Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 31,721 times

Advertisements

The co-op building that i live .. installed new elevators and they have high pitch beeping sound which i can hear in my apartment because i live near the elevator.
I asked co-op board president and she gave me statement that its required due to safety for elevator.
Old elevators that we had no sound prior.
have u dealt with something like this? is it true ? can beep be turned off or at least lower volume?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM

115 posts, read 190,495 times
I had the same problem. I solved it by moving to a 5 floor walk up.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Often we get accustomed to such noises.
When I moved into my last apartment, although I was across the hall from the compactor room and down a ways I could hear every bag of garbage go clattering down (from 20 stories above.) All of a sudden I just stopped hearing it.
Same with water running in pipes in walls.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

I own an apartment.. it has been 8 month and i still hear it. is anything could be done by elevator company or coop ? like lowering volume of elevators beeps... installing sound proof door.
The point also that this beep potentially decreased selling power of my apartment vs elevator without beep.

Last edited by kapaoke; 09-25-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapaoke View Post
I own an apartment.. it has been 8 month and i still hear it. is anything could be done by elevator company or coop ?
Why would you ask that question here? I should think that asking the co-op board or the elevator company would get much better results.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM

i did approach board president but she gave me rules and regulation type of answer without trying to understand or anything.. i did send fax to management company.. i did send email to co-op boar email.. have not heard from any of them yet. just want to see if anyone dealt with it and if there are really rules and regulations about elevator beeps etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Why would you ask that question here? I should think that asking the co-op board or the elevator company would get much better results.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I hate hearing air traffic over my neighborhoo.

We never had it before until about 2 years ago. It is annoying, and maddening. Then days go by I don't hear it.

Who do i complain to?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM

I hear ambulances, I hear police cars, I hear trucks, every motor vehicle that is put in reverse goes BEEP BEEP...welcome to Manhattan.

I went to Tottenville yesterday...I heard NOTHING. Perhaps at night the crickets chirp? Sort of like the movies when the hero wakes up and finds there is nobody else left on Earth...EEERIE!

My point? There is always a place for those who demand silence...and New York isn't one of them, except for Tottenville.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,246 times
I live in a newly constructed apt (not a co-op) that had the same issue. The next time the elevator broke down, I stuck a note in the elevator for the repairman to please disable the beep, and he did.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM

When does the beep BEEP?
When the doors open on your floor?

Here's a hint to elimante hallway noises from entering your apartment: SEAL the door. A good seal is a vinly V-seal with one sticky side to ahere to the jamb. The other leg is compresseed when the goor is closed. (Alas, Home Depot doesn't carry it anymore.)
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...875456,00.html
A cheap vinyl glue-on doorsweep completes the bottom seal.

Remember sound will find it's way through the smallest opening...that's the way it is with long waves, so do all 4 sides of the door.

I got tired of hearing people chatting as they walked the hallway and my seal worked WONDERS. I had the only apartment on the floor from which you couldn't hear the TV playing.

Don't use the FOAM type weatherstrip or you have to battle to get the door shut every time.

I'm sure that will solve any elevator sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City