunnel walls, it is over decades of grime and the whole mess sloughs off in huge pieces.

The system COULD be cleaned if the MTA had the will...it is NOT cleaned, and that's because nobody "important" ever goes down there to see it.
They use cabs and limos.

I know some are fond of blaming passengers but I will believe that when I see somebody dropping trash that winds up as a half inch thick layer of greasy lampblack on the ceiling over the train or back wall beyond the tracks or atop a fluorescent tube.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,590,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeckrug View Post
Yeah, it's not as clean as the DC Metro, but with 7.5 million people riding it per day, 722 miles of track and 468 stations, don't expect it to be spotless.

Just be glad the fare is still $2.25. Compared to the ~$8 on the London Underground, it's a steal. The MTA could go ahead and replace all 6,000 train cars at a cost of over $6 billion, but you can kiss single digit fares goodbye for good.
We don't expect it to be 100% spotless, but at least they could put fresh paint, keep it clean and update the train trucks system....

Old 08-18-2012, 02:55 PM

25,426 posts, read 37,214,868 times
Even a million gallons of FANTASTIC sprayed on the walls would be cheap...just fire two top executives to make up the price.

CLEAN the walls!
or to paraphrase:

CLEAN THE F**King WALLS.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,683,280 times
Quote:
We don't expect it to be 100% spotless, but at least they could put fresh paint, keep it clean and update the train trucks system....
And at least try to fix leaks....very few things are nastier than getting dripped on in the subway.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,686,713 times
I don't really think the subway system is that nasty. I only go to the city every once in a while but I never have a problem riding the D/ 4 trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City