Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

There is no rental shortage. You can find a new apartment in NY provided that you have proof of income outside of FEMA.

If someone was working before the storm, they should have things like bank account statements, tax returns, W2s, etc.

If you have none of this, you won't get a new apartment anyway. Since when do landlords rent to people who can't pay the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no rental shortage. You can find a new apartment in NY provided that you have proof of income outside of FEMA.
What if they didn't have a job when their home was destroyed?

Then it's called a "rental shortage" for THEM.

You have to realize that not everyone is as "perfect" as YOU in picking up their lives.

Quote:
If you have none of this, you won't get a new apartment anyway. Since when do landlords rent to people who can't pay the rent?
Well, the shelter system it is then.

The supposed richest city in the world is really the "poorest", isn't it?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM

If they were not working/broke before the storm, that's an entirely different issue. Of course they're going to be broke after the storm, DUH! And if that's the case, homelessness was an issue for them before or about to be an issue.

Anyway with a job or who was working before the storm will ultimately find another place to stay the same way they found the place they were staying in.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If they were not working/broke before the storm, that's an entirely different issue. Of course they're going to be broke after the storm, DUH! And if that's the case, homelessness was an issue for them before or about to be an issue.

Anyway with a job or who was working before the storm will ultimately find another place to stay the same way they found the place they were staying in.
I'm just referring to your very cavalier attitude about if they aren't as fortunate as YOU were to get your own place, then "oh well, f__k 'em".

Or they might have jobs, but have bad credit and not be able to afford a place big enough for a family. Most people with homes usually have a bunch of people living with them and may need 2 or 3 bedrooms.

There's so many people who aren't living YOUR "perfect" life.

I just need for you to understand this and not just you, but the "ivory tower" folks who talk the same nonsense.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm just referring to your very cavalier attitude about if they aren't as fortunate as YOU were to get your own place, then "oh well, f__k 'em".

Or they might have jobs, but have bad credit and not be able to afford a place big enough for a family. Most people with homes usually have a bunch of people living with them and may need 2 or 3 bedrooms.

There's so many people who aren't living YOUR "perfect" life.

I just need for you to understand this and not just you, but the "ivory tower" folks who talk the same nonsense.
My life is FAR from perfect.

However, I'm an adult. I don't cry and expect people to do everything for me.

I found an apartment post hurricane sandy the same way I found previous apartments. I typically use real estate brokers.

For those with jobs, its their responsibility to have good credit and pay their bills. If one's credit is too bad to get an apartment, then its your responsibility to pay off those bills. In the meantime, you may have to rent a room somewhere. It maybe uncomfortable, but that is YOUR problem, and NO ONE else's.

As for those with homes, a friend of mine who lived in his parents house was displaced by the hurricane. The parents got an one bedroom, my friend (who had a job) rented a ROOM somewhere. (not sure what happened to his brother, I didn't ask). Obviously if they are children they stay with the parents, but if they're old enough to support themselves, then they have to do what they have to do.

Or alternatively, sit around and complain and whine. You'll end up in the shelter, or perhaps in the streets. And it will be entirely your fault for not taking care of YOUR business!

For the record, though I lost my place and most of my possessions, I did not go around telling sob stories. Instead, I went ahead with rebuilding my LIFE! For those into SOB stores, CRY ME A RIVER and grow up! Truthfully, I have little to no sympathy for stupid people!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
My life is FAR from perfect.
Could have fooled me.

Quote:
However, I'm an adult. I don't cry and expect people to do everything for me.

I found an apartment post hurricane sandy the same way I found previous apartments. I typically use real estate brokers.
You were fortunate enough to have money and great credit to do this and be selective. Not everyone has YOUR options is what I'm saying.

Quote:
For those with jobs, its their responsibility to have good credit and pay their bills.
Millions of americans have bad credit due to unforeseen circumstances like a job loss which probably set them back aways. Maybe some of the Sandy victims were in the process of trying to re-organize their finances when this storm came.

