Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 AM

31 posts, read 124,694 times

Advertisements

I am a female from Europe and would like to know what is the etiquette in meeting local New Yorkers on the streets, subway etc.

I am very interested in meeting locals, but I feel like many people that come to talk to me are either just interested in small talk .. or are very private and probably lie about things or just fake.

The last time I visited I had people(males and surprisingly not creepy looking ones that trying to sell you some cd's but like regular guys that SEEM honest) coming to me and commenting on my hair or looks or just like asking where I'm from and I just replied and said thanks.
Is it okay to keep talking and do they "actually" wanna get to know me better or it's just what they do on a daily basis.. Things like that really don't happen here where I live so I'm not used to it, but I like how open people are but obviously you cant trust everyone. I'm not naive...more suspicious and cautious when it comes to meeting people randomly on the streets, but being overly cautious is not good when I honestly want to meet people and trust them and get to know them.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
If someone approaches you on the street or subway and acts overly friendly, they are probably going to ask you for money.
It's happened to me on many occasions. Just beware that in the big city there are a lot of people out there who are looking to scam others.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM

No, none of them have asked for money.
They have just randomly came up to me and told me that I have a nice smile or whatever. They don't seem like scammers to me. And trust me I can tell when the person is trying to scam me

Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Proper ettiquette for greeting new yorkers:

When we pass by on horseback, stand out of the way with back to the wall and keep your eyes humbly downcast.

If we pass on foot, kneel and look down.

If we deign to greet you, make a curtsey and ask to kiss our ring.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM

222 posts, read 715,061 times
I think you would do better speaking to random people in a nicer setting than the street or the subway. Why not try a bookstore, a cafe, a museum or a sporting event? You could also go to a bar and talk to the locals. Use your intuition here and pick a "nice" place. I hate to say this but you should keep your eyes on your drink at all times. I've heard of cases where females have had their drinks spiked.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
I think you would do better speaking to random people in a nicer setting than the street or the subway. Why not try a bookstore, a cafe, a museum or a sporting event? You could also go to a bar and talk to the locals. Use your intuition here and pick a "nice" place. I hate to say this but you should keep your eyes on your drink at all times. I've heard of cases where females have had their drinks spiked.

Good luck.
I agree with the above. I don't think you are going to meet people and really get to know random people on the subway or the street. Another option might be in Central Park sitting on a bench, but then again you need to be careful.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Go to a bar, people love talking to other people at bars

Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratu View Post
No, none of them have asked for money.
They have just randomly came up to me and told me that I have a nice smile or whatever. They don't seem like scammers to me. And trust me I can tell when the person is trying to scam me

Nothing wrong with being polite and friendly when another person approaches you. I love New York City but after living here two years I have come to realize that if you are not proactive in meeting new people and initiating friendships you could very well live here for several years and not have any.

Meetup.com has a lot of cool groups and is a great way to meet new people.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 AM

Thank you!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I occasionally pass innocuous pleasantries to strangers around me, usually something a bit witty. Sometimes it's met with a smile and a welcome conversation sometimes with a murderous glare.
That's life.

Try asking someone for directions on the street. First you get a two second recooil UNTIL the point they ascertain you are NOT asking for money...then they are happy to talk to you. (As often giving WRONG information as RIGHT...but that's for another conversation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: