Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM

520 posts, read 844,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
My point was more that since even within one country cities are vastly different, that you would find even more differences when comparing cities within different national borders.

Your subject asked if anyone had lived in Europe. Then your question itself mentioned you were considering Australia. That's the only reason I mentioned it - I meant nothing disparaging about that, just didn't want to confuse anyone else reading the response since I was focusing on Europe and not Australia.

When/if you move you should also research whether you would need a permit to work or for anything else. It took some time for me to get my work permit for the UK before I moved over. It's easy to forget those requirements sometimes when we are used to being visitors without these additional requirements.
I guess I didn't articulate my inquiry well. I was mainly interested in the experiences of posters who had lived or live in other countries/cities within Europe and Australia and their impressions, specifically their take on the lifestyle differences between places in Australia or Europe and NYC. I didn't mean for the question to be interpreted as a summation of all of the cities around the world and how they compare to one another in the general sense, just personal experiences and opinions from those who were lucky to live in various places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
She said that in Germany most people seemed genuinely friendly and very helpful. She loved the culture and found that the Germans like to party fun and hard. They also know how to actually run trains on time as well. But, at the end of the day her heart was still here in NYC. She said it was a great and fun experience but NYC is where she still wants to be.
Germans within Europe are as boring as they get. Or maybe it's the case that the Germans I've met were pretty bland. My brother, who lives in Hamburg, has a similar opion. He tells me about a new years eve where he bought a boat load of alcohol just to end up drinking all by himself while all the guys were sound asleep by 1am.

The most fun (party-wise) in Europe, IMO, are the Spanish. They dont get plastered by 1am, they are getting out of the house at that time. LOL.
Ibiza and the Canary islands are famous party destinations. Mighty expensive, but fun wild though.

But as far as living in Europe I think I would go with a northen european country. Most likely the UK, so I dont have to learn a new language.

Now Australia is a even more interesting prospect.
I wonder how easy would it be for an American to get permanent residency there.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
I guess I didn't articulate my inquiry well. I was mainly interested in the experiences of posters who had lived or live in other countries/cities within Europe and Australia and their impressions, specifically their take on the lifestyle differences between places in Australia or Europe and NYC. I didn't mean for the question to be interpreted as a summation of all of the cities around the world and how they compare to one another in the general sense, just personal experiences and opinions from those who were lucky to live in various places.
That's what I thought you were looking for. I guess maybe I wasn't clear in my response. I have stayed in many European cities, some longer than others, and I am happily married to a man that spent the first 20 years of his life living in Europe before moving to the US/NYC. He has a lot of very good points comparing school/work/life in Europe vs. NYC but it all kind of depends on which specific city or country vs. NY. It's very exciting to move somewhere else and experience a new culture!

One of the main differences I find is that Europeans tend to value vacation time a lot more than NYers. In my field it's difficult to take vacation, and you usually wind up losing your earned vacation days. In Europe you are generally given more vacation to begin with but then also encouraged to take it. Very nice - especially when you have so many other countries in your backyard to visit!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Germans within Europe are as boring as they get. Or maybe it's the case that the Germans I've met were pretty bland. My brother, who lives in Hamburg, has a similar opion. He tells me about a new years eve where he bought a boat load of alcohol just to end up drinking all by himself while all the guys were sound asleep by 1am.
I have to say, most Germans I met did appear to be quite dry. Ha! Germany just doesn't really appeal to me as place of residence. A place to visit, enjoy beer and visit those spectacular museums yes, living there...naah

Quote:
The most fun (party-wise) in Europe, IMO, are the Spanish. They dont get plastered by 1am, they are getting out of the house at that time. LOL.
Ibiza and the Canary islands are famous party destinations. Mighty expensive, but fun wild though.
I really didn't understand that. When I was in Spain I would wake up in the morning and watch people returning from clubs, only to get ready to go to work. How do they do it? And they work past 5pm!

Quote:
But as far as living in Europe I think I would go with a northen european country. Most likely the UK, so I dont have to learn a new language.
Now Australia is a even more interesting prospect.
I wonder how easy would it be for an American to get permanent residency there.
My distant cousin lives in the UK, and she loves it. As much as she loves Paris she prefers London. I don't know, all of that rain...not sure I can take it.

As for Australia, it would probably be ideal. I've heard of some people who moved either from the US or Canada to the kangaroo country and they love it! The fact that you don't have to learn a new language is a huge bonus! The only problem is that it's very isolated from the rest of the world.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Recently I've been entertaining a thought of moving to France or Australia, just a little fantasy that probably doesn't have enough juice to set things in motion, but it feels good to think about it in my most stressful times. Just curious if any of you had lived in Europe or Australia for extended periods of time, or know someone who has. How does the lifestyle compare to that of New York?
I lived in England & France as a child so it is hard for me to compare. But I did spent 6 months as an adult in Australia and I think the lifestyle there is definitely more laid-back than in NYC.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I lived in England & France as a child so it is hard for me to compare. But I did spent 6 months as an adult in Australia and I think the lifestyle there is definitely more laid-back than in NYC.
Please tell me more. Where in Australia and what other differences did you notice? What did you miss about NYC in Australia, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Please tell me more. Where in Australia and what other differences did you notice? What did you miss about NYC in Australia, etc.
I lived in Melbourne which is very spread out similar to Los Angeles (rather than NYC). I lived in Melbourne before I started living in NYC although I had visited NYC several times before moving to NYC as my father was from Bronx and I always was visiting my grandparents in Queens during my childhood.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
I lived in Florence for a year and I loved it.I love Italy so much that I vacation in different places there every year,sometimes twice a year.I spent a summer living in Venice, which is about as long as anyone could live in Venice despite it's beauty and charm.

I've traveled a lot in other European countries and actually have an Irish passport but none of them compares to Italy for me.Italian people,food and culture are the best ! It's all about enjoying people and life .

In many ways Italy is just the opposite of NY.Maybe that's why I love it there,even though I love NY. It's the perfect antidote.I may retire there or at least set up a second residence there on retirement.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-30-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
That's a reasonable requirement. Just curious, why were you checking? Is that something you also considered?
Yes, I truly have.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Strictly because this is nyc ;If you're Jewish or have a grandparent that's Jewish ( and this is NYC ) there's always Israel. There are some rather large cities ( by Israeli standards) which are very European-esque. Great weather, great women ( and men for the ladies? Lol), great food and an overall great atmosphere. The country is much more geograpically and culturally diverse than most give it credit for. English is widely spoken as well and Hebrew is not terribly difficult to pick up.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 08-30-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City