Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 45,028 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Mott Haven area, and I am looking into what our life will consist of once we arrive. I have two children under 5 years of age.

I know we can hop on the train to get to UES for some great food, and parks (we will be right on 3rd ave/138th stop)...what is good in the area?

Parks for the kids?
Food for take out or dine in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
There is the Mott Haven branch library - on 140th near 3rd ave. The staff there are excellent.

There is a nice place at the corner of 139th and 3rd called, I think, "The Rainbow Room." They have live music sometimes.

If you go west, down 3rd Ave, just under the bridge to Manhattan, there is the Bruckner Bar and Grill. Nice place, great food, a bit pricey.

For food shopping, there is the Western Beef market on Morris Ave. For wine and spirits, there's a liquor store right there on 3rd that's reasonably priced.

Parks: Not too many, right there. You can take the #1 or #2 bus up the hill to Franz Sigel park. It's small but quite nice. It was once used as an observation outpost by Revolutionary war soldiers.

A bit further afield, along the route of the #19 bus, eastbound, is St Mary's park.

Lots of good stuff in the area. Do be a little careful, after dark, in that area between Morris and 3 Ave, by those housing projects. I've never had a bad time myself but I've heard some nasty stories.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
In terms of food, the area is limited in quality places, however there are a few:

Ceetay: Sushi and Thai
Bruckner Bar & Grill: Bar food/brunch
Clocktower Martini Bar: Tapas, small plates, good brunch
Habanero: Mexican
Pio Pio: Peruvian food, there are a few locations in the city

And if you venture a little further but still generally Mott Haven:
Giovannis: Decent Italian Food, nice place, good brunch (but expensive!) on 151st and Concourse
Frescos: Great pizza on 149th and St. Anns
Mexicocina: Great Mexican on 149th and Wales

As far as I am concerned, that is it.

For parks you have Brook Park Community Garden on 141st..kids like it. They have chickens. As well as St. Mary's Park on 149th-143rd and St. Anns - Jackson Ave. There are kiddie parks, base ball fields, dog run, jogging track, and indoor recreation center with year round lap pool, weight room, treadmills etc, and kids activities.

Just outside of Mott Haven you also have the big Gateway Mall along 149th-152nd and the Major Deegan, Mill Pond Park along the waterfront, and the 16 tennis courts along the waterfront!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekedancin View Post
We are moving to the Mott Haven area, and I am looking into what our life will consist of once we arrive. I have two children under 5 years of age.

I know we can hop on the train to get to UES for some great food, and parks (we will be right on 3rd ave/138th stop)...what is good in the area?

Parks for the kids?
Food for take out or dine in?
No offense but why are you moving into an area that you seem to know so little about? Have you spent time there and familiarized yourself with the atmosphere and amenities available or not available ? I can't imagine moving to a neighborhood without being thoroughly familiar.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
In terms of food, the area is limited in quality places, however there are a few:

Ceetay: Sushi and Thai
Bruckner Bar & Grill: Bar food/brunch
Clocktower Martini Bar: Tapas, small plates, good brunch
Habanero: Mexican
Pio Pio: Peruvian food, there are a few locations in the city

And if you venture a little further but still generally Mott Haven:
Giovannis: Decent Italian Food, nice place, good brunch (but expensive!) on 151st and Concourse
Frescos: Great pizza on 149th and St. Anns
Mexicocina: Great Mexican on 149th and Wales

As far as I am concerned, that is it.

For parks you have Brook Park Community Garden on 141st..kids like it. They have chickens. As well as St. Mary's Park on 149th-143rd and St. Anns - Jackson Ave. There are kiddie parks, base ball fields, dog run, jogging track, and indoor recreation center with year round lap pool, weight room, treadmills etc, and kids activities.

Just outside of Mott Haven you also have the big Gateway Mall along 149th-152nd and the Major Deegan, Mill Pond Park along the waterfront, and the 16 tennis courts along the waterfront!

Damn you beat me to it.

I would like to add ag gate six Yankee stadium there are two restaurants for liking even though its not in mott haven but its still close by. I would like to add a couple of decent Italian eateries on 149th street which serve good portions of food such as Venice on 149th and union avenue another pizzeria on 149th and st Ann's, its a nice place to sit down and eat as well as lite on the wallet. For parks st Marys has a recreational center you should check that out. Just a few days ago I walked through the park and some tourist asked wht type of butterflies are those, I told them Monarch butterflies, they are migrating from Canada to Mexico.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-27-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No offense but why are you moving into an area that you seem to know so little about? Have you spent time there and familiarized yourself with the atmosphere and amenities available or not available ? I can't imagine moving to a neighborhood without being thoroughly familiar.
I agree with you on this. People who move to mott haven do it either by desperation or by no other choice both poor folks for no other options and aswell as yuppie hipster transplants move to the area for cheap rent and within proximity of Manhattan's orbit. Night and daytime in mott haven is like Dr, Jeykel and Mr. Hyde. I'm a long time resident and I'm attuned to both night and daytime of the area.

Last thing to the op Mott Haven has a very interesting and unique history which not helped shape this city but shaped this country. Open your text book and read the preamble or look at some currency bills such as five and fifty dollar bill, both structures were built in Mott Haven.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I would agree that daytime and night time are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde....but not too long ago daytime and nightime were both Dr. Jekyll!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:03 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Default Does anyone know a good Chinese place in Mott Haven?

I've tried 4 - 5, and they all served me huge mounds of poorly cooked, greasy indigestible crap.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I've tried 4 - 5, and they all served me huge mounds of poorly cooked, greasy indigestible crap.
Chinese food in mott haven is crape, that's why everyone there orders chicken wings and french fries. I only buy Chinese food across the 40th precinct which is much more tasty and serve good amount of portion.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 45,028 times
BTW - thanks for the replies! We have been thoroughly enjoying the neighborhood, and our new apartment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City