Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,588,316 times

Advertisements

Some may disagree with me here, but my take is this> Escalators are for lazy people or people whom have conditions that prevent them from taking stairs. Now do you feel that people who refuse to run down a flight of stairs should moan and complain to those riding the escalator for not moving to the side so that they can speed up their escalator ride? If you ask me, if the person is in such a rush, why not just take the stairs? Even when the escalator is packed and theres nowhere to move, I see these same people moaning and groaning about not being able to pass. Now if there is ONLY an escalator present at a specific subway station, I can understand thier frustration.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
stand to the right, walk to the left - both sides can be perfectly happy with a little consideration and respect

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,588,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
stand to the right, walk to the left - both sides can be perfectly happy with a little consideration and respect
Sounds easy. Ever rode the escalator at Penn Station? LOL. Its packed, not to mention many people with luggage. If the person wants to walk so bad, why not just walk down the stairs?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM

147 posts, read 314,647 times
People are hypocrites...and not always logical. NYC is no exception.

Standing to one side (usually the right) on an escalator that is wide enough to fit two people should make as much "common-sense" to people as pulling over to one side of the road as opposed to putting your car in Park in the middle of the road. People don't normally think "I should stand on the same side as everyone else is standing so people can pass." They have better things to worry about, like how to best ogle the provocatively dressed woman a few steps up, or talking with their friends about [insert pointless subject here] with their BFFs.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,705,918 times
Mice & rats first

Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,790 times
Stand to the right, walk to the left. It's not hard. And I just say excuse me if someone is standing to the left, and they usually move.

Walking up the escalator is faster than walking up the stairs. At the station where I get out in the morning, the two escalators are set to both go in the direction of people exiting the station because of the crowds. Therefore, the stairs are packed with people entering the station. Not faster to exit that way.

It's really not hard. It's just a courtesy. I am not a person that likes to stand still, even for a 2 minute ride up an escalator. I'd rather walk up and burn a couple calories and get to work that 2 minutes earlier.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,679,040 times
Walking on conveyor transport, like an escalator, a lot faster than walking up the stairs. Ever used those moving sidewalks at the airport? Much faster.
It's really not that hard to be courteous to everyone else and stand to the right. When I'm on an escalator with luggage or a cart, I typically hold the luggage on the stair below me, not next to me. I see other people doing the same.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM

141 posts, read 353,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
This is the understood 'rule of thumb' at the 59th Street subway. Midtown is always like this and there's a very good reason this is so (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Sounds easy. Ever rode the escalator at Penn Station? LOL. Its packed, not to mention many people with luggage. If the person wants to walk so bad, why not just walk down the stairs?
Penn station, unlike 59th Street subway is primarily full of people arriving from many out of city destinations. NJ, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, upstate and a dozen other places, whereas midtown is a primarily a daily dose of local New Yorkers going to and from work. That bit about "why don't they take the stairs if..." is a wish that will remain unfulfilled so why even entertain it? A little common sense will tell you that standing to one side and walking up another makes...well...sense!
Anyone who's lived in NYC for a long time gets this. Very rare is it that someone will block the entire width at 59th. Myself and others will almost always excuse themselves to get past, and I've noticed that when this happens the person who sees it usually recognizes why and understands.
It's simple courtesy to allow as much choice as possible. One shouldn't expect this at Penn Station simply because the daily majority are not just daily commuters but lots of one time visitors as well.

When in Rome.....

Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
Quote:
Some may disagree with me here, but my take is this> Escalators are for lazy people or people whom have conditions that prevent them from taking stairs. Now do you feel that people who refuse to run down a flight of stairs should moan and complain to those riding the escalator for not moving to the side so that they can speed up their escalator ride? If you ask me, if the person is in such a rush, why not just take the stairs? Even when the escalator is packed and theres nowhere to move, I see these same people moaning and groaning about not being able to pass. Now if there is ONLY an escalator present at a specific subway station, I can understand thier frustration.

What are your thoughts?
You asked about escalator etiquette, but it seems more like you're ranting against the existence of escalators in the first place.

Do you also have a problem with the way people walk up and down stairs?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM

34,111 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
There is no etiquette in NYC. You want to see escalator etiquette, go to London. I was afraid to stand on the left side for fear of what would happen to me. Lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: