Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM

37,230 posts, read 39,498,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you want the subway system to get
some cosmetic improvements?
Probably not just cosmetic improvements. Trash fires, drainage issues, general wear and tear from objects getting wedged in places and ejecta'd about in the subway actually do make a difference in terms of operations in both efficiency and costs.

Not that actual aesthetics and cleanliness are unimportant, of course.

As for what can be done, I know the mta is piloting a project where the absence of trash cans actually keeps stations cleaner in other systems for various reasons, so they're trying stuff. Other things are fines (and enforcement of those fines), change in the demographics and cultural attitudes that is currently happening, a thorough cleaning station by station (if a place is already dirty, you aren't as hesitant to add to the mess), a larger sanitation and waste management budget in general, and a partition between the tracks and the waiting platform (happening in future stations, I think) are all possible options. If you have money. And decent management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 05:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,124,888 times
Grittyness part of what makes a city beautiful imo.

That's why I love Downtown LA. Cant wait to see NYC for that reason.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 PM

80 posts, read 308,496 times
I agree many of the stations could be cleaner, but for the most part the cars are well kept and the system works pretty well. Frankly, I don't care if the stations are beautiful so long as the system does what I pay for it to do - get me to work, home, and anywhere else. If you want to pay 2.25 each way, I don't see how many of these idealistic visions for the MTA could be possible.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,741,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The system COULD be cleaned if the MTA had the will...it is NOT cleaned, and that's because nobody "important" ever goes down there to see it.
They use cabs and limos.
Not true.

Several important people (such as current NYC Mayor Mike Bloomburg) use the subway to commute daily as well.

Anyways any transit system that is used by millions of people per day is going to be much harder to kept clean and maintained then some rinky dink subway system or light rail system that is used by less people.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Quote:
I don't see how many of these idealistic visions for the MTA could be possible.
How idealistic is requiring ANNUAL cleaning of walls? ANNUAL wiping of fluorescent tubes?

The place is a dump becasue we tolerate an MTA with no interest in cleaning. And then to listen to claprtrap about trash cans and fines which is just shifting blame onto paying passengers instead of onto those PAID VERY WELL who are shirking their duty to the public...just too much.

The stations are pigsties becasue they are never cleaned. Anything else is just NOISE.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,422,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I don't really think the subway system is that nasty. I only go to the city every once in a while but I never have a problem riding the D/ 4 trains.
the number lines always have better and cleaners stations from what i noticed.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 AM

499 posts, read 794,632 times
It will change only once a major accident happens.... a train collides, a ceiling collapses etc.. Then the politicians will force the agency to open it's books and reform. It's unfortunate that that's how our country works now.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,084,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not true.

Several important people (such as current NYC Mayor Mike Bloomburg) use the subway to commute daily as well.

Anyways any transit system that is used by millions of people per day is going to be much harder to kept clean and maintained then some rinky dink subway system or light rail system that is used by less people.
Yet somehow this isn't true of just about EVERY major metro system in the rest of the world- many which see ridership just as high as NYC.

NYCT is just gross. They don't make upgrades or clean. That's just not what they're in the business of.

Until the system collapses we won't see any improvements. Don't hold your breath.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
New York City being among the greatest cities in the world has unfortunately generally dirty and bad subway/metro system compared to many other cities in the world with similar, higher or slightly lower population. Yes, it runs 24/7/365, is affordable, has plenty of stations, and runs everywhere, but I'll rather have a MUCH cleaner, nicer stations and better and more modern train tracks with closing for few hours every overnight than what the city has today. Very sad.

It's disgusting using the subway system in most stations... what a shame!:/
A couple key reasons why NYC's subway system is not as clean as the rest of the world's.

#1 as everyone has suggested it is the most extensive and among the oldest systems and is the only one that runs 24/7

#2 and this is very important...in most other countries their Metro systems also recieve a large portion of their funding from their National government so they don't have the budget constraints we have. In NYC the funding is mostly local and state

Considering those two factors we are doing pretty good for the largest subway system in the world and the only 24/7 one. They can find more innovative and cost-effective ways of addressing cleanlieness and pest control though.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
the number lines always have better and cleaners stations from what i noticed.
word, and along with the L train they have timers that countdown when the next train is coming. I remember ALL the stations were supposed to have that by 2011. But, alas...budget constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City