Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 AM

28 posts, read 123,906 times

Advertisements

Hi momof4,

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago...moved to NY to study on a tight budget.
What I would suggest to you and daughter .. although commute time is important that it may
be better to look further out maybe 45 mins to 1 hour commute and be safe and comfortable.
Just have to organize your time well and it can work.

The area you mention is not the best area for single young females to be
travelling alone. Check out mill basin area and marine park also I heard Bay ridge
is a safe neighborhood but not for blacks.(feel free to comment or correct)

Have they consider looking into Queens? Commute times not so bad (30 - 45 mins) from places
like Woodside, Sunnyside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills to mention a few.

I also looking to return to NY and asking the same questions....good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM

28 posts, read 123,906 times
Check out post : Safest/Most Dangerous places in Brooklyn (last page)

Hope you find some useful info from this post.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
2.) they want to be able to get into lower Manhattan within a 30 minute commute,
Like I suspected. Your daughter and her friends want to be able to drink after work and not have a long commute home. Why doesn't everybody just admit that this is the reason why they want a short commute.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes,I have.I've been there a couple of times in the last 6 months . That the area "is nothing like what it was 10 years ago"( can be said about virtually every neighborhood in NYC) still doesn't make it a neighborhood I would live in today.
I have to cosign this, not in a personal sense since living anywhere in CH would be very comfortable for me, but in the way people use this as a reason to justify living in places that they know they wouldn't feel comfortable in, despite the gentrification that's been going on.

And Seventh Floor, I agree that shouldn't feel bad or ashamed to admit that being near Manhattan is a bigger priority than living in a neighborhood where they feel safe. There's thousands of people in NYC who have the same priorities as them. Not good or bad; it just is.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I have to cosign this, not in a personal sense since living anywhere in CH would be very comfortable for me, but in the way people use this as a reason to justify living in places that they know they wouldn't feel comfortable in, despite the gentrification that's been going on.

And Seventh Floor, I agree that shouldn't feel bad or ashamed to admit that being near Manhattan is a bigger priority than living in a neighborhood where they feel safe. There's thousands of people in NYC who have the same priorities as them. Not good or bad; it just is.
We would be able to assist much better if they were honest with us.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-02-2012, 12:58 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you been to NW Crown Heights any this past year? The area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago.
So, tell us how it was ten years ago.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you been to NW Crown Heights any this past year? The area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
So, tell us how it was ten years ago.
Yes! If you're going to make a statement comparing the Crown Heights of ten years ago to the Crown Heights of today, please describe what year you're talking about that you were there around 10 years ago, and what the vibe was at that time.

That is... unless you were never actually there 10 years ago and are just going by photos, what you read online and what other people have told you. In that case, it's fine, but it would be better to say something like, "I have HEARD the area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago."

Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
Thanks all for the replies.

RE: why Crown Heights -- it's not my first choice of neighborhood for them but they are dealing with the dynamic of 1.)having a modest rent budget which prices them out of many neighborhoods,2.) they want to be able to get into lower Manhattan within a 30 minute commute, 3.) finding an apartment they all like in an area they feel comfortable 4.) finding a landlord willing to rent to 4 young women two of whom are students and have no employment at present (have already been turned down for one place they liked in another neighborhood) and 5.) due to school starting have to find someplace quickly. So, their options are somewhat limited.

Since she has to be dressed nicely (business casual) for school would that make her more of a target in CH? Should she consider waiting to change into her nicer clothes in Manhattan and then changing again before getting on the subway? Would be glad to hear any other tips on how to be "street smart".
Nah, they will be fine. If they are out late at night, it would be wise to walk with someone, but again, they will be fine in that area. The neighborhood still scares some New Yorkers, which you can see here, but if they feel fine there, then there is no reason not to live there.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes! If you're going to make a statement comparing the Crown Heights of ten years ago to the Crown Heights of today, please describe what year you're talking about that you were there around 10 years ago, and what the vibe was at that time.

That is... unless you were never actually there 10 years ago and are just going by photos, what you read online and what other people have told you. In that case, it's fine, but it would be better to say something like, "I have HEARD the area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago."
Well you weren't here 100 years ago, yet there is plenty of information about this city. Obviously you are looking to fight over pointless details. If you were here 10 years ago or lived in Crown Heights 10 years ago, then feel free to share your input to the OP, if not then feel free to create a thread about what you have and haven't done and how many years you have and haven't lived in NYC.

I suggest you stick to the OP topic and not stray into these pointless arguments.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 15,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
idk why people try to claim franklin ave as the only crown heights street.

overall crown heights is the ghetto. i guess franklin is now the spot. But anything east of brooklyn ave is GHETTO.

I keep hearing positive things about Franklin and west of there but keep hearing a lot of very negative things about the eastern part of CH. My husband was actually with the girls when they were apartment hunting in CH on a couple different days and then made a trip with them at around midnight to check out the neighborhood at night. His impressions were that the Rogers/Bedford/Franklin area seemed fine - lots of people out and about jogging, walking the dog, etc. but that when they walked toward the east it seemed to start changing after Nostrand.
So he advised them to stay west of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City