Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefir king View Post
first you need something for the corner of your bedroom:

Then jump on the subway to brighton beach and do your yoga. (yes it's a trip but then you weren't planning on a beach house in malibu either.

Then go to the metropolitan museum of art.

Stand real quiet and notice that the ground hasn't shaken with an earthquake even once...unless you are atop a subway grate.

And last, but not least...sell your car and save a bundle.

And if your urge for an la feeling becomes overwhelming, just take the lexington line to 116th street on a swelteringly hot day...voila, los angeles.

kefir, you are so funny, you deserve a rep........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
They have real palm trees growing in the winter garden at the World Financial Center between WFC2 and WFC 3. Nice place!
Also have real palm trees in Long Branch, NJ, on the beach, just a train ride away from Manhattan. AND yoga every morning at 8 a.m. Summers, anyway.

How about yoga in Bryant Park or Central Park with the city all around you?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbliss View Post
Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
You got the better deal by far. LA cannot compare to NYC.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Quote:
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
If weather is important to you, then you will probably have preferred LA (I prefer LA for that among other things). NYC has hot, humid summers and cold, endless winters. Fall and Spring barely exist here anymore, at least IMO.

I find NYC stressful, but I am a more laid back person. Some love it here, and couldn't see themselves anywhere else...you won't really know how you feel until you have lived here a while.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
One of the best things about living in NYC rather than L.A. is that you do not need a car and get around on public transportation 24/7.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
It's expensive, but a great place if you can afford to deal with it.

The weather is not very good compared to LA.
Much more cultural affairs here, less nightlife.

As many have said, they are apples and oranges.

My biggest finding about the flaw of New York is that it's residents are incredibly sheltered. They know very little, nor appear to care very little of life going on outside their bubble. Having eating multicultural food is fairly different than having visited other cultures. The inability to leave the city easily because of lack of cars makes their realm of comfort a very short distance.

"Los Angeles" so often encompasses a whole of Southern California. Palm Trees are abundant, but the beach is COLD. Try Hawaii or Florida for real paradise-laden tropical dreams.

MONEY talks a lot on these forums.

For every $40K you'd have in LA, you'd need $70K in Manhattan.
Realistically though, pay doesn't work that way except a few choice professions.

Best of luck.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
They have real palm trees growing in the winter garden at the World Financial Center between WFC2 and WFC 3. Nice place!
do you have pics of this?

Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
do you have pics of this?
I agree. Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM

850 posts, read 797,010 times
I am also looking to make a decision about moving to Cal or NY in a year. I know this is a broad question, but does somebody have the experience of living in both cities can tell me which city has nicer people?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's expensive, but a great place if you can afford to deal with it.

The weather is not very good compared to LA.
Much more cultural affairs here, less nightlife.

As many have said, they are apples and oranges.

My biggest finding about the flaw of New York is that it's residents are incredibly sheltered. They know very little, nor appear to care very little of life going on outside their bubble. Having eating multicultural food is fairly different than having visited other cultures. The inability to leave the city easily because of lack of cars makes their realm of comfort a very short distance.

"Los Angeles" so often encompasses a whole of Southern California. Palm Trees are abundant, but the beach is COLD. Try Hawaii or Florida for real paradise-laden tropical dreams.

MONEY talks a lot on these forums.

For every $40K you'd have in LA, you'd need $70K in Manhattan.
Realistically though, pay doesn't work that way except a few choice professions.

Best of luck.
new york city has less nightlife then LA? First time im seeing or hearing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City