Quote:
If one's credit is too bad to get an apartment, then its your responsibility to pay off those bills. In the meantime, you may have to rent a room somewhere.
And where are their 4 kids, plus grandma supposed to sleep or stay???

Quote:
It maybe uncomfortable, but that is YOUR problem, and NO ONE else's.
This was a disaster totally out of their control. It's not just THEIR problem. It's these particular issues that handouts and entitlement programs SHOULD BE USED for.

This country and this city in particular is sickening.

Of course it is. It wouldn't be the fault of a disaster that decimated the east coast forcing the president to come out to inspect for himself and having George Christie basically turning on his party by kissing the prez's butt for federal aid, would it?

Quote:
For the record, though I lost my place and most of my possessions, I did not go around telling sob stories. Instead, I went ahead with rebuilding my LIFE! For those into SOB stores, CRY ME A RIVER and grow up!
Yeah! Freaking losers.

Last edited by marilyn220; 01-19-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
FEMA does not provide long term support. They just don't, and they never have.

They don't provide temporary support either. No tents here. No generators. ****, local rescue workers were feeding FEMA workers!

Its up to the disaster victim ultimately to figure out how to rebuild their lives.

No one said otherwise. Still, kinda hard when you have nothing. Your work clothes are in the ocean. Hundreds of people still don't have power even in cases where the house is livable. You may have lost your job. Family can only help so much. Insurance isn't paying or paying very little. You've exhausted your savings just to get a roof over your head and clothes for your back.

And insurance does pay claims, I had renters insurance during the storm and I got compensated for my losses.

Lucky you. You rented. Big deal. $10K, $20K for contents? Hardly comparable to losing an entire property and everything on it. My friend had mandatory flood insurance which was supposed to cover any type of wind or water event on her house. Cost her a fortune. Most people in that area did. House is a total loss. The insurance IS NOT PAYING THEM. They are screwing everyone around. They didn't pay for Irene either.

And yes, its up to the disaster victim to ultimately get a new job. Can it be hard? Yes, but so is life in general. So what?

She had a job. Still does. Dunno if it's the same one though. Took a month to find an apartment and was lucky as it was a friend of a friend. Others are still looking. She's rebuilding.
Seriously, Moderator cut: Personal attack?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Could have fooled me.

You were fortunate enough to have money and great credit to do this and be selective. Not everyone has YOUR options is what I'm saying.

Millions of americans have bad credit due to unforeseen circumstances like a job loss which probably set them back aways. Maybe some of the Sandy victims were in the process of trying to re-organize their finances when this storm came.

And where are their 4 kids, plus grandma supposed to sleep or stay???

Yeah! Freaking losers.
Well, if they don't get it together, they will be sleeping in the shelter. No landlord is going to go, oh, you have 4 kids and a grandmother, I'm going to on easy on you.

Btw, I've known families to stay in shelters after hurricanes, while the parents looked for work and new apartments. Better than being outside in the cold.

As I said, the person who goes through the disaster will have to do what they must to rebuild their lives. No one else can really do it for you. And sob stories grow old after a few minutes.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?
FEMA does sent money, which is temporary support. Anyone who had damage in Zone A was able to apply. If you got a big claim from your homeowner's insurance, you weren't eligible, but if for some reason you weren't covered by homeowner's you could get FEMA.

Beyond what help you get from FEMA and/or disaster unemployment, it is your responsibility to get a new job . Tell whatever sob stories that you want to tell, no landlord is going to buy it . You have to have money and/or a job or you will be out in the streets. That's simply the way the society functions.

And a bad economy isn't an excuse for not having a job. Not when dealing with landlords, banks, mortgages, etc. All they know is you don't have money to pay. So people affected by this hurricane will have to put themselves in the job market like anyone else.

As for losing work clothes, there are charities that help. Beyond that, if they were working, they may have savings they could use to buy clothes. If they were covered by renters or homeowner's insurance that will provide money for clothes lost. Or they can buy work clothes on credit cards. Either way, they will have to figure out something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City